Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
外国人
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, stupid question I know because DH/FR bikes should be used outside in the gnarly stuff.

but...broke my clavicle last week and i'm getting antsy not being able to ride my bike :( and i won't be able to use my left arm for quite some time so i thought of getting a trainer and putting my dh bike there (my only bike) and then pedal away, at least i still get some exercise :)

any advice on what brand/model bike trainer i should get? do they have load ratings?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd think that with all the squish of a dh bike and the poor seat heights and angles for pedaling that it wouldn't be very fun or enjoyable at all. The bike would bob all over the place and you'd never get a decent enough saddle position to make anything more than 20 minutes on the thing worthwhile.

If you want to do training, get a really cheap road bike off of ebay or craigslist or a $100 hardtail from Toys R' Us. The stiff frame alone would make the first trainer workout you did on it so much more effective than doing multiple trainer sessions on a dh bike. Oh, and set up some video games and play while you spin... 2 hours on a trainer 3-4 days a week gets really boring after a while.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you're going to get a trainer get some rollers, check them out if you don't know what they are. Instead of just locking the bike in, you have to balance it on a set of rollers. I've never used them, but they should be a lot more entertaining then essentially turning your bike into a stationary. You'll work a lot more muscles, and improve your balance.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
nautilus said:
If you're going to get a trainer get some rollers, check them out if you don't know what they are. Instead of just locking the bike in, you have to balance it on a set of rollers. I've never used them, but they should be a lot more entertaining then essentially turning your bike into a stationary. You'll work a lot more muscles, and improve your balance.

And he'll crash just as soon as the bike compresses then rebounds and pops off the rollers for just that split second. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
341 Posts
He already has a broken clavicle,I don't think rollers are a good idea.006 007 is right about the youtube thing.
I have the Minura rim drive and it is great. Just set your preload high enough to stob the pedal bob. It is not the perfect setup, but better than nothing.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Wrench Monkey said:
I went out to the garage to see if my DH bike fits on my trainer. No go. The Maxle handle does not fit,and the other end of the axle is too small.
That's exactly the point i was going to bring up. The Kurt Kinetic is super sturdy, but it requires use of a quick release skewer for mounting - which many real DH bikes don't have.

·
addict
347 Posts
rkj__ said:
That's exactly the point i was going to bring up. The Kurt Kinetic is super sturdy, but it requires use of a quick release skewer for mounting - which many real DH bikes don't have.

Thanks Wrench Monkey and rkj_, I overlooked that somewhat important point. I was using my trail bike with rear QR.

·
Registered
646 Posts
rollers are a blast when your bored and lazy

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45568508">ghetto dyno</a><br/>

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
Youtube videos of rollers are no fun unless there is mayhem and hilarity. A guy yelling ghetto dyno is funny, but just doesn't cut it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts