Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a forum lurker... not because I don't like writing, but rather because I rarely have some passion to write about. But this time I do.

This past weekend I went with family and friends to a place called Þórsmörk here in Iceland. It is a very popular place for camping surrounded by glaciers, glacier rivers and terrific hiking trails. I've hiked some of them in past years but this time around I decided to try some biking.

A group of people decided to try biking the so called Fimmvörðuháls - a very popular hiking trail usually covered in 1-2 days. The most popular route is taken from a waterfall close to the Icelandic shore at Skógar up to a cabin that lies between two glaciers, at about 1040 meter altitude and ending in Þórsmörk. We figured that was best since we were already camped at Þórsmörk. The total route is about 22 kilometers long with the highest point being almost exactly in the middle. Only one river to cross, but a bridge for the hikers is used so no need to get wet. There are quite a few snow spreads to cover at the highest points and very steep hills on the descent to be scared off.

We managed to finish all fine, but it may have been the hardest thing I've ever done. Unfortunately more time was spent off the bike than on, but the time on the saddle was very cool though. Here are some pics from a non-traditional biking trail :)

The fat guy is me, the blonde girl my sister and the fit guy is her boyfriend (he would have finished in half the time if he were alone!!!).

Hope you enjoy...

- Tobbi

·
Fartographer
1,847 Posts
Wow! That's a very cool and epic ride. Anything with snow and some hike-a-bike is good with me! In fact, I did some of that about a week ago here in Utah!. The landscape was a little different, though :)

Glad I got to see that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Photo-John said:
Wow! That's a very cool and epic ride. Anything with snow and some hike-a-bike is good with me! In fact, I did some of that about a week ago here in Utah!. The landscape was a little different, though :)

Glad I got to see that.
Yup, epic might be just the word. And I do enjoy the hike'n'bike thing myself. The day before I hiked from the end of the paved road into Þórsmörk, about 25 kilometers on rough roads meant for 4wd vehicles. A few rivers to cross, some biking, some carrying the bike and getting the feet wet. I was alone doing that so unfortunately I have no photos from there.

However, unfortunately we don't have trails like you do in the US... in fact, hike'n'bike is the standard here, singletrack is the exception. I guess I will have to travel to the States to experience that :)

But I can tell you one thing... there is absolutely no way I'll do this route again until I'm in considerably better shape. And perhaps do it late summer, early fall to get less snow (it was too soft to bike in... but a great exercise for the shoulders :D ).

- Tobbi

·
Registered
9,551 Posts
Looks like you were biking on the moon

What an epic! BTW, just gotta ask, do all you Icelanders speak English like you? I thought this story was being told by someone from the states on a visit to Iceland.

·
Look out!
862 Posts
Fifty some years ago I came into this world in your country. My parents moved back to the states 6 months later. Thank you for giving me a small glimpse of it. Awesome views. Maybe some day I will make a visit.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
xcguy said:
What an epic! BTW, just gotta ask, do all you Icelanders speak English like you? I thought this story was being told by someone from the states on a visit to Iceland.
Most Europeans speak English better than most Americans.
Iceland is on my travel list, now there is just another reason to go, wow!! I want to go to that place where the North Atlantic plate meets the Eurasion plate, and stand with one foot on either side.

~f.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I'm glad I can bring something to the forum :)

It was great... thinking about it now. But during, it was quite hard and trying. Much harder than I expected. But good experience.

xcguy said:
Yup, in Icelandic schools you learn Icelandic as a main language, you start learning Danish in 5th grade I think, and English in the 6th. Icelandic people are generally good when it comes to English but may lack a little in experience using it. As it goes, languages are like sports... you need to exercise. I was also lucky enough to spend 2 years in an American high school in Israel and have also worked at an airline for the last 5 years communicating mostly in English.

mtnbkrid: your parent's worked here at the army base? in any case... in part Icelandic :)

formica: you are talking about the Leif the Lucky Bridge; a bridge that spans the Alfagia rift valley (connecting the Eurasian and North American plates). A fun place to check out, and the whole area is magical. Covered in Lava, lots of good hiking trails (which can be mountain biked). The Blue Lagoon is also close by for a nice dip (in fact we have here once a year something called the Blue Lagoon challenge - a 60 km mountain bike race through the backlands of the Reykjanes peninsula).

bear: chances are the climate will be close... but a little more harsh. In fact, I'd choose the Swedish climate over the Icelandic one if I had the choice. The Swedish women are on par with the Icelandic though :)

- Tobbi

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!

mmmh, Iceland. I was hiking there, too. Actually I did the classic Landmannalaugar-Thorsmörk route two times in the last years. Once in the rain, once in the sun. Both great :thumbsup: !

I am always looking for an excuse to post my Iceland pix... :D

Body of water Nature Natural landscape Winter Sea ice

Body of water Nature Vegetation Grass Natural landscape

Nature Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Landscape

Mountainous landforms Highland Hill Mountain range Mountain

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pooh Bear said:
mmmh, Iceland. I was hiking there, too. Actually I did the classic Landmannalaugar-Thorsmörk route two times in the last years. Once in the rain, once in the sun. Both great :thumbsup: !

I am always looking for an excuse to post my Iceland pix... :D
Great... Laugavegurinn route (Landmannalaugar - Þórsmörk) is a great one. The plan is to bike those 52 kilometers in August. A group of bikers did that a couple of years ago which you can see in these pictures (and here). A beautiful route with some incredible scenery.

And to top it off... here are some of my photos from Iceland. Non-bike related though.

Plan is for a good run next Saturday... hopefully some pics from that as well.

- Tobbi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.