Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, does anyone know if any of the trails that lead up the 14ers in Colorado are bike accessible? I've been talking to some friends and it seems like a great idea. The reward of a long descent after a brutal climb puts a smile on my face.

_MK

·
ride
5,275 Posts
I haven't done it but a buddy of mine has done Mt Elbert. Brutal climb but a long, long, long screamin' descent. I think some other mtbr folk have done this, too. If I remember correctly, there was a post in the Front Range Board a while back about this.

here's one:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=16271&highlight=elbert

I seem to remember another though...

·
Registered
668 Posts
ignazjr said:
I haven't done it but a buddy of mine has done Mt Elbert. Brutal climb but a long, long, long screamin' descent. I think some other mtbr folk have done this, too. If I remember correctly, there was a post in the Front Range Board a while back about this.

here's one:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=16271&highlight=elbert

I seem to remember another though...
Ditto on Elbert. I think Shavano or one of the southern peaks of the Collegiates are also bikable via a mining road. I don't know for certain, but I gotta think that Mt. Bross is doable by mnining road as well...

Of course, there's Evans and Pikes, but that's kind of...ummmm....

·
Registered
668 Posts
DLine said:
Ditto on Elbert. I think Shavano or one of the southern peaks of the Collegiates are also bikable via a mining road. I don't know for certain, but I gotta think that Mt. Bross is doable by mnining road as well...

Correction - not Shavano, but Antero. It looks like you could get to at least 13,800 on a bike...

http://www.14ers.com/photos/MtAntero/p_mtantero_route1.html

Bross definitely looks do-able:

http://www.14ers.com/photos/MtBross/p_mtbross_route1.html

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Elbert, eh? Thanks.

_MK

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
DLine said:

You can get high on Princeton via a road, and good singletrack, but the last 1000 ft would be hellacious. Mt. Grays could also is pretty easily done.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
TheSherpa said:
You can get high on Princeton via a road, and good singletrack, but the last 1000 ft would be hellacious. Mt. Grays could also is pretty easily done.
Doesn't Montezuma's Revenge head up that way? I think they're pretty much hiking at that point tho.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Make sure you post this on the CO FR board

I'd love to try this, and I'm sure a few others would too. We'll hafta pick a pack o' peaks to pedal.

Just have to make sure it's in June/July before the permanent afternoon T-storm season hits :eek: Guess I better start riding a little more. There's not a lot of air at 12k ft, 14's gonna be tough...betcha the views are worth it :D

There's already a 4th of July Kenosha/Breck ride that was talked about too. Could be a busy summer.

Ahhh...alpine biking :D Not the greatest of pix, but I always like lookin' at 'em...

Attachments

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Awesome, I didn't know any of the 14ers were rideable. I've hiked Sneffels and Yale, and they almost wasted this flatlander---the worst part was walking down the mountain with legs of jello---but a descent on a bike would be WAY better. My hat's off to anyone that can muster all that climbing on a bike.

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
Debaser said:
Doesn't Montezuma's Revenge head up that way? I think they're pretty much hiking at that point tho.
Yea, they come from a different side though, which is Class 2. "No Clue What It's Called" Gulch trailhead right off of I-70 is the one i'm talking about, which is all Class 1. Nevere done it on a bike, but i've hiked it twice and summited once and i'd be doable with some hike-a-bike.

·
Registered
668 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Yea, they come from a different side though, which is Class 2. "No Clue What It's Called" Gulch trailhead right off of I-70 is the one i'm talking about, which is all Class 1. Nevere done it on a bike, but i've hiked it twice and summited once and i'd be doable with some hike-a-bike.
The lower trail would be fine, I think, but the upper section where you switchback across a talus field several times would be rough. That's what makes alot of peaks unridable above treeline that otherwise would go - vast fields of irregular and loose rock.

There's a pretty big, fun snowfield in the saddle til early June for great corn skiing, FWIW.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.