Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
meh
1,213 Posts
good question, Ill ride my Fargo from Dallas to the surrounding State Parks by various means of roads and such, then can ride some of the trails at the parks...nothing like the bikepacking trips i read about online though

·
gran jefe
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
389 Posts
Around here, it looks like the Sam Houston National Forest might be a good place to visit.
National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Sam Houston Multiple-Use Trails
Sam Houston National Forest

Not sure how much of the Lone Star Hiking Trail is closed to bikers, if any.
National Forests and Grasslands in Texas - Lone Star Hiking Trail
Backpacker Magazine - Lone Star Hiking Trail, Texas
The multi-use trails are pretty torn up by the 4 wheelers and horses. And unfortunately the LST is still off limits to bikes. That would be nice. I've hiked a lot of the LST, Their are lots of sections that would be fun to ride. Not to mention it's over 120 miles long.

·
Registered
389 Posts
By torn up, what do you mean? Bumpy would be okay. Miles of sand, not so much.

Have you ever hiked on the 4Cs trail? I haven't but wondered if it would be smooth enough to ride on.

In the panhandle, LBJ has miles and miles of trails, but that would be a loooong way from me.
Kinda like riding through sand. The spinning ATV tires and horses churn the soil up. Its doable but it wouldn't be much fun on a loaded down bike.

I have hiked a section of the 4C. It looks like it would be a lot of fun on a bike, The area is hilly and very scenic. Not to sure they allow bikes though.

·
gran jefe
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ride to Bluff Creek, camp. Ride to Rocky Hill, camp. Ride back to Houston. Best I can think of at the moment...
What, you aren't going to suggest camping at The Anthills? ;)

Kinda like riding through sand. The spinning ATV tires and horses churn the soil up. Its doable but it wouldn't be much fun on a loaded down bike.
Yuck. Okay, then.

I have hiked a section of the 4C. It looks like it would be a lot of fun on a bike, The area is hilly and very scenic. Not to sure they allow bikes though.
Have not seen any prohibitions on bikes yet. Might be worth a ride.

If you want to do a mult-iday trip on a bike in East Texas you may have to consider riding the road a bit.

Davy Crockett NF would be a nice place to ride. Lots of places to camp.

I found a map of the area. Most of the FS roads are gravel and the FM road would be 2 lane tarmac.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5323712.pdf
Thanks for the link. I need to spend some time looking at that.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,509 Posts
The 4C is prohibited to bikes.

Davy Crockett National Forest

No horses, bikes, or off-road vehicles are permitted on the Four C National Recreation Trail. A portion of the trail traverses the Big Slough Wilderness Area.
Nearby, however, the Piney Creek Horse Camp has 50 miles of trails and bikes ARE permitted.

http://www.fs.fed.us/outernet/r8/texas/maps/forest_maps/davy_rec_2010_web.pdf

However, camping in the area of the piney creek trails is restricted to the campgrounds or designated hunter camps during hunting season. And, the trails here are not the most interesting to ride on. I didn't ride them all, but the ones I did ride were flat and boring. When I rode there the sand was moist and packed, but in the drier months, this place would be a nightmare on a bike - but might be a really good place for a fatbike.

There are some mt bike-able trails in the Angelina NF. I rode some of them awhile back.

Mountain Biking in the Angelina National Forest | The GPS Geek

There's a network of trails in this area I would estimate at around 25mi. Not all of them are worth riding. There's some significant HAB stuff here from storm blowdown. Some of the trails are in low, wet places, too. That's mainly the reason I haven't been back. But, on my ride out here, I didn't see another soul, and I saw a pack of coyotes running through the woods. It's pretty quiet. These trails are much more interesting than the piney creek horse trails. They're essentially unmaintained, though, so be prepared for rugged sections.

·
Wanderer
852 Posts
From the THP Memorial/Eldridge parking lot, its 35 miles to SFA Park. Once there you have a fun trail, bathroom and showers. Camp and ride back the next day.

Lots of neat hidden places in GBP and the Addicks side to camp also (when its not flooded). Just be sure to bring your bug spray. Theres easily 100 miles of routes out there if you venture away from the normal THP/GBP routes.

·
since 4/10/2009
32,509 Posts
my first time out with a 60 lb bike/gear, i should probably stick to flat and boring. :) Piney Creek might be a good place for a first trip. I'm also thinking about Hill Country State Natural Area, but that is a pretty good drive from here. Thank you for those tips, Nate.
Then Piney Creek would probably be a good place. It's SO incredibly sandy out here, though, don't ride here in the middle of the summer. Make sure it's been wet somewhat recently so the sand sticks together and provides a solid riding surface. If nobody's been riding horses here for awhile, recent rains will have smoothed out most of the horse hoofprints. And from what I can tell, most horse riders don't want to haul all the way out here to ride for the afternoon. They'd rather poach the mtb trails in Nac. I have no idea how this place is used during hunting season.

One word of note - carry a GOOD map (like a USGS Topo quad). The ones linked to in this thread aren't really that good. I carried one with me when I rode and it didn't help. I had plans to follow a particular loop. I got to a road crossing and never found where the trail picked up on the other side. Had to ride the road all the way back to the car. If I had brought my GPS, it might have helped just to know exactly where on the road I was to help focus my search for the trail.

If you're planning a trip out here sometime, let me know. It's less than an hour from me and I might be able to swing it, depending on how long you'll be out. I'm pretty busy with my thesis these days, but depending on when you go, might be able to carve out some time for an overnight.

·
meh
1,213 Posts
I wouldnt call TSP a bikepacking venue, has some great single track though...just a small state park with a small lake and some camping sites

·
since 4/10/2009
32,509 Posts
Never been there. What's it like? How far away from civilization can you get?
You're never very far from the main park road. The trail system is a stacked loop layout with the loops farthest from the trailhead being the most difficult. This is not a bikepacking venue, but it is a good car camp and ride venue.

The trail is mostly fast, smooth singletrack. The deeper 2 loops are more technical and rocky with some short, steep climbs (only 1 or 2, really). It's a fun trail. Depending on the wind, the proximity of the trail to the campground can suck. I've been there at times when the smoke from the campfires was blowing up onto the trail. Not fun when you're pushing yourself hard.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts