Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one. I got a bad saddle sore after last spin class. I get them on my bike too. I have a great pair of biking shorts but I still have problems in the crotch area. My junk is always shifting around and it rubs. The shorts are a good fit and new and clean. My bud has a seat which looks like a thin piece of plastic. He says it helps him slide around more on the saddle.

So has anyone anything to say about such a saddle?

Would wearing underarmour tights inder the shorts help?

Any help?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Saddle choice is really important. But since everyone's behind is as different as each own's personality it's a costly process of 'buy and try' unless your LBS is nice and will let you try a bunch out.

I'm 185cm and pretty thin with narrow hips. So my WTB Shadow V does it for me. Since I ride a lot, my butt is used to being on a saddle so I don't like a lot of padding- but I like my saddles narrow and flat.

If you've got a large specialized dealer around you, they should have a special saddle fitting device that will point you in the direction of the right saddle for you.

Another thing worth looking into is some anti-chafe cream. There's a host of sport products, cycling specific and good ol' vaseline (what I use on enduro's). It may seam a bit odd rubbing cream around there, but it's worth the lack of pain later on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
greaz it up!

Ditto. Grease that chamiois like a slip and slide! Using something like Chamois Buttr' works great. I've also had better comfort with bib shorts but they still need "lubed" before riding.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bag Balm

Put some Bag Balm on the affected area at bedtime too. It promotes healing, you can use it while riding, but it's greasy and ruins your clothes, but it's great on the already sore bottom and very cheap.

·
vegan cyclocross disco
282 Posts
I think a lot has to do with the chamois also. Our team just switched to Voler and I have noticed an increase in sores with the new shorts. Bike setup and saddle are the same. Last year my team kit was by pactimo and that chamois was great. I just need to use chamois butt'r with the volers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Clean before and clean after.
Be sure to change out of your riding shorts soon as you are finished riding. Dont stand around talking or wear your riding shorts home, get them nasty things off soon as you are finished! Nothing between your bum and the chamois so skip the Underarmor. Never wear dirty riding shorts. If you are riding 3 times a week have a least 3 pair of shorts. Ive found that spending a little extra $$ is worth it when it comes to shorts. Make sure your saddle fits your "sit bones" Sit down on a curb, where you feel pressure on your sit bones on the curb is the same way a saddle that fits should feel. More padding is not always better but I dont care for no padding either. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.