Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's today in Denver and I happened to catch the news on my way out of the house. For the traffic report, all they could talk about was the welcome relief from the usual congestion. There was no mention of the joys of bicycle commuting or anything, just "Well, it should be an improved commute today, with an expected 20,000 people riding bikes, the roads should really clear up for your morning drive.":madman:

Doesn't it seem like they're missing the point here? They were reporting it as if the bikers were the crazy ones....like the same way they'd talk about the Polar Bear's Club new years day swim or something. It irked me a lot. If that's the general sentiment toward biking, it's no wonder I work with people that live under 2 miles away from the office and drive EVERY day. I'm the BTWD coordinator for our office and every year it's a struggle to convince people to ride even one day out of the year. More than anything I guess it just makes me a little sad. Oh well, it's their loss. While they fester in traffic, I get a breeze in my smiling face. Now who's the crazy one?

On a positive note, I'm taking the day off tomorrow for the higher purpose of a Buffalo Creek epic...I can't wait.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,152 Posts
Isn't it amazing how with a simple choice in grammar and wording the news can put any kind of subliminal "spin" on any story the report to convey any message they want? That's why I don't watch the news anymore. Ends up just pissing me off.

Anyway, that is sad, and I can't agree more with your "beating head against wall" emoticon... They had the potential to really support alternate means of transportation with hard evidence to prove the point. What a shame.

BM
 

·
Your Customer Sales Rep
Joined
·
650 Posts
I hate June, bike to work month here in Vancouver, and I ride to work pretty much every day of the year, rain or shine. Wobbly, blind, lacking-in-etiquette, riding-in-birkenstock-and-socks crowd show up on the roads and bike paths to ride to work a couple of days, making their contribution to "saving the planet". Last year, I rear-ended some guy who suddenly slammed his brakes on in the middle of a descent portion on a 3-foot wide bridge-crossing. The force of the collision snapped one of my brake cables, but nobody was hurt - he then ragged on me for kocking his rear wheel out of true. Also, in Vancouver you can tell the posers - they're the ones who inform you that you are riding on the wrong side of the Second Narrows Bridge (the bridge bike path is only 3 feet wide, but the city planners in their wisdom designated it 2-way because crossing the bridge means crossing 6 lanes of highway traffic). After 8 years of bike commuting, I pretty much know who the commuters are who the posers are on my route. OK - so I'm a bike commuter snob. D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha...that's funny. In Denver, the posers seem to wrap themselves in as much spandex as they can find. Pop on a pair of Brikos and one of those penis top brim hats and you got yourself a winner.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Try St. Louis on for size. Two years ago on Nat'l BTW day I rode my bike to school just like I do every day during the spring and summer. This time I get sideswipped by a woman running a red light that said "i did not expect to see a bicycle here".

Totaled bike, day in the hospital, cuts gallor, and 2 mos. neck rehab. Happy f'n BTWD!

Did she get a ticket? Nope. The report just said "inattention". The insurance company certainly paid for it all but what a waste of my time and emotion. As much as I hate to admit it, I no longer commute in St. Louis and don't blame others for resisiting.
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
Lucky 7 said:
It's today in Denver and I happened to catch the news on my way out of the house. For the traffic report, all they could talk about was the welcome relief from the usual congestion. There was no mention of the joys of bicycle commuting or anything, just "Well, it should be an improved commute today, with an expected 20,000 people riding bikes, the roads should really clear up for your morning drive.":madman:
I'll beg to differ with you - 9 news was on this am while my wife and I were getting ready to ride to work, and they made frequent mention of their traffic copter gal riding to work, and they had updates from the sports gal who was riding to work on the Cherry Creek path, who was obviously having a lot of fun. They highlighted items people need for commuting.
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
I saw a lot more people riding to work today. Which is good, I guess, maybe a few will ride in tomorrow. I traded my 25mi commute for a 4mi commute. Much, much better :).



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, at least somebody was giving it some respect. 4, 7, and 31 were all the same sarcastic boat when I saw them around 7:30. Maybe it's just because I happened to catch it right during the traffic report. There IS less traffic, so I suppose they'll report it that way.

BTWD = strangest day of the year to commute

I saw a lady in a zebra stripe spandex one-sie today. :skep:
 

·
contains quinine
Joined
·
4,639 Posts
jl said:
I saw a lot more people riding to work today. Which is good, I guess, maybe a few will ride in tomorrow. I traded my 25mi commute for a 4mi commute. Much, much better :).
Get in the bike lane, biker!

Nice lugs.
 

·
climb
Joined
·
2,293 Posts
Meat Foot said:
Agree. jl, is that a Rivendell? If not, still very nice lugs and color scheme.
Rambouillet--first batch.

Debaser said:
Get in the bike lane, biker!
What bike lane?

Anyway, today was pretty much SNIDI for most of the BTWD participants (Situation Normal I Drove In)...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I always get the crazy look when i ride to school,
"why'd you bring your bike to school need to fix it?" (i go to votech)
" No i rode it here"
"Why, bus didn't come?"
"no felt like riding today"
"i don't get it, how far"
"only 4 miles"
"4 miles! what! your insane"
They walk away laughing, and so do I
 

·
Art is Resistance
Joined
·
10,375 Posts
Crockpot2001 said:
Try St. Louis on for size. Two years ago on Nat'l BTW day I rode my bike to school just like I do every day during the spring and summer. This time I get sideswipped by a woman running a red light that said "i did not expect to see a bicycle here".

Totaled bike, day in the hospital, cuts gallor, and 2 mos. neck rehab. Happy f'n BTWD!

Did she get a ticket? Nope. The report just said "inattention". The insurance company certainly paid for it all but what a waste of my time and emotion. As much as I hate to admit it, I no longer commute in St. Louis and don't blame others for resisiting.
I grew up in STL, and the car scene there SUCKS. Buncha fat, lazy stupid drivers. I commuted there, and it was a stressful, scary situation. I never knew it was supposed to be different until i moved to the Pacific Northwest.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top