Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a more modern bike to replace my current quiver. Usually ride a 2009 Giant Trance X 26”. Also have an older Trek Session 7 that is too heavy for riding here in WI. Both of those are going to go when I get a new bike. Only modern bike I have ridden was a Yeti SB100 at Grand Targhee last week. It was a pretty big step up in bike but I would want more travel for a single bike.

1) Budget around $4000
2) Considering:
Kona Process 134 DL 27.5” or 29”
Ibis Ripley AF
3) What type of riding? Mostly short cross-country rides (3-6 miles) with short climbs/descents. Live in south central WI so definitely not huge vertical. Would do much more down if I could. Couple days of lift serviced a year out West along with some longer rides. Usually with my 10 and 7 year old so not all that fast. Want something to screw around jumping off roots, etc.
4) Has to be full-suspension
5) 40 years old, 5’11” 195 lbs
6) What sources will you consider buying from? Anywhere

Any advice is appreciated.

·
MTBR Member since 2001...
330 Posts
Greetings,
Even though the Kona has a SLX groupset over the base Deore Ripley AF, I believe the Ripley's DW link rear end is an advantage over the "stoned hawaiian". Kona has been in the business a long time and they make good bikes, but if you are deciding between these two in the log run I'd Ripley AF.

Me however. I'd go Ripmo AF. The DVO Suspension coupled with the rear end is again the advantage, even though the Kona has the SLX groupset. With either Ibis you are saving money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.