Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since buying my Chilcotin, I've found that my bike stand won't grab the top tube nicely, due to the geo of the formed frames. My earlier bike was a V-Tach, with round tubes, so it was easy.

Can anyone suggest a good bike stand or clamp, that still works on formed frames?

(I'm aware the seat post is the most common clamp location, but for my shop and stand, the top tube is vastly superior if I can make it work)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting concept. That might work, and would solve the issue of clamping on hoses running under the top tube.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use a Park Tool PRS-25. It works great on most tube shapes, plus the narrow clamp works on short seat tubes, and its has a huge range of adjustment. Its a fold up, but pretty stable and sturdy. I have been using it non-stop over the last three year in my bike shop. Also available in bench/wall mount.

Park Tool Co.

·
Five5hot
236 Posts
seat tube would be ideal as that's the only round tubing left on the bike. it'll depend on what size frame and what shock you're running. if you have a small or even medium frame with a DBAir or coil shock then you're probably left little to no room for a clamp to squeeze in there.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Yeah, I never really considered clamping onto anything but the seatpost (and why would you even want to clamp to anything else?).

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I never really considered clamping onto anything but the seatpost (and why would you even want to clamp to anything else?).
'cause the stand tips over.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Why would the stand tip over? I have the lowest level of park tool stands (I think it's like a PC-9 or something), and I've NEVER had the stand fall over, on a large variety of bikes/weights.... I just don't understand how it would tip over when the clamp area is weighted.

Not trying to call you out, i'm just kind of curious.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why would the stand tip over? I have the lowest level of park tool stands (I think it's like a PC-9 or something), and I've NEVER had the stand fall over, on a large variety of bikes/weights.... I just don't understand how it would tip over when the clamp area is weighted.

Not trying to call you out, i'm just kind of curious.
I have what could best be described as a Titan Bike Stand, which looks very similar to: Titan Work Stand with Tray and Bag | Titan | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

When I have my '04 48.5lb V-Tach locked in by the seatpost, the only way to keep the stand from tipping over, is by resting my front tire on the ground, which isn't hard when it's hanging off an '05 888. So there's a lot of weight pulling it over. I'm sure there are better stands that could take the torque, but it's still a lot of stress.

I've been locking in my V-Tach by the top tube triangle for 8 years, and it works great. It is the most balanced position, and allows rotation without much stress on the bike stand, so I naturally have tried to do the same with my Chili. Problem is, the tube is not round, the dropper cable is in the way, and the paint is too pretty to mar.

So I was just wondering what other folks do. Now that I have a dropper, clamping the seat post doesn't work for my Chili anyway.

I'd like to try the Feedback Sports Pro Elite, that clamps from the side, rather than top and bottom. Kinda spendy, but it might be the best solution.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might check out the Thule frame adapter as well. Looks like a simple solution.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I clamp my Feedback Sports Pro Elite stand to the top tube on my Chilcotin. Seems to accommodate the odd shape well. You think I'm going to crush it? I don't.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I just picked up a used Feedback Sports Sprint stand for this very reason. Cant raise the dropper enough to clamp it, and cant clamp the top tube with my Park stand.
The Elite works great from the few times I have used it so far. Huge range of height adjustment, and ability to spin the bike all the way around makes for a great work stand. Only thing it doesnt work well for is anything with the front wheel on (ie brake adjustments) You can flip the bike around to work on the front, but it isnt a complete solution.

Bike Repair Stand | The Sprint Professional Work Stand

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved. REI had a sale, so I picked up the Elite Pro. Awesome stand.

Works with the clamp orientated up or 180 degrees, facing down.

Wish there was a way to get rid of this annoying attached thumbnail picture.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts