Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(x post) 24 people, 90+hours, 15+ loads of junk, trash, mattresses, rotten pallets, rusty cans etc later... no rain and great schwag... cleaning up a local city park that's full of mtb trails.This is our pile we made for the city trash guys to come and get. That is ALL stuff we collected.

https://www.fttrc.org/photos/cleanup/index.html here's a whole album of pics

formica

·
Registered
44 Posts
great job man

applause :)

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guital2 said:
Hey theres Dan the man.......Sorry I couldnt make It I had to WORK on bikes for the good of society.....Congrats though , much appreciated.
yeah, that's the problems with Saturday, we were lucky to get Dan and Shane from Mountain View Cyclery.
The editor of Out There Monthly wants some of the pictures, maybe we'll get an article soon (???)
Are you on our email list, PM me with your email address if you want to get notices, about 1 mail a week or so.

Formica

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Wow!! That's alot of garbage yall collected. great Job! It's pretty dispicable that the people around there threw so much trash away in the park. Do the locals just dump garbage off the side of the dirt roads? That happens here in Oregon sometimes, with country folk dumping their old furniture/appliances and bags of garbage at dead ends of logging roads.
Anyways, good work, I'm sure the trails are alot nicer looking without having to ride past all that garbage.

formica said:
(x post) 24 people, 90+hours, 15+ loads of junk, trash, mattresses, rotten pallets, rusty cans etc later... no rain and great schwag... cleaning up a local city park that's full of mtb trails.This is our pile we made for the city trash guys to come and get. That is ALL stuff we collected.

https://www.fttrc.org/photos/cleanup/index.html here's a whole album of pics

formica

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Some of the trash was really, really old. If you look at the photos we took,you'll see piles of rusty disintergrated junk. We found cans with sapling growing through them. There was some construction dumping; not much. There's are area that's next to the road, that was pretty bad. Up at the top, on the private land adjacent, there had been some recent dumping. I'm just glad we didn't find any meth dumps: unfortunately that's not uncommon around here.

here's the cool thing. Our club is brand spanking new as of the first of the year. The city just started it's Adopt a Park program, and we got in right away. This park we adopted is one of the main MTB areas and they are really cool with that. The main problems are that some folks have the idea that public = free for all, build/do whatever you want. There's a lot of really cool natural terrain there; DH races have been held here for years. We did a walk though with the parks people a few weeks ago, and we were surprised at how receptive they were to dirt jumps, ttf's and the stuff that's been going on up there. What is NOT cool is stuff built out of old crappy lumber, poorly designed and unsafe features, dirt jumps that leave craters where dirt was dug out to make a kicker and so on. We've been given permission to start designing things built safely, IMBA guidelines, etc etc, with approval etc. In two weeks we are having a trail maintenance workshop there!

The site director wants me to give a presentation to the park board in a few weeks about our clean up :eek: :eek:

formica

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Way to go!! :D

Never thought a pile of trash could make such a beautiful photo.

As for the upcoming presentation, just rehearse it until you're bored of it. Feeling overprepared helps. As our new group VP says, "Public speaking is my new extreme sport...similar rush."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.