Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently ride a specialized allez sport on the road and am looking to purchase a mtn bike this spring. I was thinking I'd stick to Specialized but I thought I'd look around and see what other manufacturers have to offer. Does Giant offer anything comparable to the 2010 Stumpy? The 2010 stumpy has more travel with the ability to lock out both front and rear suspension components. I was looking at the Trance and Reign but I'm not sure how close they are. Any ideas?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Trance X is it

I don't think Giant still makes a Trance. The TranceX is about 5" of travel front and back, and one of the upper models (X0, X1, maybe X2) would get you the adjustability and weight of a Stumpy, I bet. I have an old Reign - it's got more travel and is slacker than a Stumpy, and the Reigns have only gotten more slack(er) through the years.

·
Registered
413 Posts
swengo86 said:
I currently ride a specialized allez sport on the road and am looking to purchase a mtn bike this spring. I was thinking I'd stick to Specialized but I thought I'd look around and see what other manufacturers have to offer. Does Giant offer anything comparable to the 2010 Stumpy? The 2010 stumpy has more travel with the ability to lock out both front and rear suspension components. I was looking at the Trance and Reign but I'm not sure how close they are. Any ideas?
I was a HUGE Spec fan for years. I rode them and I got all my friends on them too. When I went looking for a new bike I saw that the latest stumpys were very lazy slack angled open trail cruisers (08 at the time and 09's were more of the same).

My LBS told me to look at the Giant Trance X's They were better spec'd for the price and after riding and researching I saw that the Giant Maestro suspension was superior to Spec's FSR system. You don't need Propedal or a Brain as it has antisquat it handles sharp impacts better and it just rocks. The Trance X also is sharper handling...not XC race bike twitchy but perfect for where I ride.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
formulaone33 said:
I was a HUGE Spec fan for years. I rode them and I got all my friends on them too. When I went looking for a new bike I saw that the latest stumpys were very lazy slack angled open trail cruisers (08 at the time and 09's were more of the same).

My LBS told me to look at the Giant Trance X's They were better spec'd for the price and after riding and researching I saw that the Giant Maestro suspension was superior to Spec's FSR system. You don't need Propedal or a Brain as it has antisquat it handles sharp impacts better and it just rocks. The Trance X also is sharper handling...not XC race bike twitchy but perfect for where I ride.

Yea i have heard that the giants handle pretty well. What about any type of lock out ability? I know the stumpy has the ability to lock out front and rear suspension, which comes in handy on rail trails, climbs, etc. Do the higher spec'ed tranceX have that ability? Right now I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible to make an informed decision...but in the end i know it all comes down to getting to the LBS and taking each of the different bikes for a spin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
They are the same in that respect. Both have forks with open and locked out with a blow off settings. Both have rear shocks with open and propedal settings. Honestly though, the more you ride full suspension the less you use that stuff. The bikes are so well sorted out now-a-days that you can just ride them wide open. The only people that really use the lock out/propedal are riders new to rear suspension coming off hard tails and the patform pedal set that pedal all choppy like angry gibbons.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
1. Where you you live? What kind of trails do you ride, this should help determine what kind of bike you need.

2. What's your budget?

The Stumpy sits in between the TX and Reign, fork-travel and geometry wise. There is also a 29er version, if thats your thing.

But there are lots of bikes in the 120mm to 140mm "trail bike" category, so I'd say try as many as you can.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what about the components on the trance x2 or x3? I saw it has all shimano but i've been told sram is the way to go for off road components. would this be something that would possibly need upgraded? the stumpy comes with sram as does the reign.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I was gung-ho about buying a stumpy last year (leftover '08 comp) but I rented one for a weekend and felt it handled a little too slow for my liking and wasn't as flickable as I hoped it would be. I rode a TranceX for a few hours on a Giant demo day and it fit me like a glove, both geometry-wise and also riding style. Take a look at other trailbikes in this segment as well, there's certainly no shortage out there. I really like the Maestro suspension on my TranceX, I very seldom find myself using the propedal/lockout because the suspension is so efficient...and the bike is quite lively for having 5" of travel on both ends...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
swengo86 said:
what about the components on the trance x2 or x3? I saw it has all shimano but i've been told sram is the way to go for off road components. would this be something that would possibly need upgraded? the stumpy comes with sram as does the reign.
Shimano and SRAM are the top companies in shifting and drivetrain components for mountain bikes. Both are excellent, and neither has a distinct advantage over the other. People have preferences, so try them both out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would be the big noticeable differences between the x2 and x3? Is it the same frame or no? I know the suspension bits are different but how much of a difference would ride quality be between the two versions? I'd like to stay closer to the $2000 of the x3 if possible.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's the same frame. The fork is the same for both (according to the specs on Giant's website for the 2010 versions). The Float R rear shock on the X3 lacks the propedal setting that the X2 offers on its RP2 shock which is a nice-to-have for fire roads or extended climbs. The drivetrain and brakes on the X3 are a couple steps down from those of the X2 but nothing you can't upgrade later if need be. The difference in MSRP is $700 or so, it comes down to being your call. Have you looked around at leftover 2009 models? Might be able to snag a deal on one of those...

