Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The stable is growing in the garage and need to think about how to store my bikes. Right now the 3 bikes are just leaning against one wall. Do you guys have any pics on how you store your bikes?

Here is a pic of the stable now.

I am thinking of using something like this. Topeak OneUp Bike Holder - Free Shipping at REI.com

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
well i have seen people hang them from them wall

but then i wouldn't have do you're back every time lifting them off the wall

i think the most basic thing is just get a bike rack on the ground

looks like have enough room in the garage for that

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
In our shop we only hang bikes with hydraulic brakes level, mechanical brakes are hung from the back wheel, all hydraulic brakes have air in the system, (taking the cap off your car/trucks brake reservoir will prove that) the air can end up in your hoses. and cause mushy brakes, eventually it may work its way to the top again, or have to be bled.
You might try motorcycle type tie down straps (they have coated hooks) hanging from the rafters hooked to the handlebar area, and seat.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pics.

@torreyaz, I like your setup. I will have to sell my kayak to clear up space on the wall for the wall bike racks. Coming to terms with selling the kayak is a whole different story, ha!

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,411 Posts
I use a 2×4 cut between the studs in the wall. Take the front wheel off bike stand bike up like on a wheelie. Mount the 2×4 "FLAT"on wall the height of where fork meets the wall. Mount a sqewer to the 2×4 then mount the bike to the sqewer. Lean the front wheel against rear wheel on the floor. Optional; Then you can mount a thick steal eylet into concrete and run a cable through eyelet and wheels and frame and pad lock it. This the most effective cheap and easiest of bike storage I have come up with. Short of hanging them by cables in the air.

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
Thanks for the pics.

@torreyaz, I like your setup. I will have to sell my kayak to clear up space on the wall for the wall bike racks. Coming to terms with selling the kayak is a whole different story, ha!
Just a note, that's in a 3rd bay and no one parks a car there. Not sure if you could get a car next to it; never tried. Thanks for the comment.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Looks like the bigger problem is the kayak; it's a huge wall hog. Basic rules of storage suggest that the objects most frequently used be the most accessible.

Devise a pulley system to get the kayak up in the air near the joists. After that the bike storage problem will make more sense.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.