Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Algonquin Park Gate to Gate to Forest Lea trails parking

Just finished up the Algonquin Park "GATE TO GATE" rail bed from Kiosk to Achray and then through to the Forest Lea Trails, as an overnighter on the weekend. Was a beautiful ride. Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/754395865
150km in total. Super rideable but super illegal too. It is trespassing the entire way. about 70% is easily rideable whereas the other 30% is loose/washboard style rail bed. Some pics are posted here: https://www.facebook.com/Cameron-Dube-572393109497410/?fref=ts
Blog post to come. Check out Pedal Push Endure.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Since there has been talk about bikepacking routes in Ontario I thought I'd share another idea(more like a dream lol) of a backcountry route. The Severn River Conservation Preserve is the huge area South-West of Gravenhurst going all the way down into Severn Township North of Orillia. The trail starts a with a mix of bedrock and dirt ATV trail in the woods but after 5km it opens up into large areas of bedrock connected by short trails through clumps of trees. You will think you're in Torrance as it is that similar. So the idea is to connect these trails together from the end of New Brailey Line all the up to Torrence Barrens. This would be around 30km as the crow flies from start to possible river crossings to Torrence. From there you can jump onto BlackCanoeDogs' route adding to the distance. I hope to get a free weekend soon to get way farther out there with a GPS but thought I'd share this incase anyone else has the adventure bug biting them.

Area

View attachment 1100829

What the terrain is like going in the first few Kms

View attachment 1100831

View attachment 1100832

View attachment 1100838

View attachment 1100839

View attachment 1100833

And then it opens up to bedrock

View attachment 1100834

View attachment 1100835

View attachment 1100836

View attachment 1100837
VERY intersesting!!! I hope you continue to explore this and please keep us posted! Would be fantastic if you found a passable way through her to the Barrens!! I have canoe tripped the Severn River Preserve in the past and in a week of tripping only saw 2 people!! ...a man and his young son who dropped in with their float plane to do some fishing for an afternoon! There is no road access whatsoever, so float plane or canoe/portage are the only access ...although I have also heard of an ATV trail existing.

Pics...
https://goo.gl/photos/aA2y58iNUBMnYQJx7

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just finished up the Algonquin Park "GATE TO GATE" rail bed from Kiosk to Achray and then through to the Forest Lea Trails, as an overnighter on the weekend. Was a beautiful ride. Route: https://www.strava.com/activities/754395865
150km in total. Super rideable but super illegal too. It is trespassing the entire way. about 70% is easily rideable whereas the other 30% is loose/washboard style rail bed. Some pics are posted here: https://www.facebook.com/Cameron-Dube-572393109497410/?fref=ts
Blog post to come. Check out Pedal Push Endure.
Too bad they wouldn't open that railbed. I know it's been discussed before. ;)

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I may do some exploring of the Cloyne to Coe Hill trails this summer, but I read an account of a trip by trail motorcycle on some dirtbike forum that sounded like it is a tough slog at best.

Hopefully some of these trails could be developed for bikepacking excursions. If I get out that way, I'll report on trail conditions.
Did you ever get out to check those trails out? I know of 2 routes that you're talking about.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Too bad they wouldn't open that railbed. I know it's been discussed before. ;)
Renfrew County had open houses in Oct./Nov., Ottawa Valley Recreation Trail Update :: County of Renfrew
Lanark County is holding open house meetings in Jan./Feb. Bridge inventory and condition rating has been done, I think portions of the trail may be open this year.

EDIT: Oops, I was discussing the wrong rail bed! The open houses are for the CP railbed that goes north from Carlton Place to Arnprior and Renfrew and then west along 17 to Mattawa. Sorry!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm curious what others do too b/c this was a stumbling block in my equipment planning. I liked the gravity fed filters with 4 litre bags but then I had to either throw in chemical tablets or use a UV light for 500ml at a time for the smallest parasites. It's too bad there isn't a UV chamber for the gravity filter options. If you don't want to use chem tablets is UV the only option out there?

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
What do you guys do for water purification?
I take along the same PUR filter/pump that we have used on canoe trips for years. It is now sold as "Katadyn Hiker Pro"
There are many similar on the market, MSR has come out with a teeny weeny one called "Trailshot".
My tripping and bikepacking is typically in Muskoka and north so often we just boil water if its for cooking/coffee etc.
Never been ill as a result.

·
Team NFI
5,303 Posts
I take along the same PUR filter/pump that we have used on canoe trips for years. It is now sold as "Katadyn Hiker Pro"
There are many similar on the market, MSR has come out with a teeny weeny one called "Trailshot".
My tripping and bikepacking is typically in Muskoka and north so often we just boil water if its for cooking/coffee etc.
Never been ill as a result.
Just spotted a review for the MSR Trailshot.

MSR TrailShot Review, Hell or No Water - BIKEPACKING.com

While not bikepacking have been starting to think about as have been going ad explorin tracks further north. Last year on one of those rides was getting low on water. In BC this would not be an issue as I know all the areas I rode where to get water....most mountain creeks I used where glacier fed. So drinking was never a problem from them.

·
Muskoka
3,473 Posts
Just spotted a review for the MSR Trailshot.

MSR TrailShot Review, Hell or No Water - BIKEPACKING.com

While not bikepacking have been starting to think about as have been going ad explorin tracks further north. Last year on one of those rides was getting low on water. In BC this would not be an issue as I know all the areas I rode where to get water....most mountain creeks I used where glacier fed. So drinking was never a problem from them.
Shouldn't be a problem doing the same here. I have often grabbed a cup or bottle of unfiltered water out of a lake or stream. Use common sense and evaluate the location and you should be fine. Wise to always travel with a filter however.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Potential 290km trip for 2017

Hey y'all! Just discovered this thread thanks to @LanarkCycling on Twitter.

I am the author of these two articles
Discover bikepacking in Ontario
Bikepacking from Kingston to Ottawa? - Rideau Trail Association | Rideau Trail Association

I also worked for Parks Canada (Rideau Canal & other places) for five years, ride a dualsport motorcycle, am a board member of the Rideau Trail Association and am active on the Ottawa Valley Bikepacking Collective Facebook group.

So I'll weigh in on three things for this thread!

1. HANGING FOOD - I like the PCT bear hang method explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75FGeKrhMM

You need a carabiner and a stick. Easy to undo in the morning. No fussing with knots around trees.

2. WATER FILTRATION - I like the Platypus gravity filter. They have 2L and 4L options but the filter is the same for both. Easy to use. Good for small groups.

3. SUMMER 2017 - I'm planning a ~290km 3-5 day ride from Sharbot Lake (or Lavant Station) along the K&P to North Frontenac Park Lands/Arcol Road to Mountain Chute Dam (there might be some single track options on this section too). From there, I'd more or less follow hydroline on Crown Land until the MP9 multi-use trail which connects with the TCT that heads east to Sharbot Lake. The entire route map is on EOTA's www.thetrail.ca and there would be some rugged parts. Would anyone be interested in this?

The itinerary would look something like this (starting @ Sharbot Lake):
Day 1 - 76km to Norcan Lake
Day 2 - 75km to Little Mink Lake
Day 3 - 75km to stealth camp somewhere near Hwy 7 (resupply detour option at the Foodland in Northbrook + the Truly Canadian chip stand on Hwy 7)
Day 4 - 60km to Sharbot Lake

I've started a thread about it on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184803891886666/permalink/388360424864344/

Screen grab of the area (basically, the main purple areas):
Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 11.48.56 PM.jpg

·
Registered
890 Posts
paulmsg thanks for posting up, great information thanks for posting up! My own plans are evolve around a trip from Ottawa to Toronto this summer but always good to know about trail options in the area.

Re: platypus sounds like you dont use anything for the smaller stuff that gets through the filter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: platypus sounds like you dont use anything for the smaller stuff that gets through the filter?
So far no. Been using the Platypus filter since 2013 and no complaints. I have though about replacing the playtpus with a cloth + Pristine drops which would be lighter and get rid of viruses. Have considered the Steripen too.

The only time I *may* have gotten sick was after filtering water from the Rideau River in Smiths Falls. Randomly puked once almost 48 hours later. That's it. But I also was also starting a severe poison ivy reaction from that same ride which also might have caused the nausea.

My only issue with the Platypus is remembering to backflush the filter but this is easy to do and common with lots of filters of that style.

Cheers!

·
Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
323 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Summer 2017

Good evening,

I am quite interested in doing a few multi-day trips this summer. Do you want some company?

We should chat as I'm located in Aurora, ON.

cheers,

jamie

QUOTE=paulmsg;13048060]Hey y'all! Just discovered this thread thanks to @LanarkCycling on Twitter.

I am the author of these two articles
Discover bikepacking in Ontario
Bikepacking from Kingston to Ottawa? - Rideau Trail Association | Rideau Trail Association

I also worked for Parks Canada (Rideau Canal & other places) for five years, ride a dualsport motorcycle, am a board member of the Rideau Trail Association and am active on the Ottawa Valley Bikepacking Collective Facebook group.

So I'll weigh in on three things for this thread!

1. HANGING FOOD - I like the PCT bear hang method explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75FGeKrhMM

You need a carabiner and a stick. Easy to undo in the morning. No fussing with knots around trees.

2. WATER FILTRATION - I like the Platypus gravity filter. They have 2L and 4L options but the filter is the same for both. Easy to use. Good for small groups.

3. SUMMER 2017 - I'm planning a ~290km 3-5 day ride from Sharbot Lake (or Lavant Station) along the K&P to North Frontenac Park Lands/Arcol Road to Mountain Chute Dam (there might be some single track options on this section too). From there, I'd more or less follow hydroline on Crown Land until the MP9 multi-use trail which connects with the TCT that heads east to Sharbot Lake. The entire route map is on EOTA's www.thetrail.ca and there would be some rugged parts. Would anyone be interested in this?

The itinerary would look something like this (starting @ Sharbot Lake):
Day 1 - 76km to Norcan Lake
Day 2 - 75km to Little Mink Lake
Day 3 - 75km to stealth camp somewhere near Hwy 7 (resupply detour option at the Foodland in Northbrook + the Truly Canadian chip stand on Hwy 7)
Day 4 - 60km to Sharbot Lake

I've started a thread about it on Facebook here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184803891886666/permalink/388360424864344/

Screen grab of the area (basically, the main purple areas):
View attachment 1122507 [/QUOTE]

81 - 100 of 116 Posts