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
tdotrider said:
I'm pretty sure it's the same frame. The fork is the same for both (according to the specs on Giant's website for the 2010 versions). The Float R rear shock on the X3 lacks the propedal setting that the X2 offers on its RP2 shock which is a nice-to-have for fire roads or extended climbs. The drivetrain and brakes on the X3 are a couple steps down from those of the X2 but nothing you can't upgrade later if need be. The difference in MSRP is $700 or so, it comes down to being your call. Have you looked around at leftover 2009 models? Might be able to snag a deal on one of those...
Also its quite possible that the LBS will have lower prices than the MSRP. But definitely look for an '09, or evne '08 closeout. The frame is the same (excellent) on all three years, so get the most components you can for the buck. I bet you can find an '09 X2 for around $2000, and it will be a hell of a bike.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
laxman2001 said:
Also its quite possible that the LBS will have lower prices than the MSRP. But definitely look for an '09, or evne '08 closeout. The frame is the same (excellent) on all three years, so get the most components you can for the buck. I bet you can find an '09 X2 for around $2000, and it will be a hell of a bike.
Yea I was kind of thinking the same thing. MSRP is generally a little higher than actual retail price. Plus, I'm looking for a bike for my girlfriend as well so I may be able to get some type of discount for purchasing more than one bike. The only problem is I have just 2 Giant dealers near by so I'm kind of limited in that sense unless I want to drive over an hour. We'll see what those stores have in stock.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tdotrider said:
Any idea of the Float R has any lockout capability? You mentioned it does not have pro predal but what about locking out all the way?

·
Registered
740 Posts
swengo86 said:
Any idea of the Float R has any lockout capability? You mentioned it does not have pro predal but what about locking out all the way?
None of the Fox shocks have a "total lockout", instead they have varying degrees of propedal. The RP23 has three levels of propedal (plus wide-open), the RP2 as one level of propedal (plus wide-open) and the R has no propedal option. The compression of the R is adjustable using air pressure in the canister, and it has rebound.

My previous bike had the RP23 but my Trance X2 has the RP2 and I don't miss the fancier shock. I rarely use the propedal feature but it is nice to have in some situations. Also keep in mind that the shock size on the Trance X frame isn't very common so upgrading the shock down the road might be a hassle and expensive...

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
tdotrider said:
None of the Fox shocks have a "total lockout", instead they have varying degrees of propedal. The RP23 has three levels of propedal (plus wide-open), the RP2 as one level of propedal (plus wide-open) and the R has no propedal option. The compression of the R is adjustable using air pressure in the canister, and it has rebound.

My previous bike had the RP23 but my Trance X2 has the RP2 and I don't miss the fancier shock. I rarely use the propedal feature but it is nice to have in some situations. Also keep in mind that the shock size on the Trance X frame isn't very common so upgrading the shock down the road might be a hassle and expensive...
According to the fox website the RPL has lockout. I dunno about the RP23, hard to tell exactly. The R has a set level of propedal, rather than no propedal.

Honestly the ability to lock out the shock isnt that big of a deal, I think the fork is much more important, at least with maestro.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Laxman you're right, I didn't think of the RPL (heard about it, never seen it). Also right about the R, it has a factory-set propedal but no option to turn it off or on. I'll check my facts next time, my bad.

I agree though, especially with Maestro, you'll get more "bob" out of your fork than out of the rear end so having a lockout feature on the fork is nice...

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.