Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm looking to get into the mountain bike world after doing a day of down hilling at keystone resort in Colorado. I've got about $1,000 budget for a bike right now, with a little bit of flexibility. Most of my riding will be done in the Front Range area of Colorado, mainly Boulder and Denver areas, and I'll definitely be throwing in some Utah trips this summer.

Some of me Spec's:
-6'1"
-200 lbs
-6'4" wingspan, thinking may need a frame size of XL over L.
-*Inseam is 34.5"

I'm really confused to the types of riding I will be doing and the bike which will fit me best. I would ideally like a bike that could do a little of it all, which would be an all mountain bike to my understanding. I've been hearing great things about the Giant Reigns XO and find a decent amount of them on craigslist within my price range.

Any advice about a bike for my size and one that could conquer most trails without breaking the bank would be greatly appreciated. If I forgot any details let me know!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
If you go with a Giant, then a large (20.5") would probably be perfect for you, depending on your inseam. The Giant Reign XO are really nice bikes, but I doubt you'd find one within your budget. If you're not going to be shuttling up a mountain that often, then a 120-140mm travel bike could handle most trails. You can check Pinkbike.com for deals as there are plenty of bikes for sale in Colorado.

Giant Trance X3 2012 size Large price drop - Pinkbike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks a lot for the fast responses! Lots of information in past threads as well! Learning a lot today, will be sure to post more later.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I think you're on the right track with something in the 'all mountain' range given that it sounds like you caught a bit of the DH bug. I agree that 20-21", or large, would likely be your sizing if your inseam is in the 33-34" range.

I know a few people that have had good luck with Reigns for general trail riding as well as occasional lift days. Not likely to break any records on the climbs, but you'll have plenty of fun on the way back down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@slapheadmofo

The Reign sounds like a bike i'd enjoy. Not looking to be a speed demon on climbs, but wouldn't mind cruising on some downhills. And I just measured my inseam, its 34.5", the charts tell me a 20" or large would be a good size.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
See if you can throw a leg over one. That'll tell you the most.

Pardon me while I spend your money...

More trail-ish than AM, but if you realistically think you'll spend time riding 'regular' trails a lot more than lift-served or shuttled..
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/4343562345.html

On the other hand...
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/4367878337.html

Something in between...
https://boulder.craigslist.org/bik/4386900485.html

More...

Trek Fuel EX 8

Turner RFX Size Medium

2009 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Large

Specialized Stumpjumper S Works

2011 Kona Cadabra

Cannondale RZ 120

Damn...you've got a pretty sweet CL selection out there...I could pick endless fun bikes outta there that you could work fair deals on. Think a little bit more about the riding your likely to do most, or if not most, then what type of riding is it most important to you that your bike handle well. That will really help narrow things down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@slapheadmofo

Hey man, thanks a lot for all your help bud! I'm going into some bike shops and asking the workers where their favorite riding spots are and what type of riding they do to get a feel for the area.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
Also, if you can find your way onto any of the local riding or trailwork groups' websites, those are usually a great source for used bikes too. A lot of times, people selling their bikes through club sites will let them go cheaper through those avenues than they will to someone through CL or ebay. Little of the 'bro deal' thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, I'm going to go check out this posting here pretty soon,

Giant Reign XO - large

Seems like a good deal to me, but what do you guys think? And jne232 that looks like a nice bike man, congrats. I'll definitely let y'all know what I get!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts