Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any issue with water entering the stays and other hollow parts of the frame?

I noticed today when i fliped the bike upside down to look at something that some water came out of the stays - which are square[ish] and have holes at the top. I just washed it yester day (using a light spray from a garden hose).

The frame is aluminum so its not going to rust, but I didnt know if the water could travel to oher parts of the bike through the frame and cause issues.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
If your getting water inside the frame thats not a good thing should seal the holes when washing. Most common place to get water is through the seat tube area down to the BB. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
jbsmith said:
The frame is aluminum so its not going to rust, but I didnt know if the water could travel to oher parts of the bike through the frame and cause issues.
Whether or not water can migrate from chain/seat stays to other parts of the bike is frame dependent. One of the areas that you want to keep water out of is the BB shell. The BB shell often has an opening from the seat tube and its certainly possible (on some bikes) that water could find its way from a stay to the seat tube. Bottom bracket cartridges (or external bearing cups) have some degree of protection from water entering from this avenue, but if you get enough water in your seat tube, it's certainly possible that water will find its way into the bearings anyway.

The other way to get water into the seat tube is from spraying near the seat tube clamp area. There's often a little slot that will allow water to enter.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KevinB said:
Whether or not water can migrate from chain/seat stays to other parts of the bike is frame dependent. One of the areas that you want to keep water out of is the BB shell. The BB shell often has an opening from the seat tube and its certainly possible (on some bikes) that water could find its way from a stay to the seat tube. Bottom bracket cartridges (or external bearing cups) have some degree of protection from water entering from this avenue, but if you get enough water in your seat tube, it's certainly possible that water will find its way into the bearings anyway.

The other way to get water into the seat tube is from spraying near the seat tube clamp area. There's often a little slot that will allow water to enter.
I am pretty sure (without going to the garage to look a the bike) that I can't get water into the BB from the stays. I say this is because it is a Trek EX8 FS...and the stays are not connected to the main triangle - at least not in a way that water could travel thorugh them.

The water came out of the seat stays which has holes at the top of them. I guess I shouldnt use the hose directly on the bike - just the wet wash rag.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Frame tube junctions all have vent holes in them to clear welding or brazing gases. Chainstays and seatstays do for the same reason. If you want to protect your frame (not an issue with aluminum) from rust buy some frame saver. You often get some water where it shouldn't be when you wash the bike. So it goes.

Drew

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
BB water...

you can drill a small hole with juggle valve to relieve the water that gets in there, or you can remove the saddle and seat tube, turn the bike upside down, and drain it that way.

the rest of the bike is aluminium, no worries.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts