Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with my new frame I’m in need of a longer dropper. Looking at the 213mm bikeyoke revive or the 200mm pnw loam.
I ride a bikeyoke now, and have ridden another in the past. They are my favorite droppers. They work every time, super smooth, quality is great, they don’t rattle at all, etc. only thing that sucks is the price.
The PNW looks nice and has decent reviews. My only concern is that it’s not as smooth and the build might not be as good as the bikeyoke. I just don’t want it to be a rattling mess like my Oneup post was.

Has anyone ridden these 2 posts and have any comments on which to get? Looking at $180 for the PNW and $340 for the bikeyoke

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
So with my new frame I'm in need of a longer dropper. Looking at the 213mm bikeyoke revive or the 200mm pnw loam.
I ride a bikeyoke now, and have ridden another in the past. They are my favorite droppers. They work every time, super smooth, quality is great, they don't rattle at all, etc. only thing that sucks is the price.
The PNW looks nice and has decent reviews. My only concern is that it's not as smooth and the build might not be as good as the bikeyoke. I just don't want it to be a rattling mess like my Oneup post was.

Has anyone ridden these 2 posts and have any comments on which to get? Looking at $180 for the PNW and $340 for the bikeyoke
I haven't used the Loam dropper, but have owned the last two generations of the Bachelor dropper. The Loam replaced the Bachelor. Both my Bachelor droppers were excellent. Smooth and very reliable. The first bachelor I owned developed a bit of play after a few years of use, the next gen even less. They never developed play like I've seen from other droppers like RaceFace and OneUp V1. PNW seems to make meaningful improvements every time they update a product.

I really liked that you could adjust the speed of the dropper return rate by adjusting air pressure. My wife liked a slower return, while I like it be quicker.

The thing I like most about PNW, they are committed to sustainability. Dropper post trade in program, lifetime warranty...

The owners are really good people as well.

·
Registered
14,395 Posts
In my opinion, for the revive to become a competitive post in the market again it needs to be half the price that it is. That or offer more drop than the 3mm over a Oneup (obviously it's competitor in the market with 213mm of drop vs 210), or have substantially less stack somehow, or be 200 or 300g lighter. None of which it is.

With that said I'm sure it's a fine post. Kudos to revive for re-engineering the post head and offering that as a free upgrade to people who bought the $500 previous revive models.

Also of note, it might be interesting to go back and read what Sacki said about posts longer than his 185 revive.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
987 Posts
My vote goes to bike yoke. It just works so reliably, I don’t know why you would bother with anything else. I also don’t understand the point of 200+ mm droppers unless you are riding and XL. 185 is plenty to get the post out of the way, and it’s good to be able to have your saddle touch the inside of your knee when cornering. You never see downhill racers with their saddles completely slammed for a reason.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
im probably going to get a bike yoke 213 in the coming weeks to replace a pnw bachelor. BUT to be fair, that pnw post has had 0 servicing whatsoever and has functioned near perfectly for 3 years. the only reason its getting swapped out is that its only 170mm drop. if you need the extra 13mm, go for bikeyoke, otherwise id go pnw again.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,061 Posts
Some people think you should be able to run the dropper flush with the top of the ST and run a foot or more of "dropper". IMO, the more dropper, the more flex, the more wear and tear on the internal parts. IMO, it's a balance and you want a good amount of drop suitable to your riding. It's not necessarily "go for 300mm". Some STs are quite low in relation to the rest of the bike and other bikes. You always have to ask the question if it's too much ST and too small a frame, but there are frames intentionally designed with shorter STs now to accommodate more "dropper"...still, a bigger lever is a bigger lever, so proceed with some caution.

My PNW is pretty junky, they are not near the quality or design of Bikeyoke IME.

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some people think you should be able to run the dropper flush with the top of the ST and run a foot or more of "dropper". IMO, the more dropper, the more flex, the more wear and tear on the internal parts. IMO, it's a balance and you want a good amount of drop suitable to your riding. It's not necessarily "go for 300mm". Some STs are quite low in relation to the rest of the bike and other bikes. You always have to ask the question if it's too much ST and too small a frame, but there are frames intentionally designed with shorter STs now to accommodate more "dropper"...still, a bigger lever is a bigger lever, so proceed with some caution.

