Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do?
I am going to hooper park trails in Baton Rouge from my house its about 2 hours away. I wanted to spend a few days there in a vacation home, or cabin with either a garage, secure parking or something to that effect but I can not find anything last minute.

Is there anything you can do thats sensable with your truck and 5 bikes at a normal hotel in town with out worrying about them getting stolen or tamppered with? What do you guys do? Is chaining them together worth the risk? Should I just drive there for one day and go back the second? :madman:

·
Alien Surf Team
1,168 Posts
Same with local touring bands, motorcross, etc. You put it in the hotel room, or you sleep in the parking lot with it. It's simple, where ever your equipment is, is where you sleep. I've been blessed enough to do the touring band thing and racing motocross thing a little and seen a lot of stuff get stolen. Thankfully nothing big from me, but from other riders and bands. I've seen entire big trailers unhooked from trucks and driven away. No chain, lock will do no matter how clever you think the idea is.

Bottom line, sleep with your sh*t or it will be stolen.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Bikes in room, period.

A motel is usually not a problem, especially if it is one of the old style where you park by your door.

In up-scale hotels in cities, I just wheel the bikes into the lobby and take them up the elevator (one at a time because it can be a pain to do that) but I have no intention of leaving my road bikes or any others where they are not secured. I'm not even comfortable at rest stops on the highway.

When questioned, I just tell the staff what the bikes cost. No one ever has objections when they realize these are multi-thousand dollar machines, not toy store bikes. They usually become quite friendly at that point. They are in the business of pleasing their guests, not giving them a hard time.

PS: I make sure my mountain bikes are clean before taking them in the room. That is common courtesy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
5 bikes because I have a wife and 3 boys that will be biking with me. I think I'll can the staying over night bit and just drive each day to my riding spots which all of are only a couple hours away.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I travel often with my bikes, and I've never had a problem trom hotel staff keeping them in the room. Including the Hampton Inn in Baton Rouge. The desk there actually hooked me up with an outside hose to clean up a muddy bike once. Just don't do something stupid like try to ride it through the lobby and it should be fine.

One recommendation, though. Don't overinflate your tire and blow a tube off the rim. That will bring a manager to your room pretty quickly.... just sayin'!

PS. Is your login name "bluesbox" related to Tabby's old place in BR?

Dave.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.