Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from the Black Hills of SD and I am looking at a Nursing internship in Boise at St Luke's Hospital this summer. What is the riding like down there? I own a 2009 Kona Coilair that weighs in at 38 Ibs. What is the downhill/freeride scene like down there? I am willing to climb, but I want to be rewarded with rippin downhills:thumbsup:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Luke's is a great system to work for. Fortunately for you, you could be on dirt in less than a half mile from the hospital. The Military Reserve begins only a couple blocks away.

I am mostly a XC rider and I believe that we are very blessed with so many miles of trails so close to town. Most lower trails are less than technical. I believe that any downhill that you earn is great downhill.

http://www.ridgetorivers.org/

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Mountainbikextremist said:
I am from the Black Hills of SD and I am looking at a Nursing internship in Boise at St Luke's Hospital this summer. What is the riding like down there? I own a 2009 Kona Coilair that weighs in at 38 Ibs. What is the downhill/freeride scene like down there? I am willing to climb, but I want to be rewarded with rippin downhills:thumbsup:
Its actually pretty good, theres the bike park, the hills and such during spring summer are loaded with GOOD runs. My wifes a RN at st. lukes downtown.
The reserve is XC but still good training and fun, theres a few little spots locally below snow line if you end up here and Im still here not back in Socal Id be happy to hook up and ride as would several of us gravity guys.
Im from Socal so it takes a bit to get used to it but its OK.

·
just a man
1,865 Posts
bullcrew - I thought you had moved back to Socal quite a while ago. Didn't know you were still in town. We rode MR that one time a few years ago if you remember. Would like to get out for a ride this Spring & Summer.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Bombin4X said:
bullcrew - I thought you had moved back to Socal quite a while ago. Didn't know you were still in town. We rode MR that one time a few years ago if you remember. Would like to get out for a ride this Spring & Summer.
Yeah Im doen to ride, almost all the time Jerry, mike and I are trying to get more time on the bikes before sea otter and the season. So yeah Im down to ride some XC (youll have to wait for me a bit 6 months off the bike with a broken back) my cardio is shot completely or am, the bike park when it dries etc.... Yeah Im in for a ride!

·
Unicycles are for clowns
329 Posts
Well

We have a pretty big trail system which is great, however almost all of it is not technical at all, (most can be ridden with a cyclocross or fully rigid MTB) there has been great improvements at building some technical trails, but you probably will be a bit disappointed. Boise is still a bit behind in embracing the changes in mountain biking. As mentioned, the bike park is a great, a few trails around Table Rock are good but very short, and all the others won't be accessible until the snow melts; most of us are skiing or snowboarding this time of year anyway; I just hope more snow is on the way. Most riders here are XC types. However as mentioned trails are very close to St. Lukes.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Agree with KUNA on the surface its limited if you know where to look and go theres plenty of stuff a hsort drive as well as spring/summer opens some pretty decent stuff including a 18 mile single track in the mountains... STUPID steep like no stopping just a semi controlled lside in lonr woods run areas... Its pretty sick plus theres stuff by mcall thats pretty gnar and if tamarack opens theres a few runs they were building before it shut down that were pretty decent.

·
Fly fat ass fly !
166 Posts
You might be happier on a sub 30lb. bike here . You have to pedal for everything here .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.