Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading up to Banff for my 13th year in a row. Love the place! Most years have been hiking and mountaineering but this year I hope to do some more biking. Several questions:

1- Bears- am I going to get eaten by a grizzly? I am from Colorado and we have friendly black bears that like to cuddle. Not too worried but sure would like some tips on keeping my arms!

2- Can I ride to Mount Assiniboine for a climb? I was under the impression that the main trail had been closed to bike traffic.

3- Any good recommendations for trails? Will be on my Niner 29er hardtail 1x9. We're basecamping out of the Tunnel Mountain campground but are flexible.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
ASSINIBOINE IS OFF LIMITS to bikes...unfortunately, all of it.

moraine lake (lake louise) is a great trail, rundle/goat from canmore to banff is good and longer, stoney squaw is a fun descent, tunnel has a few very short but legal rides. of course there is also minnewanka, an always classic.

bears are no big deal, just be smart and keep your head up. call parks if you are worried about a particular area, they are actually pretty good to deal with.

i highly recommend moraine lake, great biking and lots of hiking access.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and great shots ferday!

Looks like I'll be hiking if I want to knock of Assiniboine this year!

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
882 Posts
Unfortunate the access to Assiniboine is a no go but........

when it was open it was an amazing ride.
as for the real reason for the closure....... :skep:

:D

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
. Hiking, helicopter, horse and bicycle are acceptable means of access to Mount Assiniboine Park,
although bicycles cannot be used for day-touring within the park.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/planning/mgmtplns/mt_assini/mt_assinib_ps.pdf

iii) Bicycle Access
Discussion:
-Canadian Parks Service regulations impact on access of bicycles to Mount Assiniboine
Park; Bryant Creek Fire Road (Trail) is designated as a bicycle route through Banff Park to
Assiniboine Pass
-use of bikes for activity other than park access is inconsistent with park objectives
BC Parks will permit:
.bicycle access to and from the South Core area only via Assiniboine
Pass

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I understand this correctly, I can bike in as long as I have the Assiniboine Pass and will be camping/climbing?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Lactic said:
So if I understand this correctly, I can bike in as long as I have the Assiniboine Pass and will be camping/climbing?
The way I see it...

Ride South up Goat Creek from Banff..

You will exit the park and enter Kannanakis Country when you reach the top at Spray Reservior

Ride the north side of the reservior quite a ways at upper end you will reach the Bryant Creek Fire Road Trail. (You reenter Banff Park somewhere along this side of the reservior).

Ride up Bryant Creek this eventually rises up Assiniboine Pass...

At the top you enter Assiniboine Prov Park, the bike drop off will be somewhere at the top.

Walk down about 5 km to Naiset Cabins, then up 3 km to Assiniboine Hut. That will be a very long day.

From Assiniboine Hut the North East Ridge (Tourist route is apparant)...

Check with the rangers when you get to Banff, you might have to go on the South side of the reservior...

Alternatively one can drive from Banff to Canmore and up to Spray reservior then on the south to the end of the reservior,

Good luck the biking will cut a very very long hike down to a day's ride...

I have tried Assiniboine 5 times never got to the summit, every time it snowed or rained, and I just don't like getting to a foggy summit...

Be careful people walk off the cornice at the top, even guides every couple of years if it is a whiteout.

It has been many years since I hung out up that way.

·
Registered
288 Posts
lake minniwanka is great shape, 22km campground and back is nice.

ross lake and moraine lake higline is great for lake louise
you can ride the first 8km into mount ass, but NO LONGER then that

rundle loop is a nice mix, but the 24 hours is in canmore this weekend so some of that is busy, runlde riverside is very rutted

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
882 Posts
Interest peaked.

Why did they close it?

From what I could decipher: it came down to couple of issues............

From what I remember the horse companies operating there had the ears of the government and Wardens. (Historical rights or something...they thought) They claimed that there were to many bikers some going going way to fast that they were scaring the horses/riders and eroding the trail. (I guess horses don't erode trail....)
Basic trial access issues with lots of bureaucrcy red tape.
Better organized then the bikers IMHO but I still think wrong.

They had no problem having a helicopter flying over though (Noise polution.) all afternoon. This is for those individuals that did not walk-in or on horseback and for the food/supplies for those at the cabins.

Just my 0.02 cents

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
ferday said:
ASSINIBOINE IS OFF LIMITS to bikes...unfortunately, all of it.

moraine lake (lake louise) is a great trail, rundle/goat from canmore to banff is good and longer, stoney squaw is a fun descent, tunnel has a few very short but legal rides. of course there is also minnewanka, an always classic.

bears are no big deal, just be smart and keep your head up. call parks if you are worried about a particular area, they are actually pretty good to deal with.

i highly recommend moraine lake, great biking and lots of hiking access.
...and good climbing too!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dawgprimo said:
Interest peaked.

Why did they close it?

From what I could decipher: it came down to couple of issues............

From what I remember the horse companies operating there had the ears of the government and Wardens. (Historical rights or something...they thought) They claimed that there were to many bikers some going going way to fast that they were scaring the horses/riders and eroding the trail. (I guess horses don't erode trail....)
Basic trial access issues with lots of bureaucrcy red tape.
Better organized then the bikers IMHO but I still think wrong.

They had no problem having a helicopter flying over though (Noise polution.) all afternoon. This is for those individuals that did not walk-in or on horseback and for the food/supplies for those at the cabins.

Just my 0.02 cents
That summed it up perfectly.. money talks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts