Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 226 Posts

·
dirtbag
1,527 Posts
Going through the multiple threads here and I don't see one that has a comprehensive list of current bikepacking gear bag manufacturers. I've accumulated some bags from one source but have since found other places that offer them. So, in no particular order, here are some places that offer off-the-rack and custom frame and gear bags for your bikepacking rig.

Hope this helps for those looking into riding into the . Please add to the list as these are the ones I have come across so far.

Revelate Designs LLC
Anchorage Alaska and Springfield Oregon

Cleaveland Mountaineering
Grand Junction, CO

Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket
Calgary, Alberta

Wildcat Gear
Wales, UK

Phantom Pack Systems
Canada

Bike Pack
Poland

Bed Rock Bags
Colorado

Bike-Bag
UK

Bolder Bikepacking Gear
Boulder, CO

J.PAKS_Adventure Cycling Frame Bags
Denver, CO

Barking Bear Bagworks, [email protected]
Conway, MI

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks
El Paso, TX

OVEJA NEGRA threadworks
Salida, CO

Alpkit
UK

SpoK Werks
Switzerland

Jandd Frame Packs
San Diego, CA

Bike Bag Dude Custom Frame Bags
Mt Hutton, NSW, Australia

Wanderlust Bikepacking Gear and Fatbike Pogies
Missoula, MT

Rogue Panda Designs
Flagstaff, AZ

Apidura
London, England

Andrew the Maker
Kansas City, Missouri

Stealth Bike Bags
Wellington, New Zealand

RockGeist
Winston-Salem, NC

Frost River
Duluth, MN

Stashers
USA

Ortlieb
International

Arkel
International

Endless Trails Outdoor Equipment
Sweden

Backcountry Stitchworks
Alaska, USA

Alpamayo Designs
UK

Becker Gear

Road Runner Bags
California, USA

Cedaero
MN, USA

WOHOBIKE

Sturdy Bags Design
Twin Cities, MN

·
Registered
333 Posts
Carousel - I'm not sure I would include them anymore. Too many horror stories on that company.

Revelate Designs - I don't think Eric make's custom frame bags anymore, but makes high quality "off-the-rack" bags and accessories.

Woody

·
3 Legged Big Top
639 Posts
Carousel - I'm not sure I would include them anymore. Too many horror stories on that company.
There is a lot of bad rep out there for Carousel right now. Hope they can get things corrected and get back on track if that's their hope.

There are a few individuals out there making quality gear on a smaller scale. They will build custom gear at reasonable prices.

Curtis

·
A guy on a bike
995 Posts
Woody
I don't think that it's fair to take Carousel off the list because some people have had bad experiences. A lot of people have had good experiences as well. But the level of service isn't really the issue--it's whether they sell bags, which they do. The decision to buy from them or not should be based on reviews, word-of-mouth, etc.--not because they don't appear in a listing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think that it's fair to take Carousel off the list because some people have had bad experiences. A lot of people have had good experiences as well. But the level of service isn't really the issue--it's whether they sell bags, which they do. The decision to buy from them or not should be based on reviews, word-of-mouth, etc.--not because they don't appear in a listing.
That's fair enough.

Maybe we need a sticky on gear review.

Woody

·
Cumbria, England.
353 Posts
Bikepack - Based in Poland.

I've been very happy with mine. Prices are spot on plus no import tax for anyone living in Europe!

·
Registered
14,380 Posts

My Porcelain Rocket bags for my Surly Pugsley...very nicely made...:thumbsup:

I'm getting another custom frame bag for my 29er MTB so I can use the seat & bar bags with that bike as well depending how fat a tire I want to run.

Custom Bicycle Bags from Porcelain Rocket

I'm not sure who else is making custom bags these days? Given the cost it's nice to get a bag that fits my frame perfectly and in the fabric I want.

He also made these custom bags for my Surly Big Dummy and Santa Cruz Nomad.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm not sure who else is making custom bags these days?
I made my own kit and they're A LOT of work. Not only that but the cost of X-Pac has almost doubled this past month. I'm not surprised that there aren't a bunch of people wanting to jump into the market. Seems like the only real way to make it profitable is to stick to a particular frame line, stamp out all the fabric pieces and make them assembly line style.

I made one for my Salsa Fargo (medium) and love it. The learning curve was quick for me though because I have a small side business that involves sewing, so I have the equipment and the skills (The Kozie Canine - Handmade Collars, Harnesses & Leashes). If someone REALLY wants a frame bag for a Medium Salsa Fargo I could be persuaded to build one (since I have the template built already and know it's a perfect fit) but beyond that, it's just too much work.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I made my own kit
Great looking bags! I particularly like the one made from pirated Tyvek bags from the USPS. You could play that one off as team issue. I recently stitched together my own teeny-tiny frame bag for a new Salsa Vaya. I wanted something small enough to just hold a cable-lock, a spare $20, and a couple of Gu packets. It turned out even better than I had hoped. I'm now going to make one for my wife's bike that will be a little larger. Not everyone is a DIYer, but if you can build stuff then the best way to get the bag you want is to just make it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,380 Posts

My Porcelain Rocket bags for my Surly Pugsley...very nicely made...:thumbsup:

I'm getting another custom frame bag for my 29er MTB so I can use the seat & bar bags with that bike as well depending how fat a tire I want to run.

I repurposed my Pugsley's Porcelain Rocket bags to my 29er so I could go on an overnight ride this week. The bags were rock solid even when I did some stupid human tricks and crashed...:eekster: I'm getting a frame bag for the 29er that will fit properly, but the Pugsley bag did okay even though I had to jam it in a bit...;)

It's nice to have a luggage system for my bikes that I can ride hard without having to think about my gear. Definitely an improvement over bikepacking with racks and panniers...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Great looking bags! I particularly like the one made from pirated Tyvek bags from the USPS. You could play that one off as team issue. I recently stitched together my own teeny-tiny frame bag for a new Salsa Vaya.
Excellent work! Perfect fit and you can tell it was well made. I'm going to be making something similar for my Chili Con Crosso.

Does the velcro on the exterior have a function or was it just for aesthetics? Looks great either way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really would like to have one of those seat bags for my commute. The Porcelain Rocket by far is the most appealing. My backpack is really a pain since I always carry stuff which includes two heavy Kryptonite bike locks. I think if the seat bag can be customized to have an option for shoulder strap which resembles of a messenger bag then I would definitely have one of these.

1 - 20 of 226 Posts