100lb rider on a 31lb bike. 19 remedy 8

she rides okay but just cant stay up at a decent speed for long
ends up bonking nearly every ride

we have tried better nutrition and on ride nutrition

but was thinking that a motorized bike might help

problem is she is tiny woman.

how much bike weight is too much bike weight

motorized bike would be 50% of body weight

everyone says they get the same workout on their ebike, that they do on their regular bike!

well thats not going to work.

we need her to be able to go 3 to 4 times her normal distance without getting excessively tired.

i just question how thats possible w a heavy 50lb motorized bike.

what body weight % do you feel is too much?

we like the extra capability that the remedy bike offers. it bails her out without much stress.

but selling it and getting a 25lb xc bike would drop the capabilty but make a big diff on her power to weight ratio. 33% to 25%

if i swapped wheels and tires and took 600gm away, whats the real benefit to her. $2000 for that alone.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Sounds like fitness is the issue not size or bike. Get out there and ride 3 times per week and the fitness will come.

If you want to add an engine don't worry about bike weight. The engine counter acts that.

As far as bike spec for lighter ride you can spec light weight gear. A lighter bike will make it easier. But it wont fix lack of fitness.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Arguably the fastest enduro racer women in the world is 5'0" and just over 100lbs. So if your saying the "problem is she is tiny", you might want to come up with a different excuse. Also don't blame the bike, because that's never a valid excuse for lack of fitness. Get an ebike for her because they are fun and allow people to ride further.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't mean to come down on you. We have very little data to go on, and we frankly need her side of there story.

A heavier bike isn't going to solve this, its going to make the downhill section more difficult and dangerous for her. That's a lot more mass she's going to need to deal with. Yeah, sure she'll blast up the uphills, but the problem now has moved to the downhill sections. Try taking long brakes in between rides. Just sit and eat, relax. Give her a chance to refuel. She might be cool, having a picnic, while you make a few more runs.

It would be easier to make suggestion if we knew what she thought.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
Honestly size isn't the issue. There is just a fitness difference between you. Yes, with lots of work and training on her part, or increased beer consumption on your part, that gap might close. But an E-bike is a way of closing it immediately.

When my wife was pregnant we got her a Levo-SL., instantly the gap between us closed. I would recommend that if you are going to go the e-bike route go with one of the lighter ones, Orbea Rise or Specialized Levo-SL. Both of those bike handle like a conventional bike. Also a full power e-bike is just too powerful to ride with regular bikes.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
A heavier bike isn't going to solve this, its going to make the downhill section more difficult and dangerous for her. That's a lot more mass she's going to need to deal with. Yeah, sure she'll blast up the uphills, but the problem now has moved to the downhill sections. Try taking long brakes in between rides. Just sit and eat, relax. Give her a chance to refuel. She might be cool, having a picnic, while you make a few more runs.

It would be easier to make suggestion if we knew what she thought.
Not necessarily. As someone who rides both moto and mtb nearly every weekend, there are plenty of people who can shred on a moto and are super sketchy m and/or slow on a mtb. Weight doesn't make a bike harder to ride downhill if you have a decent skillset.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Talking about power to weight ,if you compare a moto's power to weight you will find that they are very powerful to the weight. Then add a rider ,still true. When you do the same with mb , the difference isn't as big ,where the difference comes from is the rider and that can be huge. So either she gets fitter (and maybe never gets to your fitness), you learn to slow down and enjoy the kind of riding she can do or she gets a e bike to even things out power wise. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the weight ,plenty of smaller people riding moto's and not having many problems.

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
we need her to be able to go 3 to 4 times her normal distance without getting excessively tired.
Why?

Maybe you should try riding 1/3 your normal distance without getting excessively bitchy and give her a chance to build fitness while having fun.

?

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
I have a novice lightweight wife I've ridden with a good bit.

People this size simply don't need the robustness in their components that larger stronger people do. In fact they don't even need the same traction larger people do, not even close.

Not sure what your friend is riding but assuming it's a good pedaling bike and the sag is set correctly (set while seated please!) just put her on some very fast lightweight XC tires. That alone will give her 25-50% more range if she is currently on Minions or something.

The best solution is an uber lightweight bike with components sized for her including:27.5" XC wheels, small brakes, 32-34mm fork, very light tires, not much travel, save weight wherever you can.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I'm guessing the issue is that she runs out of energy on the climbs, right? Not the descents.
In that case, a lighter bike, with faster rolling tires would help some.
An ebike would help more, probably.
When I first rode with my youngest son (when he was about 6), we'd go out half a mile on a flat trail, he'd stop, eat a snack, have some water, and we'd return.
It really never occurred to me that he had to go farther or ride faster. Now when I ride with him, I don't even get to stop to puke. When I ride with my wife, a trail that takes me an hour, takes her 2. As far as I'm concerned, that's an extra hour of fun. Just go out and ride slow, stop and enjoy the outdoors, keep her heart rate low enough so that she can continue.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I'm guessing the issue is that she runs out of energy on the climbs, right? Not the descents.
In that case, a lighter bike, with faster rolling tires would help some.
An ebike would help more, probably.
When I first rode with my youngest son (when he was about 6), we'd go out half a mile on a flat trail, he'd stop, eat a snack, have some water, and we'd return.
It really never occurred to me that he had to go farther or ride faster. Now when I ride with him, I don't even get to stop to puke. When I ride with my wife, a trail that takes me an hour, takes her 2. As far as I'm concerned, that's an extra hour of fun. Just go out and ride slow, stop and enjoy the outdoors, keep her heart rate low enough so that she can continue.
Yep. If you are a hardcore biker and the other half rides occasionally then there always will be a gap. Do chilled rides with the missis and hard out rides with your mates.

Side note.

My Boy now 13 has surpassed my wife for speed and crazy level. Riding with him is starting to get interesting. We can hit some fun stuff that my wife wont or my 17 year old daughter who rides at about the same level as my wife.

PS They are all short arses.... 5"1 is the tallest and 50kg weight. 13 year old boy is the fastest out of them and hes shorter and lighter maybe 4"6 and 40 kg. But he's punching jumps and drops and steeps and quite difficult stair sections. Good times.

Size is not the limiting factor! Fitness, skill, and mental attitude.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
like i said...

what does riding a machine 50% of your weight do from a mtb perspective vs riding one 25% of your weight but sans engine.

realistic examples

if your 165lbs are you happier on a 40.5lb xc or a 81lb ebike

if your 220lbs then 55lb xc or a 110lb ebike

im 255lbs so that means for me im out there on a 63lb xc machine or a 127.5lb ebike

doesnt seem fair to say go get more fit when my bike would be 81lbs at 33% body weight which is what she is on at the moment

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
like i said...

what does riding a machine 50% of your weight do from a mtb perspective vs riding one 25% of your weight but sans engine.

realistic examples

im 255lbs so that means for me im out there on a 63lb xc machine or a 127.5lb ebike

doesnt seem fair to say go get more fit when my bike would be 81lbs at 33% body weight which is what she is on at the moment
If you lost 40 pounds, do you think you would be faster or slower?

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
Are you only wondering whether or not bike weight, as a % of muscle mass, or body weight is an issue?
I would say, yes, it's an issue, or at least it makes some difference.

Is this more of a "what should she do" question?
If so, I'd say go lighter on the bike (though that may not be enough) or suggest she demo or get an ebike.

The people who say they get as good a work out on an ebike are probably exceptionally good riders who REALLY hammer it. Someone like me would not get as much of a workout on an ebike. For me, that's a feature, not a flaw and I expect she would be in the same category. I suppose it's also likely that the greater mass of an ebike, on a complex downhill would have its own challenges, but it doesn't sound like that applies to her either.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
like i said...

realistic examples

It seems like it should work like that, but it doesn't. Either that or my kid is an insect cause she was pedaling around 50% of her body weight, quite effortlessly.

No doubt that body weight vs. bike weight matters, I just don't think in the real world it's the 1:1 relationship we make it out to be. For example, a 200# person will in fact not go 2x as fast/ long/ your preferred metric as say a 100# person on the exact same bike assuming they have the same level of bike fitness and both fit the bike well. Sure they will likely be significantly stronger overall on the bike, but not 2x as strong.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
take example from kids, you start small with short distance with multiple brakes in btw and bag of m&m's (whatever food source rider prefer)
you carry all on their water, and yes you will be bored to ride at the beginning, with time and consistence practice -> magic happened;

so as example my:
2 year old weights 12 kg and rides 3 kg bike (does not mean that he can ride longer then other two, mile or two)
5 year old weights 15 kg and rides 8 kg bike ( motivated to ride 10's of miles )
6 year old weights 20 kg and rides 10 kg bike (able to ride 10's of miles, however not motivated much)

I would not focus on the bike itself, focus on rider and his motivation

·
Registered
13,431 Posts
It seems like it should work like that, but it doesn't. Either that or my kid is an insect cause she was pedaling around 50% of her body weight, quite effortlessly.
This.

I regularly see people in the Kids and Families subforum making the same sort of comparison as the OP as if it's gospel, but in the real world, it just doesn't work that way. If it did, all we'd have to do to get faster would be to pack on a bunch of weight and XC champs would weight 400lbs.

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
like i said...

realistic examples

Think about it this way. Generally the upper level for sustainable power for human beings is around 450 watts. So for you this is around 4 watts/kg. It is unlikely that you are sustaining 450 watts, 300-350 is probably where your at. Lets say 2.8 watts/kg.

A sustainable power output of 3-4 watts/kg is very reasonable for most women to achieve, particularly if they are 100lbs. In other words if she was to train properly for 6 months you would be one talking about getting an e-bike to keep up!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
like i said...

realistic examples

You're right, we're wrong. It's all on the bike and how much it weighs. Nothing to do with rider fitness. Other kids and small adults who are capable of riding circles around your 255lb body must be defying your laws of physics and understanding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.