Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 bikes stolen from garage

Kona Hei-Hei 29
Silver and white with black chain stay (new)
Fenders and dog leash attached to frame

Moonlander - bronze frame, Bud/Lou on clown shoes, purple rim strips, home made fenders

Keep your eyes out
I'm sure buddy will reward info

Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Away from computer but I'll post pics later. The bikes are pretty easy to pick out from descriptions. Bastards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope you have the bike serial numbers. I had my Superfly stolen a few weeks ago and I got it back when it was pawned. Unfortunately I had to pay $150 to do so but well worth the money to get my bike back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you have the bike serial numbers. I had my Superfly stolen a few weeks ago and I got it back when it was pawned. Unfortunately I had to pay $150 to do so but well worth the money to get my bike back.[/

How did you find out it was pawned?
I've only been searching the internet and local ads.

Also isn't pawning stolen goods illegal? Seems like you shouldn't have to pay for your stolen bike

Dave

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
I hope you have the bike serial numbers. I had my Superfly stolen a few weeks ago and I got it back when it was pawned. Unfortunately I had to pay $150 to do so but well worth the money to get my bike back.[/

Also isn't pawning stolen goods illegal? Seems like you shouldn't have to pay for your stolen bike

Dave
Maybe he didn't have the serial number. S/N is needed for proof of ownership.

Definitely go to all the local pawn shops in your area.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Dave
When i reported my bike stolen to the police i was able to provide my serial number as it was on the original receipt. In Florida where i live (hopefully the same in NY) when an item is pawned the seller needs to provide a license and the pawn shop must enter the serial number into some sort of database. As soon as the serial number was entered into the database the police was somehow notified.
Now i too agree that it sux that i had to pay to get my own bike back but that is apparently what the pawn shop had paid for the bicycle. The pawn shop apparently was annoyed that i was getting my bike back because they only wanted cash and refused to take payment with my debit card. They also kept saying that they were losing money, which i assume was potential profit. Of course i was looking at it from my side but i feel like i was the one that was out $150 to purchase something that rightfully belonged to me.

I would check Ebay, Craigslist and of course local pawn shops.

Good luck and i hope it works out for you the way it did for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts