Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off....a gorgeous day today...I hope everyone here got to get out and enjoy it (without damaging trails of course). I think it's safe to say that winter is on it's way out the door and spring should be arriving early. Yippee!!!

I headed out to Wilson Creek earlier today. As I was getting ready, I saw the Big D a.k.a. Daryl drive by.

As usual...I had no clue what trails I was on....Bingo...NW Passage....those names are foreign to me. I know I did get on 500. For some odd reason I was not doing well going up it (going down was hella fun though!!!). I just kept losing my balance and dabbing. Then I got onto 411 which eventually led me down into Reynolds Canyon. Since my bike skills are extremely suck ass right now, I didn't go further down. So I just turned around and retraced my route and headed back to my car. Definately not an epic'ish ride, but still fun for me.

When I got back to my car, I noticed some riders at the other parking lot so I rode up to say hello and to see if they were from here. They weren't. They were just wrapping up their ride too. Daryl's car was there too, but he was nowhere in sight.

I then got back to my car and started loading up when lo and behold the Custom Cycle crew comes rolling up. They were heading up to do Bingo I guess (now I have a somewhat general idea of where Bingo is). I told Jon that Daryl was out there too so hopefully they ran into him.

While on my way out to Wilson Creek, when I passed by Givens Hot Springs, I noticed a a lone car with two road bikes on the back and found that to be odd since it was Givens Hot Springs that we're talking about. When I was driving home, I noticed a number of cars with bike racks there so I figured that there had to be some group ride going on. Well when I got to Snake River Mart, I saw about half a dozen riders there (one wearing a LRC jersey) taking a break.

Eric or Swede....were you part of that ride? I didn't recognize anyone in that group that I saw If you did ride it...what was your route? I've always wanted to do a road ride on 78...it has a decent enough shoulder. I'm just sometimes skittish when cars whiz by me though.

I don't have any plans next weekend so I'll probably be out in the 2O again. On Super Bowl Sunday I'll probably get in a ride out at Wilson Creek hopefully starting around 10am or so.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Nick

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Jinx

BelaySlave said:
I think it's safe to say that winter is on it's way out the door and spring should be arriving early
I hope you didn't jinx us all :madman: :p

Sorry, Nick. I couldn't resist. Glad you had a good ride.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
BelaySlave said:
While on my way out to Wilson Creek, when I passed by Givens Hot Springs, I noticed a a lone car with two road bikes on the back and found that to be odd since it was Givens Hot Springs that we're talking about. When I was driving home, I noticed a number of cars with bike racks there so I figured that there had to be some group ride going on. Well when I got to Snake River Mart, I saw about half a dozen riders there (one wearing a LRC jersey) taking a break.

Eric or Swede....were you part of that ride? I didn't recognize anyone in that group that I saw If you did ride it...what was your route? I've always wanted to do a road ride on 78...it has a decent enough shoulder. I'm just sometimes skittish when cars whiz by me though.
Nick, I was one of the riders that you saw in Marsing. There were six of us total. We parked at Givens Hot Springs, and headed east on 78, crossed the river at Dan's Ferry, headed west on Map Rock Road, weaved around a bit to Marsing, then back to Givens on 78. Total was about 42 miles, and other than a good headwind on the western end of Map Rock, it was a nice ride. Afterward we all took a dip in the Hot Springs and then headed back to Boise.

It's a nice route, and not a lot of traffic. The pavement on the Canyon Co. side of the river is a bit rough, but the Owhyee side is smooth.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Birthday Ride

Nick,

it was good to see ya, although I didn't pull in and chat with you, I felt I was a bit late starting, but want to ride out there with you for sure. Glad you got a ride in out there, and hope we can ride together sometime soon.

I did my Birthday ride today and I'm not going to tell the board how old I am! :eekster:

Anyway, I will say I am almost a member of the 40# club; the Reign is coming in right at around 36 1/2 lbs with the Azonic Outlaw wheelset. I rode in flats and actually liked it, but I think I can get shoes with better grip than these Vans BMX shoes I've had for super long time.

Bingo was fun and I'm going to get better at hitting the little huck rocks faster. I need to learn to match the angle of my front end to the ground, rather than pulling up all the time out of fear and landing on my rear wheel, which isn't necessary always or even desirable, like on a downslope. So I have to work on that.

At the top of "Fred's Chute", I left my bike up and hiked down to see if I could see some new lines. I found one at the top and found one about midway down the chute. I kept looking at it and wasn't sure, I rolled it good but slid a bit at the bottom then tried it two more times and cleaned it the 3rd one. The one at the top is just going straight down rather than through the narrow chute to the right. I think Patrick and Al may have went straight down.

Jack (Piltdown) was back at the lot enjoyng post-ride beverage amongst more horse riders I've ever seen parked there before! Jack is VERY interested in seeing the area become non-motorized, and the main concern is the 4 wheelers working their way onto the mtn bike trails and singletracks and destroying them.

·
Registered
320 Posts
it wasn't me, but...

i wish it was. I like riding along 78. The traffic isn't that plentiful, and the shoulder is good.

Eric, next time you are riding over in my neck of the woods give me a heads up. I like that loop. I just did a loop around the lake with a couple of detours.

ps...whoever came up with the idea of chip seal should be shot IMNSHO

·
Registered
320 Posts
yep.

it connects with 45 just above dans ferry and runs on the other side of the snake than 78...

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
lv2ride said:
Eric, next time you are riding over in my neck of the woods give me a heads up. I like that loop. I just did a loop around the lake with a couple of detours.

ps...whoever came up with the idea of chip seal should be shot IMNSHO
Yeah, the chip seal is pretty rough. I was glad when we finally hit "real" pavement. :)

Are you on the LRC e-mail list? One of the riders posted the ride there and was looking for anyone that wanted to go to join in. We had a decent turn out for a winter day.

There was talk of riding form Kuna to Swan Falls Dam and back in two weeks - assuming the weather holds out. Hopefully that works out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
eric

i sent you a pm with the info if you could please pass it on I would appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.