Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not yet and I intend to keep it that way. :thumbsup:

I am interested in what happened to people who did have their bikes stolen though. I want to learn what to do and not do to keep this from happening.
I keep all my bikes inside and never leave any unattended outside. That is probably 99% insurance covering the usual cases of the bike being left alone without it's guardian.
Other than somebody breaking in my home I can't find any holes in my security. When I travel I even bring them inside the hotel room to discourage theft. On our recent
camping trip I had six mountain bikes cramped in our room. It was like a bike shop.
I know it will be painful to bring up memories of lost ones but I just want to make sure all bases are covered.

Sort of on topic also would be in event a bike is stolen off a vehicle, I believe regular car insurance doesn't pay for that? Is there a special add on for that sort of thing.
I recently went camping with some relatives in an area where bears frequented.
My cousin brought his truck and was worried so he bought extra "bear coverage" while we were there for a week. If bear damage can be bought then why not bike theft coverage.
When you start getting into thousands of dollars in bicycles it seems they need their own protection just like a car/motorcycle/boat.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Bike theft is covered by home owners or renters insurance no matter where it happens. Same with contents inside your car that aren't a part of your car.
Check with your provider in how much they will cover. They balked at my sworks and required a separate rider for it. My epic, only 3k, was covered just fine under renters insurance.

Usually the process goes like this; you file a police report. They take that report copy, a copy of the revisits for the items (if you had components upgraded). They take the original price paid for the items that are no longer available readily and deduct a depreciation amount for the final pay out. For components that are available they give you the cheapest price that they can find. Including trolling amazon and ebay for pricing.
When they pay you out they are taking ownership of the item and if recovered you are required to turn it over to them (or repay the claim).

A bike with a value over 8-9k is very hard to insure. 3 bikes combined for 10k is even harder for some reason.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I moved to Houston this past December I had to get renters insurance for the first time in years and USAA informed me my bikes were covered but, I had to get a $40k policy to cover my three road bikes.

As for preventing theft, I pretty much decide that, if I can't bring my bike in (Starbucks, restaurant, etc) I don't go in!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.