Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda looking for a FR bike and am interested in using the Sherman line of forks. Looked into a few bikes that make frames with the 1.5 headtube but just wondering if anyone knew of more. So far I've looked at the Quasimoto (head tube looks a little too steep for what I want....looking for 69 degrees). The Iron Horse SGS is a little more "downhill oriented" than i was looking for. Besides that....any input? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
RM switch, Yeti AS-X, Turner DHR (more of a DH bike though), Evil Imperial, Sinister Ridge, you can order Nicolai bikes with it, I think the Intense V8 will have it, Knolly bikes will have it...that's all I can think of off the top of my head...from what you said, I'd seriously consider the AS-X....sweet bike!

·
Registered
443 Posts
There are a few more...

The Canondale Gemini has a 1.5, so does the new Trek freeride bike. Are you looking to run an SC or DC fork? One thing to watch with 1.5 is that some frames are really wide at the head tube junction (i.e. Imperial) that don't work well with a Slider (the stanchions are really close together so turning radius is not so good). Overall, I think 1.5 is a good thing although it would be nice to see more forks that use it along with more stems and headsets.

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have seen AS-X's but didn't know that they made it in a 1.5 option. I was kinda hoping that Ventana would make the Chamuco in a 1.5. That would be sick. I called them but didn't ask Sherwood if they had any plans too. Are there any write-ups on the Intense V8? That would be another option but a lot pricier than the Yeti.

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tarpon said:
The Canondale Gemini has a 1.5, so does the new Trek freeride bike. Are you looking to run an SC or DC fork? One thing to watch with 1.5 is that some frames are really wide at the head tube junction (i.e. Imperial) that don't work well with a Slider (the stanchions are really close together so turning radius is not so good). Overall, I think 1.5 is a good thing although it would be nice to see more forks that use it along with more stems and headsets.
SC. I'm not a heavy guy (150 lb) and seriously doubt that I would need a DC fork. Just looking to get more travel to do some FR and shuttle/ski runs. I run a Vanilla 125 on my HH100 right now. Going to 6 in on another bike just doesn't seem like it would be a big enough change so I want to get 7/7 (i've been looking at the El Chamuco, Bullit). So, the shermans seem the way to go. Zokes go up to 6 in on SC and they're a lot heavier than the Shermans so I figure if I can find a frame that I like with a 1.5 option, then that would make the most sense. I still want to be able to trailride with the bike and a DC wouldn't give me the quickness that an SC would. But I agree, seems like 1.5 hasn't caught on fire and I would be limiting my options for stems/headsets.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Tarpon said:
My guess would be that since he's looking at the Shermans and inquiring about 1.5 headtubes that he's gonna get a SC. ;) lol.

Dont necessarily knock off the IronHorse's right off the bat, they have a Freeride line that is spec'd pretty good with DRS, Swingers, and a bunch of other good components.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
The AS-X only come with a 1.5 headtube, as far as I know...it's a pretty sweet all-round freerider. It's probably too early for there to be reviews on the V8, but it looks essentially like the VP-Free with a 1.5 ht (this is just from the one pic i've seen of it, so i could be wrong), so it probably will ride similar to the VP-free (again, just a guess).

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
COmtbiker12 said:
My guess would be that since he's looking at the Shermans and inquiring about 1.5 headtubes that he's gonna get a SC. ;) lol.

Dont necessarily knock off the IronHorse's right off the bat, they have a Freeride line that is spec'd pretty good with DRS, Swingers, and a bunch of other good components.
Thanks. I wasn't passing up Iron Horse.....just didn't know what they offered. Looks like 1.5 hasn't drummed up a lot of popularity yet and zokes is coming out with the R66 that'll give 7 in w/o having to go with a 1.5 headtube. I wasn't set on going with 1.5, just didn't want to go with a DC. And since I already have a 125 fork, I figure going 7 inches (instead of 6) would make more sense. May be worth it to wait.......

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah. I've seen the SGS's at supergo. Just checked out their site too. Have you ridden one of those? I definitely like the 4-bar linkage vs. single pivot (not knocking singles, just if I had a choice y'know.....).

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That would be suh-weeeeeeet. i was thinking that if santa cruz offered the vp (or even the bullit) in a 1.5 that would be the way to go.....tough to pass up. The V8 would be $$$$$$ compared to the vp free!!!! Did you see that pix on the web? Do you still have the link?

heard that zokes is coming out with the r66. 1 1/8 in. 7 in. travel. 35 mm stanchions. Might be worth waiting on that. then I wouldn't have to compromise on frame options. :D

·
Why aren't you riding????
426 Posts
All the companies are putting out 1.5 frames for there FR lines now. If you are going with a SC fork it makes perfect sence and I would guess that with this kind of industry support it wont be long before we see the first 1.5 DC forks.

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
offtheedge said:
All the companies are putting out 1.5 frames for there FR lines now. If you are going with a SC fork it makes perfect sence and I would guess that with this kind of industry support it wont be long before we see the first 1.5 DC forks.
Yeah....i'm starting to hear rumors (Intense v8 specifically). Hopefully, more companies will, then I won't have to compromise. the r66 is coming out though with 1 1/8 in headtube, 35 mm stanchions and 7 in of travel....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Iron Horse Are nice!

I ride an Iron Horse SGS Pro DH bike and I love it. I heard the linkage is even better for 2004. I would definetely reccomend an Iron Horse. I saw them selling their freeride bikes on supergo for really cheap. I would also reccomend the sherman because you can adjust them for 4 inches when climbing and their SPV actually senses upward forces! I just ordered a 2005 Sherman SC from adreniline bikes.

·
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good question......

looks like it's called the VPX. interesting. wrench has a link to the Intense site but the bike isn't on there. weird. might be worth a call.

·
/dev/null
720 Posts
offtheedge said:
I would guess that with this kind of industry support it wont be long before we see the first 1.5 DC forks.
DC forks put little to no stress on the steerer. In fact, some DC forks (Avalanche, many MX forks) don't use a steerer, they just use a couple nubs that fit in the headset bearings, and a long bolt to join the crowns.

The only reason we'd ever have 1.5 DC forks is either a marketing gimmick, or simply for compatability with 1.5 headsets. Either one is a pretty lame reason to go through all the hassle of gearing up a production line for a different sized steerer. Not likely, IMO.

·
user-created
3,174 Posts
ddraewwg said:
I'm kinda looking for a FR bike and am interested in using the Sherman line of forks. Looked into a few bikes that make frames with the 1.5 headtube but just wondering if anyone knew of more.
I didn't think I'd ever say this, but wait for the Trek 7" bike, due in December.
They're gonna offer a complete bike for $2000.

More info here.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.