Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Snowjnky McDreamy
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will be dead in a few hours but if it gets one person enough stoke to try Bike to work day once then: WHO CARES

I biked to work today. I went from Sorryvale to Campbell To Santana Row to Mountain View and picked up coworkers along the way. We stopped at a few cool south bay spots.
Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar Sculpture Woody plant Memorial Statue Monument Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle Bicycle wheel Tree Jeans Jacket Bicycle tire People Bicycle wheel rim Human body Social group Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Iron Jacket Helmet Metal Bicycle helmet Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Reactions: ronski

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
Looks more like a fun ride than a commute, snowjnky :)

My Bike to Work season opens today, I try to ride in on Thursdays for a while. No photos on the am segment. From home to WC BART>>>Fruitvale Station. I stopped at the BART stations Bike Center for some PSI on my rear tire, then off to the Bayfarm Island Wind Tunnel. My return segment is all bike. Todays route is into Lake Chabot and take Bass Cove/Goldenrod/Jackson Grade/Brandon, exit on to Redwood road and roll on the pavement back to WC. 30 miles.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
I ride to work everyday and anywhere else I go.
It saves a ton of money on not having to pay for gas insurance ect...
I haven't owned a vehicle since July of 2004 and frankly hardly miss it.
If I need a truck I will rent one from time to time.
By the way that's a nice long ride

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
And no work would be found that day!

It looks good. I've been commuting now and then for the past 2 weeks. It's alright, but can do without the close calls. Today was surprisingly smooth.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Its worth it to see some new faces who otherwise wouldn't ride to work or didnt know it was easy. We had 370 folks come to our station on w.grand. Rode to lunch @ 10th and Wood in west Oakland with some co-workers. Days damn near over already. BTWD Happy hour downtown..

·
Registered
751 Posts
whole foods was servin up breakfast burritos at the energizer station in MV--props! seemed like kind of a quiet day on my commute though, I guess the rain forecast didn't help.

·
grinder
189 Posts
business as usual today (which is good). I do a commute combo with bike and caltrain then 2 or 3 times per week ride the full distance home from work. Train was a little more crowded with bikes than usual today but not too much.

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
CalTrain from Morgan Hill to Palo Alto, then across the Dumbarton to work.

Now I'm riding to the Bike From Work party, like 22 miles. If I feel spunky, all the way home, otherwise CalTrain at the Capitol station. 45 miles minimum, maybe about 70 if I ride all the way home.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I counted 154

on my 9 mile commute from downtown Sunnyvale to North San Jose. That's the most I've ever counted. Many were heading north on the Guadalupe River Trail.

Reactions: snowjnky

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Jeez Snowjnky, I had to ride a total of 2.5 miles to get to work today! I am exhausted!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Rode my normal bike commute this morning from Santa Cruz to Scotts Valley. Stopped by The Buttery in Santa Cruz for coffee and pastry. I should have eaten more but I was running late to work.

·
enjoying the scenery
318 Posts
Cut through Lake Chabot on the way home.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
Dang, I thought it was in January??

Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part

Reactions: snowjnky

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I counted 23 today, which is more than the typical 10 to 15.]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bike to Work Day is one day I know I won't be able to ride to work because I coordinate one of the Energizer Stations. It was great to see so many people out on bikes. We had over 100 people more pass by our station that we had last year. Highlight: Having a former U.S. National Team Member, Olympic cyclist, and member of the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame stop by our station and chat. Low light: having a cyclist taken out by a car on the other side of the intersection from our station. Also, far, far too many people out riding without wearing a helmet.

Snowjnky, did you stop for banana shakes at the falafel drive through? YUM!!!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Svale to Redwood Shores

Here's a few shots of mine. Repeats if you are one of my Facebook friends.

Mtn View bridge to geese on the trail. Past the James Moore memorial then hooked up with a group of Facebook employees. Rode with them to the Facebook energizer station. Continued north, another gratuitous bridge shot, then stopped at Hiller Aviation Museum. Safe and sound at work at the Shores Center. Nice surprise in the musette bag, a cool and handy little blinky light!

I'm going to have to do this ride more often!

Attachments

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
My mind is blown every time I see pics of one of these bike-to-work events. What a cool deal. I apparently live somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I was there and helped myself to the fine eats on the way to work. All the volunteers were great.

Now, if we want take this to the next level, we have to get Hooters to do a booth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts