Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MTB SOCAL
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends and I are thinking about making a trip up to Monterey for Sea Otter. I was wondering how the xc course is like. Any ideas on what the Super D may be like? For the XC, I was thinking of either my 21.5 lb Seven Sola hardtail or my 26 lb Moto-lite. For Super D, either the Moto-lite or my 31 lb Moment. Any recommendations on which bike to use for each event? Thanks.
 

·
190lbs of climber
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
Go as light as possible. After looking at the course map for the SuperD, there's a very good chance I will be doing that on my 22 lbs hardtail instead of full sus. It started with an 1/8 to 1/4 mile climb, and then fireroad down. Not very technical at all.
 

·
never ender
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
yangpei said:
My friends and I are thinking about making a trip up to Monterey for Sea Otter. I was wondering how the xc course is like. Any ideas on what the Super D may be like? For the XC, I was thinking of either my 21.5 lb Seven Sola hardtail or my 26 lb Moto-lite. For Super D, either the Moto-lite or my 31 lb Moment. Any recommendations on which bike to use for each event? Thanks.
Never actually raced the Sea Otter, but I know all the Fort Ord trails pretty well, and I'd say stick with light and comfortable. Nothing out there is real technical, but it can get pretty fast. Tire selection is key too...if it's muddy like last year, go skinny with an open tread. If it's dry and sandy, go for a wide casing and lots of low-profile knobs. Sand can pile up in corners when it's been dry for a few days and if you're not careful it can send you flying into the poison oak. I think the new Hutchinson Piranha would be an awesome tire for most of the trails out there, but I haven't tried it yet.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
I raced it last year...

... on my hardtail with a 100mm fork. It wasn't bad.

The only real techy bits are sand traps (one nice sand trap as a downhill trail... you ski it the whole way down!) and some minor rocky bits. Mostly the high speed bumpy fireroad decents are what make you want to bring a suspension bike, but there aren't enough of them to justify a squishy, IMO. At least on the XC racecourse. Now if you are going out there for an all day epic, bring squish.
 

·
weekend worrier
Joined
·
562 Posts
Tony, ride your Seven hardtail for the XC race. I've ridden the XC race four times and my fastest times (only fast compared to continental drift) were achieved on a hardtail. Your body will thank you when you hit "Hurl Hill" and the long climb at the end of the race. I have no idea about the Super D race, but I would suspect the Moto-Lite would be better than the heavier Moment. In the past, a 6-inch bike like your Moment would have been perfect for the DH race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,774 Posts
best advice..

yangpei said:
My friends and I are thinking about making a trip up to Monterey for Sea Otter. I was wondering how the xc course is like. Any ideas on what the Super D may be like? For the XC, I was thinking of either my 21.5 lb Seven Sola hardtail or my 26 lb Moto-lite. For Super D, either the Moto-lite or my 31 lb Moment. Any recommendations on which bike to use for each event? Thanks.
Pre ride..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Pre ride..
obviously the best choice, but he might not have room for all three on the drive up...
I'm going for my first time this year as well, and doing the super d on my aprox. 35lb evo. It's the only bike I have built up right now, so I'm on the fence about the xc race, maybe I'll use my wife's rockhopper.
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,655 Posts
jrm said:
Pre ride..
Yep.

I've always raced the XC on a full suspension bike, but last year pre rode the course on a full rigid and it wasn't really that bad. This year I'm doing it on a hardtail w/ a Mag20 up front.

If you're in race mode, opt for the lighter weight bike and take the added punishment.

As for the Super D, this is the first year for that, but I have a feeling it won't be too dissimilar to the local CCCX (www.cccx.org) Super D held not too far away. A light weight full sussy will be plenty.

The event as a whole is a complete blast. Make a full weekend of it and you won't regret it.
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,655 Posts
hardway said:
obviously the best choice, but he might not have room for all three on the drive up...
I'm going for my first time this year as well, and doing the super d on my aprox. 35lb evo. It's the only bike I have built up right now, so I'm on the fence about the xc race, maybe I'll use my wife's rockhopper.
Lugging that 35lbs around the race course won't feel very good. :(

You actually might even be at a disadvantage in the Super D too...
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,655 Posts
Menso said:
Go as light as possible. After looking at the course map for the SuperD, there's a very good chance I will be doing that on my 22 lbs hardtail instead of full sus. It started with an 1/8 to 1/4 mile climb, and then fireroad down. Not very technical at all.
How'd you know what the Super D course was? Does it say on the SOC website and you pre-rode it already?

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Le Mans style start.
 

·
What would Pimpbot do?
Joined
·
364 Posts
Cyclocross in Sea Otter XC race?

First of all, I am in no way affilliated with cyclocross bikes. I have never ridden one nor do I ever plan to do so. However, I have great respect for our skinny-tire-on-dirt brothers.

The Question: Is it legal to race a CX bike in the amateur Sea Otter XC race?

I ride Sierra Azul trails a few times per month and I have seen CX guys flying uphill. I saw one CX crushing the Kennedy climb and another fella out of saddle climbing OVERGROWN!:shocked: They could prolly do some damage in a Sea Otter XC race if the trail conditions are right.

I'll be in the Beginner's XC race as it will be my 1st bike race ever. Climbing hardpack against one of those CX cats would be depressing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
Lugging that 35lbs around the race course won't feel very good.

You actually might even be at a disadvantage in the Super D too...
I know, but I'm not exactly looking for the win. As this is my first mtb race ever, I'm just coming to play. Maybe next year I'll get more serious about it.
 

·
Feeling a little taller
Joined
·
6,705 Posts
FoggyGoggles said:
First of all, I am in no way affilliated with cyclocross bikes. I have never ridden one nor do I ever plan to do so. However, I have great respect for our skinny-tire-on-dirt brothers.

The Question: Is it legal to race a CX bike in the amateur Sea Otter XC race?

I ride Sierra Azul trails a few times per month and I have seen CX guys flying uphill. I saw one CX crushing the Kennedy climb and another fella out of saddle climbing OVERGROWN!:shocked: They could prolly do some damage in a Sea Otter XC race if the trail conditions are right.

I'll be in the Beginner's XC race as it will be my 1st bike race ever. Climbing hardpack against one of those CX cats would be depressing.
I'm not entirely sure what the present rules are but one crazy bashtard we used to ride with before he got a Nova raced the sea otter on a fixed-gear road bike outfitted with CX tires and finished pretty well as I remember.
 

·
MTB SOCAL
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

Looks like the concensus is the lighter, the better for XC and FS is not really necessary. So, I'm leaning towards the hardtail for XC. As for Super D, I'll have to toss a coin between the Moto-Lite and Moment. I'm more comfortable on fast descents with the Moment, but it doesn't sound like I need 6 in travel and the 31 lbs may be a handicap. As for pre-riding, I won't have time to pre-ride the Super D because it's on Thursday. I may be able to pre-ride the XC on Friday, however. Thanks for the imput.
 

·
Let's ride
Joined
·
7,125 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Yep.

I've always raced the XC on a full suspension bike, but last year pre rode the course on a full rigid and it wasn't really that bad. This year I'm doing it on a hardtail w/ a Mag20 up front.
Mag20 or Mag21?

YP, for sure ride it with the HT. The ML is anything but a good climber when it comes to racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
In a word, yes.

FoggyGoggles said:
First of all, I am in no way affilliated with cyclocross bikes. I have never ridden one nor do I ever plan to do so. However, I have great respect for our skinny-tire-on-dirt brothers.

The Question: Is it legal to race a CX bike in the amateur Sea Otter XC race?

I ride Sierra Azul trails a few times per month and I have seen CX guys flying uphill. I saw one CX crushing the Kennedy climb and another fella out of saddle climbing OVERGROWN!:shocked: They could prolly do some damage in a Sea Otter XC race if the trail conditions are right.

I'll be in the Beginner's XC race as it will be my 1st bike race ever. Climbing hardpack against one of those CX cats would be depressing.
In a word,Yes, a CX bike would be legal. Don't think there'll be too, too many in the beginner class though. If you're really concerned about them, hope for dry weather - CX bikes have an annoying tendancy to "knife in" in really sandy conditions [like the Fort Ord area]. I always enjoy my gymnastics moves in loose conditions.
Good luck with your racing. You'll have a blast.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top