Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I need advice on what to get. I'm a college student who rides some singletrack trails and the like, nothing too fancy. I need a bike that I can ride around campus and also take on the trails when I get a chance. My choices are Gary Fisher Tarpon ($300); Marin Bolinas ($320); or Specialized Hardrock XC ($330). Which one do you think would work best or be the best quality for my limited budget? Thanks in advance for any input.

BikeGreese

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
That Hardrock is an excellent entry level bike. Upgrades can be made as necessary.
Good luck on your search!

·
dirty trail dog
601 Posts
Seconding the Ibex suggestion. It has much better components than the Hardrock for around the same price. The Dart fork, although it is the lowest level Rock Shox fork available, is still light years better than the RST piece o' crap that Spec slaps on the HR XC. And Shimano Alivio level components will serve you a lot better than the generic Shimano department store stuff on the XC.

However, the Hardrock frame is the strongest, best low-end hardtail frame around, if you ask me. I rode an '05 Sport Disk for a year and half out in Colorado, and after making about $400 worth of upgrades, it was a beast. I beat the hell out of that frame and it never complained once.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.