Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was my birthday June 29th.
We rode Noble Canyon in Pine Valley, CA (we ride it about one time every 8 to 10 years) to celebrate things...

While riding up the long fire road climb before the downhill we were talking about favorite bikes of all time. Well I came to the conclusion that I like bikes with a soul.

Soul defined by me - is a bike that has a history or lineage that lives beyond its parts or function.

I rode the Trek Stashe- by far the best handling bike I have ever ridden and the thing rips (I did not clean Noble BTW- but I did ride most of it). The only other bike that came close was my 2004 SC Heckler (which I did clean Noble on in 2008). I spent $1600 buying the Trek and it has been amazing. It has no soul. I tried giving it a name - but it does not stick.

I have a 1992 Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo - which is the worst riding bike I have ever ridden. Sorry Gary - but what were you thinking!! - However it has a soul and is more fun to ride for some strange reason (like dentist drill fun).

I bought a 1950-ish (almost completely stock) Raleigh Sport. New seat and tires (the rear tube still holds air!!) and I love the thing -it has soul. We call her Rusty.

I have a 1976 Schwinn p14 which was raced in the early 80's by my neighbor in the velodrome - and is amazing - tons of soul.

I have a 2005 ZH1 trials bike that was given to me by the widow of a close friend who was killed riding his bike home from work by a minivan. (major soul in that bike).

I have a Redline Monocog 26 in small - my bmx bike - total soul.

I have a 1973 Raleigh International that was a close friends who just turned 80 and is "Death Cleaning" (his words). The Tubulars still hold air! Total soul..

Surly bikes seem to come with Soul - maybe I just need to trade the Trek it for a Krampus... My Pugsley (named the "Nimble Beast") has a soul - and I love it.

My beach cruiser has a hand panted sign by Zumwalts Cycle Center - soul.

The Alpinestars found on side of a garage sale for 30 bucks - has an original 1/4 king headset and Manitou 3 forks.. !!! Epic Soul points!

Maybe my Trek needs a baptism..
Maybe it is the corporate newness that kills its soul.
Maybe it does not have any rust...

Am I nuts - do you all feel the same thing..

I have 9 bikes right now - (yeah a problem - but I just need one more)

Weinert

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
It was my birthday June 29th.

Soul defined by me - is a bike that has a history or lineage that lives beyond its parts or function.

Weinert
Are you talking about a shared history? I think I understand what you are getting at, but I would call it more of a connection then a soul.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
My 17 year old custom Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe hardtail has soul but my more modern soulless bikes ride better. I have three bikes. Could do with two (road and dirt).

If it wasn't for the feelings I harbor for the IF, I would have two. I bought it as a reward for not getting killed on 9/11. I worked in the WTC.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got a new bike this year and am already making that soul connection. Sort of like a dog that's your best friend.

I call her"Wabi-Sabi"

I didn't have that connection with other bikes I've had over the years, they were simply tools or sports equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
I have no idea what you're going on about:cool:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle wheel

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

I never paint a bike that has an old license sticker on it.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
Good ol' heavy cro-mo has soul. It can sort of share its soul with you if you get your rhythm in sync with it.

Aluminum saps your body's soul--feels like a test to see how long you can last before you're drained and tired of it.

Carbon often feels dead, like a tool, but there are some exceptions that mimic a lively feel.

Ti is pretty special, but too expensive, esp if you want it with geo that has great handling. People generally end up here once they find geo that they like, and tested it in steel first.

I didn't learn this until I opened up to trying 'em all. I'm really enjoying how having flex in a bike's drivetrain makes it overall nicer to pedal, making it more mash-friendly.

·
well mannered lout
3,333 Posts
There have been aluminum bikes with soul.....the Beast of the East, the Homegrown, the Chute, the Ridge, and the Viento...oh, and the Rumble.

I just picked a late 80's Trek 1500 roadie. Thirty years later and it's every intention is still perfectly clear.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sold my Ibis Mojo HDR's soul and used the money for a new seat post and a bag of weed.
I probably bought it..

But I am a Psychology Professor - the Heckler was Aluminum and had soul.. It is not the ride quality - but the satisfaction you get while riding it.

I like word "Sports Equipment" The Kettlebell that I bought at Walmart has no soul.. it is a tool. Most of my bikes are not just tools, but they are in some way a part of myself...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Good ol' heavy cro-mo has soul. It can sort of share its soul with you if you get your rhythm in sync with it.

Aluminum saps your body's soul--feels like a test to see how long you can last before you're drained and tired of it.

Carbon often feels dead, like a tool, but there are some exceptions that mimic a lively feel.

Ti is pretty special, but too expensive, esp if you want it with geo that has great handling. People generally end up here once they find geo that they like, and tested it in steel first.

I didn't learn this until I opened up to trying 'em all. I'm really enjoying how having flex in a bike's drivetrain makes it overall nicer to pedal, making it more mash-friendly.
Agreed on all points.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Companies/builders with soul build bikes with soul. Companies with no soul generally build bikes with no soul. IOW, an inanimate object doesn't have soul, that comes from its' creator.

·
Registered
6,094 Posts
Companies/builders with soul build bikes with soul. Companies with no soul generally build bikes with no soul. IOW, an inanimate object doesn't have soul, that comes from its' creator.
Yeah, I would argue that the owner breaths life into their bikes, not the creator. Shared experiences have great value.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that maybe what I am getting at - we can construct other human minds within our own.. you can think what you father would think (unless you sell you Moots for weed).

Maybe the Soul of the builder lives in the bike as well...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Total anthropomorphic ideology - but we assume that people who have died have/had a soul - they are inanimate objects at that point - so I feel okay with it. (and my dad who passed away 20+ years ago would totally agree - he only liked boats with a soul - where I got this idea from many years ago).

Maybe I like the troubled souls (Psychology) and that is why I love the Fisher so much. Or maybe I am teaching an online class and am tired of reading student work so I am procrastinating by posting this thread..

But I think that it is important - to give your bike a name and find its soul. I noticed I bent the rear rim on my Stashe on Noble - and I don't even feel bad about hurting the bike.. Sigh.

I need a Krampus...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.