Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just discovered these forums about a week ago. What a great website! Nice to see a place for us bigger guys to talk.

Anyway I am graduating from college soon and ill be moving back to the Baltimore, Md area to work. My parents agreed to split a new mountain bike with me as my old one is 7ish or so years old. I have been looking up some things online but its hard to find out what bikes are a good fit for a myself as I am both Tall and rounder around the belly.

I am 6'6", 240lbs and droping sloooowly. Most of my riding is XC that isnt overly agressive. Allthough when i get a new bike I would like to try some more agrezzive and technical trails that may have drops of a couple feet. I am interested in a bike that I can ride hard without parts/frame breakign under my weight.

My budget is about $800-$1000.
I am mostly looking into a hardtail because I dont think I can get a quality duel suspension for my weight at the price. If this assumption is wrong please correct me.
I have also looked at some information of 29" tires for big/tall guys. Would I be able to get 29"ers at my budget?

Any suggestions on bikes would be awsome.
Thank you

·
Slower than you...
113 Posts
MikeyVT said:
I am mostly looking into a hardtail because I dont think I can get a quality duel suspension for my weight at the price. If this assumption is wrong please correct me.
I have also looked at some information of 29" tires for big/tall guys. Would I be able to get 29"ers at my budget?

Thank you
Kona Hoss / Hoss DeeLuxe are highly recommended by a lot of folks. Can't speak from personal experience, though. You might get a decent 29er in that range - my LBS has a 29" Gary Fisher Excalibur for just over a grand.

tdh

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
I'd look at Ebay if that's your budget.
You can find some great deals on there.

I'm 6'6" 250 and just broke my 04 Specialized Enduro Expert (Chainstay welds) and I'm not an aggressive rider.

They replaced with the same model year part (so it's going to break again).

So I upgraded to a Titus Super Moto that won't break.

These are pricey, but you get what you pay for. (Frame is $1600)

If you're serious I'd save up and get a decent frame.
Most bikes aren't made for guys our size.
You need to shop around.
Titus, Ventana, etc. will work.

We don't have the luxury of a large assortment of choices like the smaller folks.

Just don't drink so much beer and save your money :) and get a really good bike that will last.

If you spend $800-1000 now, you'll be spending much more later.....

Just my $.02

·
livin' large
534 Posts
If your big or aggressive you will break some parts, if you are big and aggressive you break lots of parts. I would stick to a hardtail if funds are limited, check out some of the dirt jump/ freeride hardtails that are available, most seem to be pretty burly, but not too exspensive. They will wiegh more than the average XC bike, but will hold up better. I've always favoured heavy duty parts on my bikes as the light stuff don't last with me on it (6'2" 265lbs of winter beer gut)

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
Bikes at 240lbs

MikeyVT said:
Thank you for all the advice so far. I never thought of checking out the Freeride Hardtails.
Just make sure you can get leg extension if you're gonna be riding XC much.

At 240 you're not so big that you need to worry about snapping your frame every time you hit a bump, but if you are going to be doing serious jumps and drops then it may be necessary.

If you are not going big, but lets say you are 'going medium' then a standard non-ultrlight XC bike with non-ultralight wheels and wide tires should be enough. If something breaks from what you consider to be normal riding, then replace it with something stronger.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
DEFFINATELY check out the Kona Hoss....

MikeyVT said:
Just discovered these forums about a week ago. What a great website! Nice to see a place for us bigger guys to talk.

Anyway I am graduating from college soon and ill be moving back to the Baltimore, Md area to work. My parents agreed to split a new mountain bike with me as my old one is 7ish or so years old. I have been looking up some things online but its hard to find out what bikes are a good fit for a myself as I am both Tall and rounder around the belly.

I am 6'6", 240lbs and droping sloooowly. Most of my riding is XC that isnt overly agressive. Allthough when i get a new bike I would like to try some more agrezzive and technical trails that may have drops of a couple feet. I am interested in a bike that I can ride hard without parts/frame breakign under my weight.

Thank you
or Hoss Deluxe. Both would fit into your budget and they were designed by a big guy for big guys! They're heavier than your standard hardtail from Titus or Ventana or whom ever, but they are TOUGH!!! Think Ford Truck as compared to a Mustang. You'll go faster in the Pony, but the Truck will take ALLOT more beating. From the sounds of it a 22" Hoss D would come darned close to fitting you. I'd recommend giving the Hoss Deluxe a serious look. MSRP is $1099. The other option of a DJ or Freeride hardtail would work too, but you'll spend allot of time looking for one with a geometry that works for XC or general riding. But they can be found. Of course this all depends on your preference in geometry of course. That's my 2 cents.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
4 Posts
MikeyVT said:

Thank you
Hi I'm 6' 250 lbs and I ride a Kona Hoss. Really great bike. Just love it !! I ride a 20" but there is also a 22" frame for taller guys. It's really a tough XC bike. Go see the reviews on this site. I recommend this bike strongly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
spend just a little more.

for a grand it is hard to get a good ds bike but my freind picked up a weyless xp for less than $1200 delivered to his door. he is about 270 with full gear on. no problems yet but he just got it a few weeks ago and we are just starting to ride the spring season.

a dont know if supergo has any more or will have a new one for 05.
good luck

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.