Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am ready for a new bike, my current bike is a Raleigh Mojave 2.0 Frame with Rockshox Dart 2 fork and Shimano LX components from the late 90's. (This was my 2nd Raleigh Frame and my last per the Raleigh rep.) I had this frame for about 5 years and I am ready for an upgrade.

I'm willing to spend around $1,500 or less on a bike (preferably less). I am most likely going to try to by an older model brand new bike, i.e. left over 2012 or 2013 bike that way I can get a better bike for the money. I am looking at mainly Trek and Cannondale, but I am open to other brands as well. Preformance Bike Shop who sells GT and Diamondback bikes has a great warranty, basically your money back for a whole year or a lifetime warranty i.e. store credit on a bike, they'll also do minor adjustments for free on their bikes, they're a chain and have a over hundred stores in the US, so buying a GT or Diamondback from them seems like a good deal because of this warranty.

For $1,500 or less I think I am better off buying a Hard Tail bike because I'll get a better bike, but of course I'd love to have a full suspension bike. My dream bike is a Cannondale Scalpel however, they're around $4000 although I can get a 2012 model for $2,200 at a local bike shop. Anyway that same bike shop the guy has a brand new 2010 Cannondale F2 Lefty for $1,350 that I'm thinking of buying.

I will not be doing any races on my bike, just fun leasure riding, however, I grew up riding in NJ and love technical trails, and beat up my bikes. I am now living in Michigan and the trails here aren't as technical (at least the ones I've been on). I'll be doing a lot of riding in the Ann Arbor area for the next two summers.

Anyway what's a great bike for that price? Is it as simple as just comparing the compenents on different bike brands and going with the bike with the best components?

Thanks a lot for you help in advance.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
For $1500 you may be able to find a new old stock GT Sensor 9r.

I got a slamming deal on mine (9r Elite) brand new for $1k but deals like that are hard (almost impossible) to find. I do however see them around $1500 often.

Otherwise lots of choices for good hard tails in that price range.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Trek Superfly 6 hardtail. Great components and frame for the price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying a 2013 Cannondale F29 Alloy 1 Lefty for $1500 brand new from a bike shop. MSRP on the bike is $2790 so I think I got a pretty good deal.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying a 2013 Cannondale F29 Alloy 1 Lefty for $1500 brand new from a bike shop. MSRP on the bike is $2790 so I think I got a pretty good deal.
That is a great deal! Enjoy your new bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts