Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a bike from this site? I was looking at the BH 29er but I think I better stick with my LBS.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
My friend purchased a Fuji road bike on deep discount from them. Good guy. Bike came almost ready to ride. I spend about half an hour assembling it and that was it.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
There is a ton of threads about BD. I did recently purchase a road bike from them. It was a 2014 LeChampion Pro. Full carbon fiber, full Ultegra group set, full Ritchey cockpit, and Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I got it for 1800 dollars. When I went to price a similar bike from Cannondale or Specialized, I was looking at 4k. I like riding road, but it is not sickness like mountain. I wanted to get a high quality bike but knew my budget was around 2K. This was the best deal I could find. What I did not expect, though, was for the bike to be as good as it was. Very stiff, very light, and very smooth. I really like the bike. it rides great, weighs 18 pounds with pedals, and it was an easy transaction. I can't fault BD at all.

I would not however, buy a mountain bike from them. Maybe a hardtail, but definitely not full suspension.

·
Lone Wolf
1,790 Posts
It's a crap shoot, the Internet,
My next door neighbor got a FS Jamis from Bikes Direct, paid a grand,
site said it was worth $1800..
Didn't even have wet brakes,,, bike just hangs on his garage wall and its heavy.

I'll continue to support my LBS and buy what they stock.
I'm doing fine on a Scott Aspect 940 HT 29er, entry level with wet brakes..$600

It's 29.9 pounds now that I made it a 1X9
Kept the front middle chaining, a 32 and swapped the cassette to a 12X36

When I started I wanted a lighter bike right away,,, I lost 27 pounds,,
Just the same as taking 27 pounds off the bike right !

I no longer feel the need for a lighter bike at all.....

BTW I rode a $1600 HT and could not feel the benefit over mine..
It would prolly be ok once I stripped off the bells and whistles tho,,,,

·
Registered
250 Posts
BD bikes are a great value if you don't mind simple frame graphics. You get a bike for half of the MSRP of brand name equivalent.

I bought a fantom pro29 in 2011 from them and could not be happier. Now I have a different frame that I built up but I transferred most parts from that Moto.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
101 Posts
I purchased a HT 29er from BD 2 years ago. If your not comfortable, have your LBS build it. I don't think you can beat their price, period. This is a great place to shop a solid bike, probably not a hard core bike.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
It's a crap shoot, the Internet,
My next door neighbor got a FS Jamis from Bikes Direct, paid a grand,
site said it was worth $1800..
Didn't even have wet brakes,,, bike just hangs on his garage wall and its heavy.
I have never seen a Jamis on BD. I could be wrong, but I have been looking at their site for about 8 years pretty regularly, and I have never seen a Jamis anything.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I bought a Motobecane DS650 from them in 2011. Assembled it in my living room in about a half hour and went for a ride. No complaints here. Was happy with the transaction.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Get a cold beer and do some searching... a bazillion threads on this topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have bought two bikes from them, one before this last Christmas for my wife and one this month for my oldest daughter. Great bikes for the money and how my wife and daughter will use the their new mountain bikes. They were easy to put together and needed only minor shifting adjustments.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Has anyone purchased a bike from this site? I was looking at the BH 29er but I think I better stick with my LBS.
They are legit and reliable, I bought my brother's bike from them. However, there are a few more good bike stores online. Just do a google search, there are a lot of info available on this topic.

·
Big Test Icycles
1,480 Posts
I've always wanted a Ti HT and this year bought a 29er Phantom Pro. Could not be happier. Good price with decent x9 parts. I have nothing against any of my local shops but I saved $$ going with BD. Now I plan to replace parts as they wear out but keep the frame. It all depends on what you buy from them. I'd stay away from the FS stuff. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts