Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a vacation on short notice to Durango and Crested Butte. The plan is to spend two days riding in Durango, two in Crested Butte, and then go ride Monarch Crest before heading home. I'm looking for biker friendly hotels in Durango and CB. Either a hotel that has outside doors to every room or one that won't mind me bringing a bike in at night. Can't stand the thought of leaving two expensive bikes on my car all night. And, I would prefer cheaper places since I'm on a budget. Thanks

C

·
Basura Blanca
1,790 Posts
The CB Hostel has bike storage for guests, and is (relatively) inexpensive. As hostels go, it's a pretty nice place.
- Joe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I'll look into it, thanks. I saw your report a while back about your month or so in CB. If you only had two days to ride there what two trails would you do?

Craig

NuMexJoe said:
The CB Hostel has bike storage for guests, and is (relatively) inexpensive. As hostels go, it's a pretty nice place.
- Joe

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
I second the hosel. The common area is very comfy and nice and there are usually lots of cool folks to hang out with.
I spent three weeks there in Nov.

·
Basura Blanca
1,790 Posts
I take it this is your first visit? Then you'll want to do Trail 401. It's not necessarily the best, but one could argue it is the quintessential CB ride. If you ride it from town and you're feeling good once you're back on the dirt road, you could hit Snodgrass on your way back to town (if it's still open - it closes early), as it's another CB classic. And then I'd recommend Reno/Flag/Bear/Dead, or a combination that hits Upper/Upper Upper, then over to Strand Hill. Lots of other great rides, but that's what I'd suggest for two days if it's your first visit. Have a great trip!
- Joe

pigpen said:
I'll look into it, thanks. I saw your report a while back about your month or so in CB. If you only had two days to ride there what two trails would you do?

Craig

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
pigpen said:
I'm planning a vacation on short notice to Durango and Crested Butte. The plan is to spend two days riding in Durango, two in Crested Butte, and then go ride Monarch Crest before heading home. I'm looking for biker friendly hotels in Durango and CB. Either a hotel that has outside doors to every room or one that won't mind me bringing a bike in at night. Can't stand the thought of leaving two expensive bikes on my car all night. And, I would prefer cheaper places since I'm on a budget. Thanks

C
Unfortunatly I'm not home right now, so I can't check, but I think Days End might suit you, y can call and ask. They are not right downtown, but quick trolly ride for dinner and stuff, or an easy bike ride.
There are lots of motels "up-town", I would be willing to bet most will not have a problem bringing your bikes into the room. On the other hand, this is Durango, plenty of expensive bikes around and very little bike theft that I know of.

Craig

·
Bikes in jeans
2,308 Posts
I'm from CB. We don't have many hotels or motels. The lodge on the mountain may be open, or the old town inn, right when you get into CB. Other than that there really isn't any motels. You also might check out a bed and breakfast if you can spare the cash, or if your really tight on money, there is a Hostel, on the way up the mountain. Also Gunnison has quite a few motels if there is nothing in CB.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts