Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

heres the deal. should have an english-teaching job in japan. at the moment i could go to osaka in february or wait until may and teach in tokyo. i wanna choose the place with the best 'bike scene' even if i have to travel a couple hours to go riding.

so have any of you dudes been biking in japan, know of some cool places to ride etc :confused:

cheers

· Registered
38 Posts
carl0s said:
hey guys,

heres the deal. should have an english-teaching job in japan. at the moment i could go to osaka in february or wait until may and teach in tokyo. i wanna choose the place with the best 'bike scene' even if i have to travel a couple hours to go riding.

so have any of you dudes been biking in japan, know of some cool places to ride etc :confused:

cheers
Nagano is probably the best area. Check out Fujimi Panorama.

· Registered
710 Posts
Don't know about biking, but did you know that Japan has the highest ski area to square milage in the whole world? Small little Japan has close to TWICE as many ski areas/resorts as the ENTIRE North American continent.

There are over 500 ski resorts in Japan.

· Banned
683 Posts
carl0s said:
hey guys,

cheers
I am in Japan. From Tokyo, Fujimi is about 3 hours....but it is well worth the drive...especially if you camp out. I have never been up to Nagano, but I think it is another couple of hours away. Where I am stationed is 28 miles from Tokyo (because of traffic it could take two hours though). There are some great places to ride close to us...ranging from some good tech DH, to Med XC...to beginner XC.....so there is a little bit of everything. We are going to take a trip tomorrow to Lake Okatama, supposedly there is a very long high speed DH single track. As for Osaka...I am not so sure. I have heard it is nice there, but am not sure. I do know there is a lot of riding near Mt Fuji....so working in Tokyo is a good choice. pm me and I will give you contact info...so when you get here we can ride. Where are you coming from?

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kawboy8 said:
I am in Japan. From Tokyo, Fujimi is about 3 hours....but it is well worth the drive...especially if you camp out. I have never been up to Nagano, but I think it is another couple of hours away. Where I am stationed is 28 miles from Tokyo (because of traffic it could take two hours though). There are some great places to ride close to us...ranging from some good tech DH, to Med XC...to beginner XC.....so there is a little bit of everything. We are going to take a trip tomorrow to Lake Okatama, supposedly there is a very long high speed DH single track. As for Osaka...I am not so sure. I have heard it is nice there, but am not sure. I do know there is a lot of riding near Mt Fuji....so working in Tokyo is a good choice. pm me and I will give you contact info...so when you get here we can ride. Where are you coming from?
cheers for the info

i'm from australia and am looking to head over to japan early to mid next year. i've got a english teaching job offer from NOVA and have to finalise my preferences - osaka in february or tokyo in may. i am definitely leaning towards going to Tokyo. I would be really keen to catch up with you and others for some riding in the 'mystical east'..

· guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
go nova!

Hey,

I'm also an Aussie, and I've just finished my time at nova. It is alright, but you can't do it forever.
Unlike the riding here. I got into it in Japan, and I love Fujimi (just don't hire bikes there - dangerous rubbish!), but this place is closer to me (I'm 40 mins from Tokyo, out east) and it rocks: http://www.takamineyama.com/ (Ibaraki prefecture) Not as many people go there, but Andrew Shandro did (I've got the DVD - wow), and it is a lot of fun.
There is also some good xc riding (pretty extreme xc at that) in the same area, but it isn't on your doorstep like in oz, and you've gotta know my little crew to find it easily. Drop me a line when you arrive.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ntj said:
Hey,

I'm also an Aussie, and I've just finished my time at nova. It is alright, but you can't do it forever.
Unlike the riding here. I got into it in Japan, and I love Fujimi (just don't hire bikes there - dangerous rubbish!), but this place is closer to me (I'm 40 mins from Tokyo, out east) and it rocks: http://www.takamineyama.com/ (Ibaraki prefecture) Not as many people go there, but Andrew Shandro did (I've got the DVD - wow), and it is a lot of fun.
There is also some good xc riding (pretty extreme xc at that) in the same area, but it isn't on your doorstep like in oz, and you've gotta know my little crew to find it easily. Drop me a line when you arrive.
hey mate,

yeah, theres seem to be a bit of a bungle with my location preferences with nova. apparently i find out only 2 weeks before i leave where i will be posted. so did you get your first location preference?? definitely keen to hook up with some people for some riding (hopefully in the kanto region). so are bike parts expensive in japan?

· Banned
683 Posts
ntj said:
Hey,

Hey Man...
Are you riding this weekend?
PM me and I will drop you my cell number. We just found a new trail near Okatoma that is nice...about 20 miles of single track with a little of everything in it. We are riding Sat and Sunday.

· Banned
683 Posts
carl0s said:
cheers for the info

i'm from australia and am looking to head over to japan early to mid next year. i've got a english teaching job offer from NOVA and have to finalise my preferences - osaka in february or tokyo in may. i am definitely leaning towards going to Tokyo. I would be really keen to catch up with you and others for some riding in the 'mystical east'..
Cool,
I have some other buddies I know from Aust and we meet at Fijimi once in a while....but we have yet to hook up and do any riding during the off season. One of them is fast and I like to judge my speed againt him...he is quicker, but I am getting there. A few months ago we meet the Mayor of Fujimi, he fed us and gave us a lot of beer....good thing we got our riding done early...lol.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kawboy8 said:
Cool,
I have some other buddies I know from Aust and we meet at Fijimi once in a while....but we have yet to hook up and do any riding during the off season. One of them is fast and I like to judge my speed againt him...he is quicker, but I am getting there. A few months ago we meet the Mayor of Fujimi, he fed us and gave us a lot of beer....good thing we got our riding done early...lol.
hell yeah man. sounds cool, especially the whole food and beer thing with the mayor. at this stage looks like i'm heading over in early next year. will definitely bring the old trusty hardtail over (kona scab setup for downhill/freeride). i'm interested in doing some dh racing over there as well. i hear japan has a pretty cool national series..

· guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
carl0s said:
hey mate,

yeah, theres seem to be a bit of a bungle with my location preferences with nova. apparently i find out only 2 weeks before i leave where i will be posted. so did you get your first location preference?? definitely keen to hook up with some people for some riding (hopefully in the kanto region). so are bike parts expensive in japan?
Don't stress the nova thing, you will probably end up in Kanto if you requested it. I think it is only difficult if you want to rock up to some beach-front branch in Okinawa or something, and I think Sapporo has a bit of a waiting list too.
Bikes and parts can be a bit chaeper than oz, shimano is quite cheap, and I got my haro here for about $2300AU, the same one goes for $3000 in oz. But my new VP Free was way cheaper than Japan or Australia, ebay is the way! Just don't be a tall person, they are not well-catered for, and bring lots of shoes if you have big feet.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ntj said:
Don't stress the nova thing, you will probably end up in Kanto if you requested it. I think it is only difficult if you want to rock up to some beach-front branch in Okinawa or something, and I think Sapporo has a bit of a waiting list too.
Bikes and parts can be a bit chaeper than oz, shimano is quite cheap, and I got my haro here for about $2300AU, the same one goes for $3000 in oz. But my new VP Free was way cheaper than Japan or Australia, ebay is the way! Just don't be a tall person, they are not well-catered for, and bring lots of shoes if you have big feet.
yeah i guess theres probably lots of teachers needed in the kanto region. i have used an ebay store based in asia before and it was about 40% cheaper than normal retail, so i'll probably buy parts from there.

gonna bring a few pairs of shoes, and lots of toothpaste - i hear the japanese stuff is no good.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
From what I see of Japan on Google Earth, there is DEFINATELY urban riding spots....
Its like urban x100 over there
Some of the best "Urban" riding in Tokyo is just out side the city in Odiba ? wear they have the big tradeshow every year , next to Tokyo big site ! there are grassy doubles and fun stair sets with bike ramps going up and down , plus one of the longest shortest rails I have ever sen in my life .

Other hot spots are the Hiro section of Tokyo and of course Shabuya and Ropongi
It was all kinda a blur to me wile I was there ....

· guidedbybicycles
127 Posts
carl0s said:
yeah i guess theres probably lots of teachers needed in the kanto region. i have used an ebay store based in asia before and it was about 40% cheaper than normal retail, so i'll probably buy parts from there.

gonna bring a few pairs of shoes, and lots of toothpaste - i hear the japanese stuff is no good.
On that note, don't forget deodorant, same deal as toothpaste!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Evil4bc said:
Some of the best "Urban" riding in Tokyo is just out side the city in Odiba ? wear they have the big tradeshow every year , next to Tokyo big site ! there are grassy doubles and fun stair sets with bike ramps going up and down , plus one of the longest shortest rails I have ever sen in my life .

Other hot spots are the Hiro section of Tokyo and of course Shabuya and Ropongi
It was all kinda a blur to me wile I was there ....
i had envisioned that street/park would be the majority of my riding in japan. pretty stoked to hear theres some nice trails outside of tokyo. oh yeah, gonna bring plenty of deodorant for those sweaty dh runs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.