Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
The Soulcraft (the minty green colored bike at top) is Capn' Cowbell's bike, and I have no idea what he has there. Maybe he'll post if he sees this. The Vicious bike at the bottom( orange/yellow bike) has drops with Campy brifters.

You know, it's funny, but when I took these pictures before the start, I didn't see half of what the camera picked up! I was too excited for the start, I guess. The one thing that stands out in my mind is second place finisher Brian Hannon's Redline that had bottle mounts on each fork blade! Never caught that till I developed the pics!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Aha! I see now!

You're talking about that Rock Lobster! That belongs to Rob Pennel, who is from Kansas I think. That indeed looks like a Scott bar, or it could be time trial cowhorns. Don't know, but the brake lever looks to be mounted "backwards", with the lever pointed outwards, instead of at the rider. Again, never even noticed the day I saw it and I saw this bike several times!

The really interesting thing was that there were all kinds of creative bike set-ups that ran from one end of the spectrum to the other. No "cookie cutter" bikes here! Lot's of small builder stuff and some big box stuff. I focused on the 29er's as that's my bag!

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
It looks to me like he's got the new On One Mary bars. Or is it Mungo? I dunno, but they're the new "Dirt Drop" bars offered by that fine English company.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
John Tomac steez then? I see it now. Looks lie a campy lever to me, but then it also appears to be a singlespeed.

I like the looks of the Vicious Cycles bike.

And by the way.... I just don't "get" the SS thing. I can see how it would be fun at times, but in a 300+ mile race? Isn't that already hard enough?

Flame suit on. :)

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Give Martini a prize (well almost)

They are the new On One midge dirt drops. The brake levers (dia comp btw) are mounted the standard way but the bars flare outwards so they look a little funny. They fit so well! Very comfy! They just make sense. I havent used them on singletrack much but if I were to run a shorter/higher rise stem I thank they would be great. I cant explain how to "get" the singlespeed thing. Its just what I like to do so I stick with it. I actually now have a geared cross bike. Its been 5 years since I rode a geared bike so its really fun. The only problem is that I forget to shift.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I see it now

robpennell said:
They are the new On One midge dirt drops. The brake levers (dia comp btw) are mounted the standard way but the bars flare outwards so they look a little funny. They fit so well! Very comfy! They just make sense. I havent used them on singletrack much but if I were to run a shorter/higher rise stem I thank they would be great. I cant explain how to "get" the singlespeed thing. Its just what I like to do so I stick with it. I actually now have a geared cross bike. Its been 5 years since I rode a geared bike so its really fun. The only problem is that I forget to shift.
The angle of my pic makes it look weird! My bad! I am envious of those bars! I would have ordered a set straight from Brant, but with my shop discount it'll pay to wait for J&B to get 'em in stock. I really like that Rock Lobster! I kept lookin' at it the whole time I was in Algona, just sittin' there up on your roof rack! Bring her around again next year, okay? ;) :p

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
Thanks GT

I really have been happy with the Lobster. Paul is a great builder and an even better friend. His 27 years really show after you spend an hour or so on his bikes. I'll bring the Lobster just for you but I just finished drawing up a 29er/cross bike based on using the Midge bars with gravel road geometry in mind. It shall have slant 6 lugs up top, fillet brazed BB, rear facing SS dropouts, and a lugged straight bladed fork that will clear a 44 with room to spare. I just need to figure out which tubes to use and I will put a torch to them late next month. I thought the bottles on the fork was pretty cool so I may do something like that. Maybe even a light mount down there so I can get some of the clutter off the bars.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
A "works bike" eh?

robpennell said:
I really have been happy with the Lobster. Paul is a great builder and an even better friend. His 27 years really show after you spend an hour or so on his bikes. I'll bring the Lobster just for you but I just finished drawing up a 29er/cross bike based on using the Midge bars with gravel road geometry in mind. It shall have slant 6 lugs up top, fillet brazed BB, rear facing SS dropouts, and a lugged straight bladed fork that will clear a 44 with room to spare. I just need to figure out which tubes to use and I will put a torch to them late next month. I thought the bottles on the fork was pretty cool so I may do something like that. Maybe even a light mount down there so I can get some of the clutter off the bars.
You a KILLING me!!! A bike built especially for Trans Iowa?!!! Look, I've got to tell you- that would be a killer rig, by the sounds of it, but don't just go and make a bike that cool for just one race/ event! Besides, that Rock Lobster may be more perfect for the next edition of T.I. than you know. ;)

Those Midge bars are "all that", huh? I can't wait to get a hold of a pair. Good luck on torching up your new rig. Please post a pic or two when it reaches reality!

·
What would Dangerado do?
16 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
The Soulcraft (the minty green colored bike at top) is Capn' Cowbell's bike, and I have no idea what he has there. Maybe he'll post if he sees this. The Vicious bike at the bottom( orange/yellow bike) has drops with Campy brifters.

You know, it's funny, but when I took these pictures before the start, I didn't see half of what the camera picked up! I was too excited for the start, I guess. The one thing that stands out in my mind is second place finisher Brian Hannon's Redline that had bottle mounts on each fork blade! Never caught that till I developed the pics!
Hey Guitar Ted, Hannon here. Just wanted to tell you and Jeff how much i enjoyed and appreciated your race and your efforts to organize and hold the race. I seemed to go off virtually without a hitch.

The bottle cages on the fork legs were Cateye composite cages held on by hose clamps on one leg and 100# test zip ties on the other leg....both held fast and steady. One bottle was full of gel and the other was full of Accelerade powder mix. This system worked great.

So you're changing the course for next year? Just wondering ya know :)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Course Change

Pedala said:
So you're changing the course for next year? Just wondering ya know :)
Yep! It's going to be pretty much totally different, in a good way. ;) Brilliant use of water bottle cages! I loved it. Reminded me of the ol' Tour de France guys back in the day. By the way, if you have any ideas, we're all ears. Course is in the very beggining stages of planning right now!

·
www.badgercycles.com
309 Posts
no worries

Guitar Ted said:
You a KILLING me!!! A bike built especially for Trans Iowa?!!! Look, I've got to tell you- that would be a killer rig, by the sounds of it, but don't just go and make a bike that cool for just one race/ event! Besides, that Rock Lobster may be more perfect for the next edition of T.I. than you know. ;)

Those Midge bars are "all that", huh? I can't wait to get a hold of a pair. Good luck on torching up your new rig. Please post a pic or two when it reaches reality!
I live 1/2 mile from hundreds of miles of gravel/dirt roads so thats where I spend most of my time anyway. I have been wanting a bike just for that reason and transiowa motivated me to go ahead and build it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.