Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. The family and i are spending a week in Montrose. July long.

we were there last year and rode RAT trails and Telluride.

could anyone please help me to plan some day rides of their favorite trails. Hopefully this would include some family sightseeing for the non riders.

Im 50 have no problem with 20 mile rides. Would be joined by my one daughter some of the time. We both can handle some decent technical stuff but are not the downhill bike park types.

my bucket list would be durango area and crested butte. Of course anything close to montrose similar or better than rat.

appreciate it if anyone had experience in the area and could recommend some epic rides!

thanks

·
Registered
2,826 Posts

could anyone please help me to plan some day rides of their favorite trails. Hopefully this would include some family sightseeing for the non riders.

Im 50 have no problem with 20 mile rides. Would be joined by my one daughter some of the time. We both can handle some decent technical stuff but are not the downhill bike park types.

my bucket list would be durango area and crested butte. Of course anything close to montrose similar or better than rat.

appreciate it if anyone had experience in the area and could recommend some epic rides!

thanks
Go up to Grand Mesa, assuming the snow has melted by July. There is still a ton of snow up there right now, but at some point in July the trails should thaw.

https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8014055/grand-mesa

·
Banned
2,625 Posts

thanks
Definatley ride "The Whole Uncolada" which starts at high elevation and finishes at the Buzzard Gulch trailhead. It can be shuttled. The Lower Spring Creek section is amazing and 6 miles of almost all DH-Flow.

You can also ride Sidewinder which is a Techy Black trail over in Olathe-Delta which is tons of fun.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Definatley ride "The Whole Uncolada" which starts at high elevation and finishes at the Buzzard Gulch trailhead. It can be shuttled. The Lower Spring Creek section is amazing and 6 miles of almost all DH-Flow.

You can also ride Sidewinder which is a Techy Black trail over in Olathe-Delta which is tons of fun.
^^THIS^^ It was closed by early season snow when I was there last but I rode Lower Spring Creek and its was a blast. To ride it as a loop though, you'll need to climb 6 miles of easy gravel road before you drop in. Once you do, it was sooo much fun. It's also a HAB out. Based on what you said you're looking for, Sidewinder is too much for your daughter.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whats a hab out?
I looked at the whole uncolada last year and was hyped to do it but was by myself. So thought better of it. Also isnt most of it quad and motorbike trails?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridgeway area trails today. Big cheese and a few loops on rattical. That was fun. The locals here sure rip! Rains came in just as we finished coming down big cheese. Trail turned to slick snot just after. Its a good area to train on.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was crested butte today. Nice drive out from montrose. Very pretty area. Took my other daughter who is less advanced and another new rider on his first real mtb ride. We kept it simple and did the basic loop just outside town. Lupine and upper lower loop. But starting from downtown wasnt much fun. Wasnt sure where to do the drop offs. In spite of all that climbing, they had fun! Have to say Dads legs are getting a bit fried. After three solid days! Sidewinder is on the list!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ran another pass on lower spring creek. That is a fun trail. Enough consequence to keep you focused and enough flow to make you smile from ear to ear. There are a couple small climbs that are challenging too. Great trail to have in your back yard.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Montrose and area was great. Finished with Buck today. Weather fantastic. I completed a little over 60 miles this week, all at more than double my regular altitude. No injuries and no breakdowns. Introduced two new riders to the sport. All in all, Id call things a great success!

See you next time!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.