My PNW is pretty junky, they are not near the quality or design of Bikeyoke IME.
Right, the issues I'm running into is that the process x has a super low seat tube. I currently run a 160mm dropper which has been fine but I'm pushing very close to the minimum insertion line with how low the seat tube is. Ideally a 180/185mm dropper would be perfect but I can't find the 185mm bikeyoke (at least not for a decent price) so I was looking at these two

·
Dream it, Do it.
1,782 Posts

I have a BikeYoke, but have been checking the PNW for my kids' bikes due to the price. Good to know that BikeYoke is still a better made product.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,649 Posts
I really do appreciate that the BikeYoke is 100% user serviceable. That's a huge bonus, in addition to the build quality and the smoothness of operation.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
41,061 Posts
I have a BikeYoke, but have been checking the PNW for my kids' bikes due to the price. Good to know that BikeYoke is still a better made product.
The PNW is cheap and it works, until the cartridge starts to slow down, which is fairly cheap to replace, but in terms of quality and action, it's nowhere near the bikeyoke. I'll say that the PNW is above the "trash" level of stuff that just isn't worth it, a combination of PNWs price and function, we had a lot of real expensive droppers that were ultra-crappy for a long time, but it's nothing to write home about IME either. I have two PNWs and two Revives.

Reactions: cassieno

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@megablue which version of the OneUp dropper did you have?

If a new lever doesn't solve my issues with a KS Rage (OE) I'm looking at either a PNW Loam or OneUp as a replacement. I'd love to test out a Bike Yoke, but it is more than I want to spend.
I had the v2 180mm. Post blew up 3 months in but Oneup was great about a replacement.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The PNW is cheap and it works, until the cartridge starts to slow down, which is fairly cheap to replace, but in terms of quality and action, it's nowhere near the bikeyoke. I'll say that the PNW is above the "trash" level of stuff that just isn't worth it, a combination of PNWs price and function, we had a lot of real expensive droppers that were ultra-crappy for a long time, but it's nothing to write home about IME either. I have two PNWs and two Revives.
The 200mm drop of the PNW or Oneup would be nice but I'm considering trying the bikeyoke divine. About $40 more than the Oneup but about $100 cheaper than the revive. Just hope that length works for me

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
The 200mm drop of the PNW or Oneup would be nice but I'm considering trying the bikeyoke divine. About $40 more than the Oneup but about $100 cheaper than the revive. Just hope that length works for me
When I read up on the BikeYoke choices the Divine actually sounded like the better option (regardless of price). Does it to you too?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When I read up on the BikeYoke choices the Divine actually sounded like the better option (regardless of price). Does it to you too?
It's a newer design so it doesn't have the record of the revive. I guess technically it's a "better" design as it auto bleeds every time it's used. It's certainly cheaper which is a huge plus.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
One-up has always been garbage for me. PNW is good (did an 8 hour race on one, need a cleaning to work well again. Action is never super smooth but not one up level of blah). Bikeyoke is the best. Smooth and stays smooth. My 185 is 4 years old and works as well as the day I got it.

However I bought a pnw recently because for the price it is great and the bikeyoke is expensive.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
One-up has always been garbage for me. PNW is good (did an 8 hour race on one, need a cleaning to work well again. Action is never super smooth but not one up level of blah). Bikeyoke is the best. Smooth and stays smooth. My 185 is 4 years old and works as well as the day I got it.

However I bought a pnw recently because for the price it is great and the bikeyoke is expensive.
What about oneup is that bad? Legitimately wondering. my oneup 210 has been flawless

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What about oneup is that bad? Legitimately wondering. my oneup 210 has been flawless
I've gone through 3 of them in 4 months. All of mine were the 180mm but they got gouges in the front of the stanchions I would assume caused by premature bushing wear. Each of them got it in the exact same location. Oneup was good about warranting them though. My first one worked fine with the gouges….until it didn't and it completely locked up on me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.