Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search. There were a flurry of interesting posts about it when it first came out.
I'm wanting to know, how's it holdin' up for you, now that you've ridden the crap out of it? Is the stock crankset and bottom bracket a flexy POS? I can see that I'll be wanting to replace the stem, bars, grips, chainring, and brakes, but I already have all those parts.:) Any other parts that are bowsers? I'll be using this bike off road in a lot of pretty rocky stuff. How are the hubs holding up for you? Thanks in advance....it's either this or a MC 29'er, and I doubt I can even build a MC for this cheep.:thumbsup:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
I don't have one....

Doggity said:
Yes, I did a search. There were a flurry of interesting posts about it when it first came out.
I'm wanting to know, how's it holdin' up for you, now that you've ridden the crap out of it? Is the stock crankset and bottom bracket a flexy POS? I can see that I'll be wanting to replace the stem, bars, grips, chainring, and brakes, but I already have all those parts.:) Any other parts that are bowsers? I'll be using this bike off road in a lot of pretty rocky stuff. How are the hubs holding up for you? Thanks in advance....it's either this or a MC 29'er, and I doubt I can even build a MC for this cheep.:thumbsup:
... but my take is, for that price, who cares? Especially considering you have many of the replacements for potential dog parts. You can score an LX crankset for $130 or so if the stock one goes south, or its so flexy it drives you batty.

The only potential snags I can see is are that it does not have head tube correction for a suspension fork... but I could be wrong. ... oh and also no disc tabs, which limits you to rim brakes... which kinda blows. Also the stock gearing (unless they fixed it) was something like 42*18 which is really tall for singlespeeding on the trail. Oh, and the stock cranks at least used to be 170s, which is also kinda lame unless you are like 5'5 or under.

I rode my Monocog29er rigid for almost a year before I finally broke down and got a Reba for it. My wrists were about to go on strike.

I really think they were intending to build a street cruiser kinda bike, that you can take off road.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah, it's obviously built up as a commuter, with that gearing. To their credit, they now throw in an extra 33T chainring; I've got a 32T stainless Surly waiting to do that job. Neither rim brakes or rigid fork bother me; they're what I ride. Guess I'm wanting to know if the aluminum frame is harsh riding, compared to a cheap and cheerful steelie like the Monocog. Good catch on the 170mm cranks, didn't catch that. Seriously doubt I'd notice the dif between that and my 175's.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
What makes of breaks cheap steel harshness may be not the frame, but the seat post length (result of your seat height and frame height). My MC is much less harsh than my KM, but the height difference is also 2.4".
Just don't use an overbuilt cheap alu seatpost and it should be OK. The 29" thing helps for harshness already.

I wish we'd get really cheap bikes like that here.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Why not just get a Motobecane frame? The newer version of the Outcast is available for sub $200.00 with shipping included. ($174.99 from here: http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=1262 ) It has the disc tabs, sliding drops, can be geared or singled out, and has the corrected headtube/downtube junction for suspension fork crowns. Looks like a pretty bomber deal to me, and especially if you planned on ditching off most of the parts from the first generation Outcast anyway.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
The new version has beefier downtube and the sliding dropouts, no eyelets for fenders and racks if you're making a commuter. Geometry is fine, 72* HA and 17.8" chainstays are very typical. The Motobecane on-line geometry webpage has a mistake, the TOP TUBE LENGTH CTR-CTR is really the ETT.

http://motobecane.com/29geometry.html

here's mine, started out as a SS rigid, it's a commuter now:

Attachments

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
i don't have the bike, yet, but regarding the ordering process; i just ordered one to keep at my parents house so that i can ride when i'm here. i live about 5,000 miles away, so flying with my bike is a pita. so, my shipping address for the order is different from my billing address. within ten minutes of placing the order, bikesdirect called me to make sure nothing was fishy about the address discrepancy. so they're off and running on a good foot. i certainly appreciated that.

it may not have been worth much, since they called the number i put in the order form, which would be a scammer's number if someone was scamming my cc, but it still made me feel better about it. i dunno, maybe they called my bank and got the phone # from them.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great replies, guys thanks! While the newer frame does look like the bomb, again, I can't build it up cheap as I can get the complete bike for, ironically. Especially since it requires disc brakes. Prefer horizontal dropouts, and V brakes, since I already have this stuff. Well, mebbe I'll go with the update frame, we'll see.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,583 Posts
Doggity said:
A good friend got one last spring. Within a few rides the rear hub was shot. I've read others having similar issues.

The gearing was too high for off-road, and since it involved needing a new chainring as well as a cog, it added to the cost.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ever look into the SE Stout 29er, I just picked one up several weeks ago for around the same price. I'm mainly using it for a commuter but I know others have been using theirs on trails with no major issues. If you can find an 08' it's worth a look.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kvojr said:
Have you checked out the new Nashbar SS. It looks like a real good deal and if you find the right discount code, it gets even cheaper. I only saw it for the first time yesterday.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...reid=&pagename=Shop by Subcat: Mountain Bikes
Yah, I did see that, thanks! Not at all a bad bike for the $$, but now the Motebecane is $349.00 shipped, so it still beats the Nashbar, even with 20% discount. Plus that....color! Pale pink? You either loves it or hates it. I'd rather have the metallic slate or gloss white, if it came down to that. Thanks to Kapusta for the feedback about the hubs, that's the kinda dirt (heh...)I've been looking for. The hubs on my D440 don't look all that great, but so far they've held up fine.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
hhhmmmm,

nashbar:

"Frame: 6061 Aluminum
Fork: 100 Cr-MO w/Disc Brake Tabs
Headset: Cane Creek 1-1/8" Threadless
Handlebars: 2" Alloy Riser Bar, 25.5" Wide
Stem: Alloy MTB, 7 Degree Drop
Grips: Bubble Logo Grip
Brake Lever: Tektro 313A 2 Finger Alloy F&R
Brake(s): Tektro 837AL Linear Pull F&R
Seat: Velo Super Light w/ Custom Cover
Seat Post: Micro Adjust Alloy 27.2
Crankset: Gravity Maximus, 3-pc Alloy, Sealed Euro w/ISIS Spindle, 32T Alloy
Chain: KMC Z610
Pedal: Wellgo, Alloy Cage, Cr-Mo axle
Rim: Alex 29" DM18 w/ Stainless 14Ga. Spokes
Front Hub: Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc Ready, 36H, Nutted
Rear Hub: Alloy Cassette disc Ready Hub, 36H, Nutted, 18T Cog
Tires: WTB Nanoraptor 29"x2.1.
Frame Specs:
Seat tube length 15" 17" 19" 21"
Top tube length 22.6" 22.7" 23.4" 24.25"
Head tube angle 71° 72° 72° 72°
Seat tube angle 74° 73° 73° 73°
Chainstays 17.7" 17.7" 17.7" 17.7"
BB height 11.9" 11.9" 11.9" 11.9"
Weight 29.93 lbs
"

se stout:

"Frame 100 CR-MO, w/ Disc Brake Tabs, Looptail Rear End, Water Bottle Mounts
Fork 100 Cr-MO w/Disc Brake Tabs
Headset Tange 1-1/8" Threadless
Handlebars SE Racing 2" Alloy Riser Bar, 25.5" Wide
Stem SE Alloy MTB, 7 Degree Dropp
Grips SE Bubble Logo Grip
Brake Lever Tektro 313A 2 Finger Alloy F&R
Brake(s) Tektro 837AL Linear Pull F&R
Seat SE Super Light w/ Custom Cover
Seat Post SE Micro Adjust Alloy 27.2
Crankset Gravity Maximus, 3-pc Alloy, Sealed Euro w/ISIS Spindle, 32T Alloy
Chain KMC Z610
Pedal Wellgo, Alloy Cage, Cr-Mo axle
Rim Weinmann ZAC24000 Double Wall, CNC Sidewalls, w/ Stainless 14Ga. Spokes
Front Hub SE Alloy Sealed Bearing Disc Ready, 36H, Nutted
Rear Hub SE Alloy Cassette disc Ready Hub, 36H, Nutted, 18T Cog
Tires 29" WTB Nano Raptor 2.1 F&R
Extras Removable Derailleur Hanger, SE Alloy End Caps
Colors Burnt Red
Seat tube length 15" 17" 19" 21"
Top tube length 22.6" 22.7" 23.4" 24.25"
Head tube angle 71° 72° 72° 72°
Seat tube angle 74° 73° 73° 73°
Chainstays 17.7" 17.7" 17.7" 17.7"
BB height 11.9" 11.9" 11.9" 11.9"
Weight 29.93 lbs
"

uummmm.pretty much everything but the frame are identical. headset and rims have different logos on them, but are probably the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an Outcast. The comment about the hubs is absolutely true. No kind of legitimate trail riding can be done on those hubs, they're track hubs. I do have to say that I have been more than pleased with my Outcast 29 since I have primarily used it as a commuter. With the parts you say you have and a new wheelset you could have a very nice 29er.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on the new 2009 Outcast29 frame with the replaceable/adjustable disc tab and optional derailleur hanger. It hasn't arrived yet. I plan to build it up geared. Next thing is what fork to use. Probably a rigid. But maybe a Tora.Will chime in later after the frame arrives.---zarr :)

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
I am running a second hand Outcast 29'er. Most of the original parts that were on it when I took ownership have been swapped out. The peripherals on the bike are largely junk: stem, bars, brakes, seatpost, cranks, pedals... all have been replaced. The rear hub is absolute garbage, but the rims themselves (Alex TN29) seem somewhat respectable. The Kenda Nevegals that it came with are also noteworthy. I paid only ~$200 for the complete bike (used), and probably have $450 total into the bike as it sits. Expect to do a lot of upgrading on the bike (out of necessity) as parts break. I ride it excusively on trails. All that being said, I would buy it again in a hearbeat if given the oppurtinity. It is fun, responsive and reasonable. Now that it has the disc option, it is even more attractive.

Current setup (the budget build)
XL Motobecane frame, fork, stock headset, stock rear wheel (awaiting replacement)
127mm 10 deg. Ringle stem
Oval Concept 1.5" riser bar
Titec 350mm seatpost
Specialized saddle
Truvativ Stylo 180mm crankset, 32T
Shimano SPD's
ACS Claws 20T freewheel,
Kenda Nevegal rear 2.1
WTB Exiwolf 2.3 front
Oury Lock-on grips
Avid SD-5 V-brakes
Avid FR-5 levers
Ritchey OCR front wheel (700C) laced to a Specialized Hub

I may swap a Reba SL that I have onto it to upgrade from the v-brakes. But still, I enjoy this bike a ton.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.