Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife is thinking about going to Vancouver Island in August 2021. Naturally I think about travelling with my bike, which would be mounted in a bike rack. We may have several bikes on the rack.

so I am wondering what the deal is on the ferry as most discussions I found seemed to deal with riding your bike onto the ferry.

I have an expensive bike and would be nervous leaving it locked to my hitch mounted rack on the ride across. I am assuming that I would be unable to sit in my vehicle to babysit the bike while the ferry crossed over to the island. Would I be able to untracked my bike and go somewhere with it and watch over it?

thanks

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
I do not believe that a bike has ever been stolen on the ferry. Doesn't mean I don't stress about it and always throw an extra lock on. But honestly, I think there is a better chance of your bike being stolen on your rack at a red light then on the ferry.

·
ups and downs
15,592 Posts
Nice thing about theft on a ferry, unless they're stealing a boat, they aren't getting off the ferry before it hits the dock, so as long as you go down to the car deck early enough to notify the crew, it should be easy to find it when cars exit.

Something you can consider is a piece of AV security gear that is popular with University AV departments to protect video projectors, if the sense wire is cut it makes a helluva racket. You can loop the sense wire through all the bikes on the rack. Sonic Shock 5

·
Registered
345 Posts
We have hauled our bikes across on the ferry numerous times. We put several locks on each bike, but other than that we are not too concerned on the ferry, it's pretty contained.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I ride onto the ferry at least once per month. I have never locked it and never had a problem.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input all. If I take my bike it will be a long crossing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts