Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
BCD, I'm wanting to use my 2012 Element for bikepacking and am wondering what seat pack do you use for your Sherpa and what is the length from your seat rails to the closest part of your rear tire? What do you find is the minimum rear tire clearance?

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
BCD, I'm wanting to use my 2012 Element for bikepacking and am wondering what seat pack do you use for your Sherpa and what is the length from your seat rails to the closest part of your rear tire? What do you find is the minimum rear tire clearance?
I have the Porcelain Rocket "Mr Fusion" seat pack. Distance from bottom of seat rail to closest tire on my medium Sherpa is ~10.75" With a fully loaded dry bag I have ~ 4" tire clearance...

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
My distance is 26cm/10.25". Is there that much room to spare for Mr. Fusion at full shock compression?
You should be fine, I never had any tire rubbing issues. For general trail riding on the Sherpa I have 150 lb in the shock and 50 lb in the fork (i'm 160 lb out of the shower). When using it for bikepacking I up the shock to 180 and the fork to 65. While bikepacking I'm also wear a small pack with 2L hydration pack plus some other items but nothing very heavy....

You may have to play around a bit until you get it dialed. I like the Mr Fusion because there is zero back and forth sway from the seatpack, which is very nice for trail based bikepacking

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just completed a good section of the park to park trail.
Started at hwy 11 at Scotia, 75km across to the 400 and Oastler Lake prov park.
45km on day 2 to Killbear.

This was my first bikepacking trip, and lots of learning was done along the way. I rode a Surly Puglsey with a filzer rack, two MEC rolltop panniers on the back, Blackburn fork cages up front with two 20L SealLine dry bags, and a frame bag with my water bladder inside. Backpack had my tools and snacks, as well as a rain coat for around the campsite as the weather was threatening all weekend.

As for the trail, with the wet summer it was extremely moist out there. I was past my shins within 5km of the trailhead and eventually swapped to my flipflops for riding as there was no way my shoes would ever dry. I was very happy to be riding the pugs with Knard 3.8s as the trail is primarily sandy.
With the ATV/dirtbike in the summer and snowmobile traffic in the winter, the trail is rough even though it's sandy. Long rolling sand waves turn smaller and shorter which were rough on full rigid without a thudbuster seatpost - something I would invest in if I did it again.

The waterholes were frequent and often well over the BB. The worst of which was about 150' long and at it's deepest was nearly at my waist. With the dry bags and 12psi in the Knards, the rig floated beside me nicely.

The 20km heading towards hwy 400 were quite nice. Almost a gravel cottage road for most of it, and downhill for the last few clicks to the rest stop.

I didn't realize how challenging the 75km would be, so hopefully someone reads this and chats with me before they do this ride. If you're expecting a leisurely railtrail, this isn't it! I recommend the trail around minesing if you want easy.

Day 2 was all road, and happy I was on the Knards for that. Lots of hills on 559 to Killbear, and was thankful for my 1x10 with the 28t front surly chainring for the long grunts. Not much to speak of on this ride except for some raw skin on the backside from day 1 which got worse on day 2.

As for gear, I did opt for the panniers over the seatpack, and if that makes me a "tourer" over a true bikepacker, so be it, I could not care less about the semantics or aesthetics. It let me pack maybe a bit more than some, but I was comfy as could be.

Pack included:
- North Face Tuolemne 2 tent
- MEC reactor sleeping pad
- Sail Protex 5C sleeping bag
- Biolite campstove2 with kettlepot
- platypus backpack with 3L waterbladder
- change of clothes and chamois
- 2 dehydrated meals
- buckshot speaker/powerpack/light

I'll try to post some pictures tonight from home.

I definitely recommend this trip, with the right footwear and backside padding.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for posting up alpha, looking forward to the pics! How was the biolite given the wetness of the summer? And I thought you're not supposed to use deadfall in a park to fuel it? Did you set up a bear bag overnight for your meals and snacks?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for posting up alpha, looking forward to the pics! How was the biolite given the wetness of the summer? And I thought you're not supposed to use deadfall in a park to fuel it? Did you set up a bear bag overnight for your meals and snacks?
Biolite was great! I bought a bag of kindling and carried a gerber myth hatchet in my tools, only about 1lb. Easy to make smaller pieces for the stove. Very nice to have the battery generator built into the stove I must say.

I used one of my drybags for a bear bag and had a bit of rope with me for the tree. There were some young loud campers across from me who didn't bear proof their site very well so I felt fine from a safety perspective ;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I do a lot of backcountry travel and am planning on trying out bikepacking (finally!) this year. For waterfilter, I use a Sawyer Squeeze. Love it and it lasts forever!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Biolite was great! I bought a bag of kindling and carried a gerber myth hatchet in my tools, only about 1lb. Easy to make smaller pieces for the stove. Very nice to have the battery generator built into the stove I must say.

I used one of my drybags for a bear bag and had a bit of rope with me for the tree. There were some young loud campers across from me who didn't bear proof their site very well so I felt fine from a safety perspective ;)

Sorry for the delay, finally got around to adding a google album for my trip.
Not much from the second day as it was all road from Oastler, through DT Parry Sound, and up the old highway through Nobel, and along 559. That was much more a bike tour leg than bike packing.

https://goo.gl/photos/mJSqEjwGgEFqe2m3A

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Muskoka Loop:

Did this loop Monday Tuesday ~64K. Crazy hot and lots of long, gnarly climbs going north. They are called roads but really ATV Jeep trails for the most part. Big Wind Lake Rd, Old Wagon Rd, Echo Lake Rd, South Ril Lake Rd, Hindon Forest Access Rd, Black River Rd....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XGda7GaKTreCjFbq8

101 - 116 of 116 Posts