Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Dont use any kind of pressure. I will typically use diluted simple green, spray the bike down, scrub the needed areas and then use the hose and MIST everything off, then wipe down with a towel.

Remember that cleaners like Simple green are also degreasers, so dont forget to regrease (oil) the essential parts.

Simple green is safe for the environment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
i just wet a rag and go over the frame. and then a dry rag rag to dry. my bike is just mostly dusty tho it hardly rains here to get muddy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Cold weather washing

So lately ive had some problems washing mud off my bike after a nasty trail ride, mainly because of the cold. As you all know turning on the hose for any reason during the winter is a bad idea because the pipes will freeze over night or what ever.

So what did i do? I filled up a bucket with warm water from the faucet and it literally only took me 5 minutes with a long bristled brush to completely remove the caked on frozen mud. I swear, warm water cut through the mud like a hot knife through butter. And afterwards my bike looked sweet all steaming and dripping wet in the cold night air.

Try it out.:thumbsup:
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Don't wash your bike...

That's the best answer for the environment.

I rarely wash my bike. I clean my drive train as required. Simple Green, water and a brush.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
ADDam said:
Dont use any kind of pressure. I will typically use diluted simple green, spray the bike down, scrub the needed areas and then use the hose and MIST everything off, then wipe down with a towel.

Remember that cleaners like Simple green are also degreasers, so dont forget to regrease (oil) the essential parts.

Simple green is safe for the environment.
Ok, so the areas that need to be scrubbed are the derailleurs, chain, crank, and cogs? and then only the chain needs to be relubed correct?
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
And...

six foot sloth said:
Ok, so the areas that need to be scrubbed are the derailleurs, chain, crank, and cogs? and then only the chain needs to be relubed correct?
Chain and any pivot points (bearings, bushings, etc) on the bike frame and both derailers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Do you need to lube the wheel bearings/axle (if that is the correct term for it) after washing? I am trying to learn basic maintenance and have been reading articles on the Internet and youtube videos. I always see lots of videos on cleaning and lubing chain and derailleurs but other parts not so much. If someone can post some links, I'll continue reading. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts
What i do is about once a year re-pack all bearings. Mine are all cartridge so its easy, no axle/cone/bearing adjustments. Did the same when I had cone/cup bearings. maybe once month or so pulled wheels off and spun them in my hands to "feel" the bearings that they are not too tight/too loose/ Can just grab the tire and pul it back and forth perpendicular to hte bike to feel if the are loose, also. Good luck with that!!
 

·
Bushwacker
Joined
·
465 Posts
ACSN said:
Do you need to lube the wheel bearings/axle (if that is the correct term for it) after washing? I am trying to learn basic maintenance and have been reading articles on the Internet and youtube videos. I always see lots of videos on cleaning and lubing chain and derailleurs but other parts not so much. If someone can post some links, I'll continue reading. Thanks.
Not after washing but once a year, pull the axles and inspect the bearings and relube or replace them. Also, pull the cassette off and inspect it, and the freehub, for wear/excess play. Google how to do the above. Easy to do and just a few inexpensive tools needed, i.e. chain whip, cone wrench and cassette removal socket.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
teders said:
So lately ive had some problems washing mud off my bike after a nasty trail ride, mainly because of the cold. As you all know turning on the hose for any reason during the winter is a bad idea because the pipes will freeze over night or what ever.

So what did i do? I filled up a bucket with warm water from the faucet and it literally only took me 5 minutes with a long bristled brush to completely remove the caked on frozen mud. I swear, warm water cut through the mud like a hot knife through butter. And afterwards my bike looked sweet all steaming and dripping wet in the cold night air.

Try it out.:thumbsup:
I have done this as well. I used a hot bucket for the first rinse and a cold bucket after I had done the scrubbing. You have to be careful, the hot water will take the grease away from the chain, etc.
 

·
I like mud
Joined
·
290 Posts
I do something you supposedly shouldn't do. I use a pressure washer. I avoid my suspension and hubs but I spray the hell out of the frame, the tires, the drivetrain, seat (especially under it) and I don't have any problems.

Of course it's not wise to use a pressure washer. But to be honest...I don't care. I need my bike clean and don't live in an area where I have access to a hose...just a car wash.

I get my bike regularly serviced. I haven't had any issues.

So don't pressure wash your bike like I do, unless you're really careful like I am, and unless you don't care if you ruin some parts. Like I don't. haha
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top