Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bike was stolen out of my garage on new years day, I was at home I opened my garage to go out and clean it came back in to grab some stuff then went out and within 10 minutes my baby was gone.

The bike is a burnt orange large 07(older frame style) blur LT it was my baby and it was all tricked out with a joplin seat post which is probably gone now, I just purchased this bike used a month ago and was just wondering if people could help keep an eye out for it I would much appreciate it thank you

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
did you canvas the neighbors, in case they saw anything? sorry man, that sucks to hear...

·
XC = fewer broken bones
46 Posts
Also, sorry to hear D4L (& TD). It makes me sick to hear about this! It's not only theft of the bike, but there is the feeling of being violated, some stranger(s) walking up to your home and going in your garage (porch or backyard) and taking something.

I remember my sister had her new expensive 10 speed bike stolen off the porch on Xmas day (back in the mid 70's) that my parents saved for. She had "opened" it that day & was stolen like within 6 hours later. She never did get it back. I got my BMX bike stolen in 7th grade while in school, but their was a good ending to that - it was returned a day later by someone I knew.

Crime wasn't as bad as it is today nor are there as many young & old low lifes (my opinion), drug users looking for anything of value to hawk as there was then. Today you have the economy (unemployment, higher taxes, lower police staffing in some cities).

W4D, since it happened so fast it would seem more likely to be a local person. Although I guess someone could jump out of a truck and throw it in, but man that would be kinda ballsy and if that person was local they might have fear their vehicle would be recongnized, but around 5 it is getting dark now.

Do you have a pic? I will keep a eye out at China Camp & Tam

Everyone needs really make a concious effort to look at their "stuff" and think about what they would do if they turned their back then turned back around and it was gone. Bikes, phones, ipods, cameras, laptops are the easiest things to "walk".

1) I know this is common sense and probably 99% of you know this so I do not hope I come across as an A$$ .I'm really just trying to be helpful while venting at the scum who steal bikes, but mainly prevent thefts. 2) I'm not trying to take away from your situations either. We, bicycle owners of America need to start doing two things:

1) Get in the habit of assuming someone is going to steal your bike.

When your not riding get it out of site as soon as possible. When driving back from a ride remove it from your vehicle 1st thing so the time it is in public view is minimized. Then either temporarily or permanently store it. Depending on what you ride, where you live, or how paranoid (in this case a good thing) you may want to make a detour if you think someone is following you to know where your expensive bike calls home.

If you need to clean it do it in the back yard if possible or somewhere out of site.

Make sure you register it.

Take good photos of it As many as you think of whatever parts and update them when you get new parts. Store them some in a file.

Put a picture, piece of cardboard or paper (tear out a pic of your favorite rider or whoever) and shove it inside your bike frame & or seat post or handlebar. And record the info if you think you might forget what it/they were of should your bike get stolen years later. I wouldn't put anything with personal information in case THAT is found by the thief. Anyway, by chance your bike is seen and a confrontation occurs you can prove it is yours.

Similarly, put a drip of paint (not bright) or something small mark in inconspicuous place(s) on the bottom of your frame or inside rear triangle for more permanent proof. (stickers would stand out and probably be removed).

2) we need to think about having "functions" were a group of us get together once a while (maybe after a ride or when bad weather prevents a ride or when there is a bike maintenance class/bbq/mini beer fest at a rider's home) and set an amount of time to set up a trap or sting. We'll show fight club (j/k). I bet it wouldn't take long (10 minutes right) for someone to see a bike "unattended". We could handle it the legal way (talk to authorities before on how to handle) or "not".

Somewhat related: I've even thought about putting a program where I would volunteer my time once a while, say for an hour or so, before or after a ride at a heavily used trail head and watch over the other vehicles for theft. I would want to put something together like a card/pamphlet so others didn't think I was the one who was suspicious.

Sorry 4 the short post! I didn't want to hijack / offend the first thing in 2010.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the helpful ideas im still shocked it was taken in broad daylight the washer and dryer were going and the neighbors were out they didn't see anything it just disappeared

·
Registered
7 Posts
About 5 years ago I had my beautiful baby stolen, she was a 01' candy apple green sm Santa Cruz Bullit. It was in the back of our truck locked under the camper shell waiting for the first ride I had been medically cleared to go on since I fell ill many many months earlier. Although I knew I wouldn't have enough energy to get much of a ride in, I was elated to be able to push the pedals and feel alive again. I had already lost so much at that point...It was never recovered.
Enough about my stolen bike experience. I'm really sorry this happened to you and I hope your bike is able to be recovered. Do you have any pics of the bike? I know it was new to you but even the add pic, if there was one, would help. If there is no pic available. You might want to try contacting the last owner, if possible, and seeing if they have a pic, registered it in the past, or might still have any record of it's serial #'s if you don't already have any or all of these. It would seem odd that your neighbors wouldn't notice a stranger approach your house but a regularly seen person in the neighborhood would be more likely to go unnoticed, in my opinion of course. Have you reported the theft to the local police? If it was stolen from your property it should be covered by property ins. Do you have owners/renters insurance? Have you reported it to them? Also, a little FYI, anything stolen, including bikes, with a value over $5000 is considered a Felony. If you haven't reported the theft yet, you really should consider doing so immediately. I also learned that you should check with the police regularly for any found bikes. Even after reporting the theft and describing the bike in detail it may be found and you may never get notice from them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts