Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we have Me, a 5ft7" female (169cm), inseam around 30"

My last bike that I recently sold had the following geometry and was perfect with a 50mm stem.
16" Trance

I am looking at getting a new bike, most likely a Norco Rampage at this stage. However upon riding my husbands Alias (which is supposedly the correct size for me) I started getting sore hands like I used to on the Trance before I went to a non setback seat post and 50mm stem.

So same set up on the 17" Alias with the following geometry & it's just not 100% right. So it's already got a 50mm stem & straight post on it.

Really the only difference between the Alias & Trance is that the top tube is 10mm longer. But this made me worry beceause the Norco Geometry is as below. And I am wondering if I should be going for the XS instead, instead of the Small which was my previous assumption.

The Small norco has a TT of 573mm, the XS has a TT of 550mm, so in theory I should need to run a stem that is 10mm longer than I had on the trance whereas if I got the Small size with a 573mm top tube I could find it too long.

Norco Geometry & Specs

And the final thing that is worrying me is weather the fact that the XS Norco has a 550mm effective top tube and the figure is exactly the same for the actual top tube. Is this an error?
In regards to frame size, my general trail riding saddle height is 59cm (23") from the centre of BB to top of saddle rail, so seat tube height proabably isn't a huge issue.

Sorry for the long spiel, I suppose in essence I'm wondering what others thing would likely be a better fit XS or S Rampage. I haven't really come up with other HT's to consider (the likes of Transition Vagrant, & Banshee Scirocco, Santacruz Chameleon would work out much more expensive).

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
Argh!....

right in my back yard and all I can do is ask questions of you; Norco locally doesn't field calls, but I can call on a local Norco shop that may well be their biggest Norshore Norco bike mover if needed.

1) can you find a shop to swing a leg over one?
2) the stem is designed to be short out of the box for Shore riding, so a longer TT can't be addressed that way. OTOH, too short a TT on thhe smalller bike is also a hard fix.
3) I can't tell if the seat is lay-back or not...it looks a bit like it is but it's unusual for a Shore HT.

I know from looking myself even the bike with perfect specs can be the wrong one. I'd like to suggest you've got to sit on 1 first...then you'll know.

Lastly, will it look like this when delivered down there? :p

Good luck, take your time on this one, email me if you get stuck and I'll see what I can do here in Vancouver.

Cheers, Jim

Attachments

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My nearest LBS is a 3hr drive and they are a Giant dealer, I think a Norco dealer is probably a few more hours drive after that. I've communicated with a couple of stores and bikes are expected to be available around late October to early November. I'm not sure if the closest dealer will be getting any floor stock either as they are in a small town, and they basically said that I should just go by the geo figures on my current bike.

I do have plenty of time until the purchase, but I tend to get thinking about bikes too much and it drives me nuts. I like to nut out all the specs and figures on paper first to have a good idea of what I want.
Purchasing depends on selling a property so that could be within a few months or it may be early next year which is when we are moving intestate to the west.

The most likely scenario is that I will wait until January and buy a bike from the store closest to where we are moving. Hopefully they will have one I can throw a leg over. The alternative will be to go to Perth which isn't too far from where we'll be. Or the third option would be getting one in Sydney or closer before we move, but that's dependent on the finances coming sooner than later.

I just thought the decision was home & hosed, before jumping on the Alias, and thought I'd get some opinions that would if anything hopefully put my mind to rest one way or another whilst I patiently wait to be able to see one or buy one.

I agree about the stem length, I wouldn't want to run anything too long, and well yeah you can only go down to 40mm.
With the XS frame (550mm tt) in theory I may need a 60mm stem. This would equate to the Trance 560mm tt plus 50mm stem. And if that theory is correct then throwing a 40mm stem on the Alias which has a 570mm tt should confirm that.

I thought they came with something like 70mm stems as stock (considering it's a Syncros AM which don't come any shorter than 70mm). The stem I currently have is a Syncros FR 50mm.

I wish I could just throw a leg over. Oh well in the mean time I suppose sourcing a cheap 40mm stem will be my best bet, and do a bit of experimentation with the Alias set up.

The other train of thought was that if I'm to indeed use the Rampage for the riding it was designed for then getting the XS rather than the S shouldn't be a problem anyway. But if I end up doing mainly XC on a bike that's designer for more than that then I suppose that's where I could run into sizing issues. I suppose in the end it comes down to buying a bike that suits the riding.

They could well be dlivered the wrong way around :D

·
I AM I AM
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something I would really like to know, which is not so much of a personal question is how much the frame weighs and the whole bike. I have heard that Norco may have saved 0.5kg off the frame? How much was last years frame in weight?

·
There's no app for this.
5,369 Posts
let me send you

over to www.nsmb.com; join their forums as there are many more Norco experts there and they can field more Q's.

It's more juvenile over there but the reviews and help can be outstanding.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts