Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a Bike Theft FAQ?

What to do if your bike is stolen, after calling the police and insurance?
(e.g. Such as searching Craigslist. Websites to post on.)

Did your insurance go up after filing a claim?

How to avoid getting your bike stolen?
(e.g. Never leave it in a car in SF.)

Best locks to slow down casual thieves?
(Pros will get it with enough time.)

Best alarms to alert you someone is messing with your bike?
(No one other than you cares. Accept it.)

Maps of where bicycles are being stolen?
(e.g. https://www.crimereports.com/ for bicycles?)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
My insurance didn't go up, but when I switched carriers , it was tough to get covered.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue tarps - Urban camo for bikes in a garage.

I put an old blue tarp over my motorcycles. If the garage door is open and you drive or walk by, it just looks like a big pile of crap with a tarp over it. Tarps with spray paint or splattered white paint add to the effect.
image_18524.jpg

·
Registered
419 Posts
The insurance thing comes up often, with varied answers, so it's best to check with your agent to see how your specific plan works. That being said, I've got my bike scheduled separately since it's a high dollar item. I'm covered for theft or damage (not sure how that works...) and am eligible for the full amount paid, not the depreciated amount. Also, scheduling it this way means my premium won't go up as a result of filing a claim. You pay more, but get numerous benefits that outweigh the costs IMHO.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search Engines to look for your bike, should it be sold online. These sites let you search multiple areas.

SearchTempest Online Classifieds Search - All the Classifieds. One Search.
Ad Hunt'r - Search ALL of Craigslist? and more!
Classifieds - Claz.org
Craigslist Search Engine: Easily Search ALL of Craigslist
Best and Cheap Deals on Amazon, eBay & Craigslist ? Smartised

Tips you are looking at an ad for a stolen bike.
o Nice bike and the owner knows nothing about the components.
o Painted flat black with spray cans.
o Price is too good to be true... it probably isn't true or legal.
o Ask if they have the original reciept
o Seller wants you to give cash back.
o Seller wants Western Union payment. (The money transfer perferred by scammers.)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The insurance thing comes up often, with varied answers, so it's best to check with your agent to see how your specific plan works. That being said, I've got my bike scheduled separately since it's a high dollar item. I'm covered for theft or damage (not sure how that works...) and am eligible for the full amount paid, not the depreciated amount. Also, scheduling it this way means my premium won't go up as a result of filing a claim. You pay more, but get numerous benefits that outweigh the costs IMHO.
Years ago, a horse freaked out and stomped an Ibis mtn bike into modern art. Insurance bought the owner a new bike.

What company insures bicycles separately? Seems like a good idea, but these days, it seems like every bit of information is shared.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I was with State Farm for renters insurance. They had no limit on bikes as personal property, and cover full replacement value (at MSRP). I had a bike stolen a year ago, plus a decent size claim when my truck was broken into on a road trip a year before that and my duffel of clothing/parts/tools was taken. I was told when I made the bike claim that making it would not result in increased premium since theft/break in is not my fault. They didn't raise my rate, but they cancelled my coverage on the next renewal date. Its too bad because they were great to deal with during the claims.

Best thing I would suggest in preventing theft is to keep bikes out of sight. Its harder to steal if they don't know its there. Otherwise you can only slow them down. Make sure to have serial numbers for all your bikes, and current photos.

·
Registered
419 Posts
What company insures bicycles separately?
I would imagine every company. It's just scheduled as personal property on my renter's policy. When I owned a house, I had it scheduled on my homeowner's policy. For high dollar items such as bikes, jewelry, artwork, etc. there is typically a limit (that is very low) as to how much insurance will cover UNLESS you schedule it separately.

I was told when I made the bike claim that making it would not result in increased premium since theft/break in is not my fault. They didn't raise my rate, but they cancelled my coverage on the next renewal date. Its too bad because they were great to deal with during the claims.
I worried about the same thing with my insurance after filing a claim last year, luckily I wasn't dropped. This would be worth asking your agent about too. It's pretty sneaky to say "we wont raise your premiums!" but then drop you when your policy is up. Just trying to look out for themselves I suppose.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I think they would have been ok if it were just the one claim. But they seem to have a problem when there are two or more claims within 5 years. I had my broker search around for replacement policies and this seemed to be the case with a lot of companies. Fair enough I guess but it might have changed my decision to make the second claim if they had told me I would be dropped (2nd claim was not areal expensive bike, . I have not had experience yet with the new company but the policy is double the cost of what I paid with State Farm, also with no limit on bikes as personal property.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It really bothers me to watch commercials talk about "We won't raise your rates if you have an accident." From what I was told, this is the standard formula for auto insurance. (Ask your agent if this is how your insurance works.

1 accident = 1 point.
1 injury accident = 2 points.
1 ticket = 1 point
1 DUI, wreckless driving, evading,... = whole lot of em.

Total all points,
subtract 1 point (your get out of jail free card.)
multiply by 0.25 and you get your premium add on.

So getting 1 point for an accident, equals the 1 point subtracted. Increase is 0.25*0 = 0. You get 1 (single point) ticket or 1 accident without a rate increase. It still counts as a point if you get into another accident or a ticket. 2 accidents or 2 tickets, subtract 1 point, you get 1 point times a 25% boost in rates. 3 points, minus 1 = 50% increase. Pretty simple.

Don't forget any ticket on the streets goes against your driving record. In a car, on a bike, on a horse... all the same. Including a DUI.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
We use bait bikes at SJSU and they work pretty well. Lots of good info people have said previously. Out of sight is the best defense. Cable locks are a joke, U locks work the best. Most people have digital cameras or smartphones. Take a pic of your bike and serial number and keep it. if your bike gets taken, report it. If you have the serial number we put it into a property system and when I see Joe Blow on a $5K bike and know it isn't his, you will get it back. Without a serial number, not much we can do. Some insurance will provide "replacement cost" and you can get the amount it would cost to get your current bike now. I can tell you the most theft we get now is fixie guys stealing from other fixies. They will take the stupidest stuff not worth much. It is easy to find these "kids" because they all carry adjustable wrenches and say it is to "adjust" their bikes. Anyway, the rule is that if a thief wants your bike and you give them an opportunity, it will be taken. At least make them work for it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts