Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
A few local bike shops I've been to with good service and ok prices.
Avenue Cyclery, American Cyclery, Ocean Cyclery.

If you want to go to a larger store then there is REI, Peformance Bike and Pacific Bicycle. Sports Basement is my favorite place to buy bike accessories and other sports stuff.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Roaring mouse is my first choice for bikes and service as well... but (and I could be wrong), do they carry much stock of helmets and clothing? I only ask because the space it tiny.

sorry if I am wrong..(I buy my helmets online)

·
3.14159265358979323846…
2,847 Posts
Mojo Bicycle Cafe. https://www.mojobicyclecafe.com/index.html

Bicycle, cafe, hangout... Not many shops in S.F. have a lot of mtn bike gear (that comment about American only helping you if you a fixie hipster was just lame... grow up!) Because there isn't a lot of mtn biking in The City. there are some cool shops to check out and Mojo actually WANTS you to hang out. go figure.

·
IPAs make me wanna puke.
1,598 Posts
I'm more and more convinced that the word "hipster" is just a kind euphamism for douchebag.

·
Registered
229 Posts
First off, it's American Cyclery 2 (or II) that carries mtb stuff. American Cyclery is on the west side of Stanyan. Or maybe velocipus didn't notice that beacause he was fretting over his lack of ability to spell...anyway, I have been in American Cyclery 3 times and three times only. The same thing happened each time. It was busy, but not packed, I had been wondering around checking stuff out. I walk up to the counter and the guy actually looks me up and down (okay, this only happened two out of the three times). Someone else walks up behind me, sporting tight jeans, floppy haircut, sometimes black glasses, sometimes a scarf, ALWAYS a fixed gear bike in tow, and the salesperson totally blew me off. I am GROWN UP enough to realize people that don't appreciate my business don't need my money. Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
ikarus189 said:
First off, it's American Cyclery 2 (or II) that carries mtb stuff. American Cyclery is on the west side of Stanyan. Or maybe velocipus didn't notice that beacause he was fretting over his lack of ability to spell...anyway, I have been in American Cyclery 3 times and three times only. The same thing happened each time. It was busy, but not packed, I had been wondering around checking stuff out. I walk up to the counter and the guy actually looks me up and down (okay, this only happened two out of the three times). Someone else walks up behind me, sporting tight jeans, floppy haircut, sometimes black glasses, sometimes a scarf, ALWAYS a fixed gear bike in tow, and the salesperson totally blew me off. I am GROWN UP enough to realize people that don't appreciate my business don't need my money. Thanks.
Damn scarf wearing douchbags !!!

I vote for Big Swingin' Cycles

http://www.bigswingincycles.com/

No attitude, good service, and usually very quick.

·
Registered
29 Posts
American Cyclery, avoid it, I've had similar experiences. They'll try to sell you a new complete bike instead of even looking at the one you brought in for a minor repair. They told me, without even touching the bike, that the bottom bracket was "dangerous" because the bike was old (Raleigh English made).

Good shops include Roaring Mouse, Box Dog (not a huge selection of mtn parts), Performance, Mikes Bikes (again not a huge selection of parts but I bought a complete bike there and it turned out well). REI has a couple parts right?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Word on american cyclery. I needed a new bottom bracket, so the mechanic proceeded to pick up my bike and in so many words told me it was junk. That was four years and well over 3000 miles ago, and I've JUST retired that same bicycle to commuter duty.

At American Cyclery, junk = anything else besides a brand new bike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.