Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
How much further ???
2,371 Posts
Im no bikepacker but I couldnt imagine pulling that thing through the AZT.

·
1,442 Posts
Baby steps... baby steps... baby steps... hah love that move...

but seriously what about trailers ? too heavy ? ok for just fire roads ?

BOB makes some nice looking ones.

Amazon.com: BOB Ibex Plus Suspension Trailer with Drysak: Sports & Outdoors
Weight comes to mind first as the biggest drawback. And then the fact that you are limited to where you can go. I'd like to see someone drag that up Ripsey.

For that money you could outfit yourself with a full set of Revelate gear - which would weigh a fraction of what one of those weighs and could carry all you need.

gas tank - 55
jerry can - 38
sweet roll - 100
viscacha - 130
Total - 323

With that set up and a backpack you are ready for anything. People do the AZT750 with less.

I can't see the need for something like a bob unless you are bringing a TV with you.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I did a 4 day trip through the San Juans with a BOB trailer and it was brutal! I think we did 4 passes the last one being Imogene. The top 2 miles was a hike and push death march. Having weight like that off the back is really hard. They would be cool for a mostly road tour, dirt roads are ok but I wouldn't want to climb up over rugged and steep mountain passes like that ever again!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah I can't imagine climbing uphill with that thing even on a decently graded forest road. There are plenty of other forest roads that are torn up and would make your life a living hell if you had to ride with that attached. If you're bikepacking, you shouldn't need to take THAT much stuff. Jeff nailed it right on with a full Revelate (or similar) setup. You'd be surprised how little you need in the backcountry. :)

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
You've clearly never pulled a BOB, trailer, trail-a-bike, ridden a loaded bike. This is one serious effing dumbass idea, dumbest i've heard since paying $250 to ride in circles and wait in line to piss.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
You've clearly never pulled a BOB, trailer, trail-a-bike, ridden a loaded bike. This is one serious effing dumbass idea, dumbest i've heard since paying $250 to ride in circles and wait in line to piss.
I've ridden a loaded bike before so you're clearly wrong... Never ridden a trailer aside from pulling my daughter in a kiddie trailer. This is why I ask the question.

I would appreciate if you worded you responses to me with less condescending tone... You make yourself sound like a mean person ... and you probably are not that.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I know a couple people that like Bob trailers but I'm not sold. Often times when they encounter deadfall on the trail, anything but the smallest trees, they have to disconnect the trailer to get it over. And yeah hiking a bike+trailer up something steep and rocky would suck. I have never found any issue with a typical bar/frame/seat bag setup. You can even get most or all weight off your back if you set things up right. The trailer would allow you to carry more supplies if you are doing a trip with long sections between re-supply. But generally I find the less you *can* carry, the less you *will* carry, and normally you don't need that extra stuff anyways.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have a Bob trailer that I use for trail work when I am hauling tools. Other than that, they are too heavy and have a severe negative effect on bike handling. Oh, and the trailer likes to leap and flail about on even the slightest rough spot in the trail, slows you way down even on descents.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
I've ridden a loaded bike before so you're clearly wrong... Never ridden a trailer aside from pulling my daughter in a kiddie trailer. This is why I ask the question.

I would appreciate if you worded you responses to me with less condescending tone... You make yourself sound like a mean person ... and you probably are not that.
sorry, my bad. How bout this: Sir, being that you've never once, EVER, seen a trip report of a bikepack involving a BOB trailer, EVER, it is either completely ill-advised OR you may have captured lightning in the bottle!!!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
sorry, my bad. How bout this: Sir, being that you've never once, EVER, seen a trip report of a bikepack involving a BOB trailer, EVER, it is either completely ill-advised OR you may have captured lightning in the bottle!!!
Come on now, CB. What if Ben and Jerry stopped a vanilla and chocolate, the Earl of Sandwich stopped at L and T, Dogfish Head stopped at 60 minutes. We need trailblazers! I say let MtbAZ44 give it shot.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Come on now, CB. What if Ben and Jerry stopped a vanilla and chocolate, the Earl of Sandwich stopped at L and T, Dogfish Head stopped at 60 minutes. We need trailblazers! I say let MtbAZ44 give it shot.
you had me at bacon

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts