Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience bikepacking the Ozark Trail, particularly any of the southern sections? I'm wanting to try to do the Between the Rivers and Eleven Point sections out and back in like 4 ish days (about 30 miles a day), but don't know rideable those trails really are.

For instance, the Victory section near Poplar Bluff allows bicycles, but mostly isn't that rideable, and I'd pick it for a day trip but not for bikepacking. There are too many fallen trees and missing trail markers. Same goes with the Wapapello section.

Unfortunately I'll have to try to do this alone, as none of my friends are really into bikepacking, and the ones who are into touring related activities really only want to ride road bikes. So if anyone with experience in the area thinks that's way too dangerous, it'd be good to know.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's not a lot of info on conditions for bikes south of the Karkaghne section. Most reports indicate the same sort of conditions as you mentioned for Victory and Wappapello.
Here are a couple of accounts of other trips on some of the more popular northern sections:

Mitch the MashOr: Nate, Brian. Brian, Nate.
https://terrain-mag.com/15871-2/
Cool, thanks. I'll have to give that some thought. I suppose that worst case scenario trailwise is that I go away wishing I had ridden a different trail. I've been a few miles hiking in the Between the Rivers section in winter and thought that looked promising, but having seen such a small amount doesn't speak to much. I could, and should probably plan on some overnight trips that are closer to St. Louis first, then.

Have you ridden the Marble Creek section, the lollipop loop in the St. Francois mountains? It seems like a good day trip.

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should also check w/ the folks on the Bikepacking forum.
True. I actually was torn on which forum to post in, because I figured it would more easily get lost in the fray there. Although, between some info gathered here and there I'm starting to think that, despite having great potential, there'ss probably a reason almost nobody rides there, but that's no reason to never consider exploring the sections. I think I'm going to try a couple over night trips close to home and maybe do one of these sections in the autumn.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I bikepacked the Karkagne north to Bass River a couple years back but haven't ridden anything south of that.

Looks like BTR->11 point->Blue Ridge Trail gets you almost 70mi of singletrack, could make for a good weekender. I can't see it being particularly dangerous...rolling out prepared and dismounting for anything potentially sketchy ought to provide enough safety margin.

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bikepacked the Karkagne north to Bass River a couple years back but haven't ridden anything south of that.

Looks like BTR->11 point->Blue Ridge Trail gets you almost 70mi of singletrack, could make for a good weekender. I can't see it being particularly dangerous...rolling out prepared and dismounting for anything potentially sketchy ought to provide enough safety margin.
Thanks, I just saw this. That's good to know that you think it wouldn't be too dangerous as long as I'm prepared. I don't think I'll be able to do this until probably October/November, partially for need of training, lack of time since I'm busy at work and with home repairs, and the need to acquire some more necessary equipment. I do have a hammock and a tarp/tent thing, and I think that I would bring that and keep my bike under my hammock in case of rain. Having hiked a portion of the BtR section, I think that the biggest threat for me would be those cherty Ozark hillsides that seem mostly smooth on the trail, but the surface is very fine chert, so the slightest jerk of the bars can cause a washout if you're not careful. I wish I could say I fell for that only once...

Cool tip on the Blue ridge trail, a quick glimpse and it's totally possible to ride the Blue Ridge and then use gravel/FS roads almost all the way back to the first trailhead. That'd be an adventure!

I've been looking at some gravel bikepacking options, and have kind of wanted to bike the Katy Trail for a while, but it does seem rather flat. An easy way to get trapped in your own head. I recently learned about the Butterfield Stage Experience, which is based on a historical wagon route, and goes from Jefferson City to Springfield using mostly gravel roads with some single track and minimal pavement thrown in. It's about 250 miles of gravel grinding. I would love to do that. If I rode St. Lou to Jeff City on the Katy trail and then did the BSE, that'd be some pretty legit bikepacking through the state.

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Admittedly, I have this idea in my head that I want to bike from the lowest point in Missouri, down in the bootheel, to the highest point at Taum Sauk Mt. The nice thing is that you could take gravel roads almost exclusively until you get to the Wappapello section of the OT, but at Sam A. Baker you'd have to take paved bike path and then road to the next gravel road (also have to bike up Mudlick Mountain, just because), which connects to the Marble Creek section with minimal paved road usage. Then you can pretty well get to Arcadia on gravel. From there, you can't get to Taum Sauk on gravel. You'd have to take 21 to 72 , which has a shoulder to start off with, and then CC, which is even narrower. So the last 10 ish miles would be progressively more rural country roads. It could be done, but it really isn't safe.

Here's a link to the route I've devised, just note that Strava doesn't have a clue about some single track sections on the OT and at University Forest CA north of Poplar Bluff. Is this a pipe dream worth wanting to achieve?

https://www.strava.com/routes/19650304

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.