Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any of the frames/bikes currently out on course for that Canada to Mexico GDR slog? I know Hunter did part of it last year.

One of the DNF's this year thanked some guy who's on the f-building list for making him a frame..

Anyone have any info?

What would be the perfect frame/wheelsize/build for this epic?

-Schmitty-

·
Registered
714 Posts
Man, I almost asked this same question last week!

One of our local guys went with a local builder, YBS, for a custom Single Speed frame. Southwest Frame Works actually builds them for YBS as far as I know....

Anyway, Ray did really well on a single speed IMHO completing 850 miles and retiring from the event yesterday.

I'd be curious to hear who else has bikes out there on the trail though.

·
Framebuilder
435 Posts
Schmitty said:
One of the DNF's this year thanked some guy who's on the f-building list for making him a frame..

-Schmitty-
That would be me.:D
This was my second bike to be used for the Divide race, as you might imagine, I built them both for comfort and durability. 18-22, 100+ mile days on an mtb means the bike fit has to be spot on. "Spot on" varies from rider to rider of course, but both bikes were built with a bit less trail (carrying a front load) and around a more upright position.
The riders I built for were/are notorious for breaking frames and the last thing I wanted was for one of them to have a frame problem out in BFE. Beefy rack braze-ons, 9/6/9 and staight gauge tubes, horizontal drops with hangers for easy conversion to single speed,etc.
Unless the rider is tiny, 29" wheels are the way to go.
This year's bike: http://www.adventurecycling.org/gdrgallery2009/gallery14.cfm

Having built two bikes for divide racing, I have some definite ideas for improvements....but you'll have the wait till next year to see those;)

That, or I could just tell the guys, "get a pos fixed gear conversion and have at it!" It's working so far for that girl this year...

G

·
bad ass

That Looks Kick Ass! I wanna do that next year! From what I can tell from the website no money is required, just letter of intent, a good attitude, and a power bar or two. My kind of adventure! How long dose it take the "average" folks?

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts