Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got offered a job in either Germany or Italy. I asked for Italy but we'll see if either of them pan out. I looked in the Location Board under the other (Europe) category and saw a few things here and there but thought I would ask in here: How's the All Mountain biking? Good places in Northern Italy? Are there "local" trails throughout or do you have to do more driving to get to the good stuff (again northern italy)? How is LBS support out there?
Anybody have a top 10 list out there? I never saw this coming so I just started my research w/o trying to get my hopes up.

·
over the bars
26 Posts
Germany has lots of trails. I could have rode there for years with out riding the same trails.

Just watch out for walkers.. they are everywhere and I have personally nearly killed some on blind turns.

I think its a law that you install a bell on your bike.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Depends..

... on exactly where in Northern Italy (or Germany). As an example, both the Dolomites and Lake Garda are known MTB hotspots, equal (if not better) to anywhere in the World.

Germany and Italy are totally different countries with totally different things to offer. You should be thinking about a lot more than just the biking implications.

·
crash test dummy
545 Posts
muddywings said:
I got offered a job in either Germany or Italy. I asked for Italy but we'll see if either of them pan out. I looked in the Location Board under the other (Europe) category and saw a few things here and there but thought I would ask in here: How's the All Mountain biking? Good places in Northern Italy? Are there "local" trails throughout or do you have to do more driving to get to the good stuff (again northern italy)? How is LBS support out there?
Anybody have a top 10 list out there? I never saw this coming so I just started my research w/o trying to get my hopes up.
Northern Italy has some amazing mountain biking in the Dolomites. "All mountain" can be hard to find though - Europeans MTBers don't take the same approach to mountain biking as Americans do. They love wide open trails, loooooong, steep ascents, and non-technical, very fast XC trails.

You can find more technical stuff, but it is unlikely to be marked on a map, it will take a while to find, and most likely you'll have to link a number of trails together with fireroads and paved surfaces.

"Northern Italy" and "Germany" are fairly huge and diverse, area-wise. Any specifics on where you'll live? Living in Austria, I don't know much about bike culture in middle/southern Italy, or far northern Germany. LBS support is likely to be superb in Germany, but less so in Italy. Italians are much more into road biking than mtn biking.

The mtn bike movement, compared to the US, is JUST getting started in Europe. Just in the last 3 years, I've seen a ton of development in selection of bikes at LBSs, trail variety, bike parks, and general popularity. 3 years ago, I barely ever saw a DH bike, and now they are sprouting like weeds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.