Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro with the E150 fork. A tech at my LBS told me that I shouldn't store the bike upside down (I typically hang my bikes from hooks in the garage ceiling) because this would cause oil leakage and problems with the fork. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks a lot!

·
Fat Skis/Fat Tires
1,959 Posts
Gooder said:
I have a 2008 Specialized Enduro with the E150 fork. A tech at my LBS told me that I shouldn't store the bike upside down (I typically hang my bikes from hooks in the garage ceiling) because this would cause oil leakage and problems with the fork. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is a good or bad idea?

Thanks a lot!
It's been advised to let your bike sit upside down the night before a ride so the oil in the fork legs can make its way up to the foam rings and seals.

Leaving it that way may cause the oil to leak out over time, since the seals are not liquid-tight. If you're staying on top of your oil levels (which of course you ought to be), there won't be any problems.

·
At Work
1,801 Posts
you can use the same hooks, stick the nose of your seat in them. Bike will hang that way, just a bit lower.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Your LBS Tech, isn't.

Upside down is OK for all bikes and their parts made after 2000.

This reminds me of the fellow who thought his Brain Shock needed to be shipped for repairs in an up right position or else it wouldn't work, LOL!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I do that too

Iceman2058 said:
I always turn mine upside down the day before a ride - instant cure for stiction. But typically throughout the week I will store it upright.
I wish somebody had told me that before I spent hours taking a brand new fork apart and lubing everything. I put the bike upside down the day before a ride also and it makes an amazing difference.

I do have a crappy manitou fork on my old hardtail and it leaks no matter how I store it, but definitely more so if it's upside down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts