Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Drinker w/ Riding Problem
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a bud who is building up a bike, santa cruz liquid blue colored... i mentioned that he should stray from the norm and instead of using all black (headset, stem, seatpost, collar, bar, wheels) on a dark colored frame he should think about Silver or even Pewter

i was going to show him some examples of some other bikes, but in my searching i found very little...I thought at one time there was a similar post here about a year ago (couldn't find it either) so maybe you can help. show me what you've got in the way of Silver or Pewter components on your bike

mine

Too vintage looking :rolleyes:

thanks in advance!
-b

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
My girl when she was new. The sun kind of washes out the contrast of the dark frame and silver bits, but I thought you'd get the idea. (Note the rims are not silver. Would have looked nice, but cost too much!)

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Silver is nice on seatposts and cranks. Keeps the bike from looking worn, as scratches aren't as noticable. These two want to have something at the front to match, to create a visual triangle though, so stems (or if you're feeling industrious, forks) are nice in either clear anodized or polished as well. Kinda want to avoid a big vertical line dividing the bike in half. Throwing silver rims in widens the visual frame to include the whole bike, whereas black rims (& black tires) disappear somewhat in the minds eye and reduce the visual to hub to hub. The minds eye is still intrigued by shiny things.

·
Gravity Tester
549 Posts
I'm in the process of doing a virtually monochrome Silver Yeti 575 rebuild. I'm waiting (with growing impatience) for the Industry Nine wheels and a few other misc. parts so I can complete the build up. Pics to come...

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Silver and Blue

Here's my Ibex Atlas with the following silver components:

Rock Shox Revelation
Thomson stem
Thomson seatpost
Race Face bars
Hershey Racing seat clamp
Hope XC hubs
Wheelsmith spokes
Truvativ Stylo crankarms

It was a chore finding as much as I did in silver, but the effort paid off, IMO.

Bob

Attachments

·
Get out of town!
1,440 Posts
I have a blue/silver Sultan. I am still waiting on the stem and my I9's - they are all silver except for 2 blue spokes at the valve. Hope to have completed build pics soon!

·
Registered
66 Posts
silver build

To me, silver suggests light weight more than black components.
Notable silver parts on my bike are silver carbon spacers and silver grips that are actualy slightly transparent so the graphics on the carbon handle bar are visable. I wish that I would have gotten silver on silver I9 wheels instead of black on black. Perhaps next year. Silver is a nice alternative to black.

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,196 Posts
Yes I do

Dangeruss said:
Do you have a close-up picture of the bar / stem combo?
Here's a couple. PM me know if you want something more specific, and I can email it.

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
Timely thread. I was planning to 'blackout' the new DJ frame I have, given that it's already Rhinolined, but I decided to go with silver accents.

black:
frame
fork
stem
bars
seat
wheels (xero xm-2)
cranks
brakes

silver:
seatpost
headset
shifters
cassette/chainring
pedals
rear der

Probably going to vinyl dye my cable housings bright red tonight for a final accent. Should look awesome.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.