Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding my 2021 Trance X for about 6 weeks now and having a lot of fun. But there are a few things I'm noticing and I want your opinions as long-time riders (I'm a noob). Here's the issue: Almost every time I ride, for a few days afterwards, I get really bad pain in my left wrist, like tendon pain on the far left-side (pinky side) going down past my wrist. Something is inflaming that tendon when I ride. So, I started doing more research into what could be causing this.

I'm riding a size large and I'm wondering if there's a reach and RAD problem. I watched a number of MTB sizing videos on figuring proper RAD and reach. According to their calculations, my reach is about 454mm and my RAD is 812mm (I'm just a hair under 6' tall with a ~34" inseam). The Giant Trance X in a large has a reach of 486 and a RAD of ~882.65mm with the stock stem and handlebars. The delta are 32mm in the reach and 70.65mm in the RAD. That about 1.26" in the reach and 2.78" in the RAD. Would this/could this be leading to my wrist pain because I'm farther extended over the handlebars than I should be and putting too much weight forward instead of on the bike's center (NOT 'heavy feet/light hands')? Should I experiment with something like 1) slightly shorter stem, 2) different handlebars with some rise, and 3) fatter grips? I really love riding but I need to solve this. I can't have pain in my wrists every time I spend an hour or two bashing up and down hills... Thanks.

·
aka "SirLurkAlot"
628 Posts
Yep, determine your handlebar sweep angle, that can really help!
I agree with everything mentioned and can tell you from experience that sweep can have a big impact.

I experienced an avulsion fracture in my hand. Since then, I've changed my riding position with less reach and a more upright position. Additionally, I run non-traditional alternative bars. I run On-One Mary bars upside down. It looks funky but works really well.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. The default handlebar is Giant Contact TR35, 780x35mm, 20mm rise. I'm thinking that bar sweep and, possibly, the length of the bars could be an issue. I'll keep researching and appreciate everyone's responses. Glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Re. sweep, I made a 'sweep-o-meter' using a new pair of Ergon grips that have the little pivoting plastic do-dats on the packaging so you can 'try' them. Rip those off the card and tie a piece of string between them to establish your desired bar width and hey presto.... I repeated the measurements a load of times and ended up getting the SQ Labs 16 degree bars.

·
Registered
2020 Santa Cruz Tallboy C
172 Posts
Does the shop you bought your bike at have a bike fit service? Look around locally and talk to people who have a methodical approach to bike fit.
Old injuries, arthritis, flexibility issues all play into this as well. RAD sizing is one persons theory which may or may not work for you. Approach fit from a problem solving perspective, understand the problem, find the root cause, and correct.

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,784 Posts
I’ve done two things for my wrists/hands that seemed to have solved my almost debilitating pain. First, I‘ve gone with a handlebar with significant sweep: 29° using the Carver MiTi Carbon bar. I started with it on my rigid singlespeed and it worked wonders — made it MORE comfortable than my full suspension with a wider 9° sweep bar. So I got that bar for my full suspension and it was better, but not “perfect”. I then realized that the seat on my full suspension was over an inch further forward in relation to the bottom bracket than my older school single speed, and that resulted in far more weight on my hands on the full suspension bike. I bought a new dropper seat post (9point8 Fall Line R) that has 25mm of setback and that gets my hips further back and allows me to support more of my weight when seated on my bum and legs. Absolutely an amazing improvement in comfort and, for this old school guy, a better pedaling position to-boot! Turns out “modern geometry” with the steep seat tube angle makes it difficult for me to get the weight off my hands. My saddle-to-grips measurement on the full suspension is now an inch longer (could fix that with a new stem) but I actually have far less weight on my hands because my hips are further back. I’ll keep it that way because when I stand up for descents and cornering the grips are in the right place. Bottom line…consider your seat position as well as the sweep (and width) of your bars.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does the shop you bought your bike at have a bike fit service? Look around locally and talk to people who have a methodical approach to bike fit.
Old injuries, arthritis, flexibility issues all play into this as well. RAD sizing is one persons theory which may or may not work for you. Approach fit from a problem solving perspective, understand the problem, find the root cause, and correct.
Yes, here's my plan: I'm taking the bike back in on Friday for a free tune-up. I'll let them know of my issues and see if they have a fitting service. They sell a ton of bikes so I'm hoping that they know something about bike fit. What I really want them to do is figure out a possible fix in the handlebar rise/sweep and maybe stem length. I'll drive them nuts until we come up with a solution. One thing no one has mentioned is going with fatter grips. I'm running PNW loam grips, which are not the fattest option. I'm wondering if a slightly fatter grip would help too, like an Ergon GA2. Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This bothered me for years. Decades maybe. Finally couple of years ago I decided enough was enough. I spent a ton of time & money switching out bars, stems, grips, you name it. Totally adjusted my riding position. What finally worked for me (everybodys body is totally different) was riser bars. Big ol’ riser bars. 80 mm. So damn comfortable now. No wrist pain. No neck pain. No back pain. I’m lovin’ it!
I learned I can’t have any of my body weight going forward.

·
Registered
2021 Giant Trance X 29 2
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This bothered me for years. Decades maybe. Finally couple of years ago I decided enough was enough. I spent a ton of time & money switching out bars, stems, grips, you name it. Totally adjusted my riding position. What finally worked for me (everybodys body is totally different) was riser bars. Big ol’ riser bars. 80 mm. So damn comfortable now. No wrist pain. No neck pain. No back pain. I’m lovin’ it!
I learned I can’t have any of my body weight going forward.
"spent a ton of time & money switching out bars, stems, grips, you name it". That's what I don't want to do. :)
Seriously, there has to be an algorithm for figuring-out the best fit, and whether it requires a riser bar, shorter stem, more sweep, etc... I'm hoping that when I drop by the bike shop on Friday, they can give me some solid advice. Thanks for your experience. Glad to know I'm not the only one out here with these issues.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have three bikes, my hard tail with a flat bar is the most uncomfortable To my wrist and hands. I am using the ergo-paddle style grips which helps and allow me to cock my hands and wrist differently.

My bikepacking (Surly Ogre) bike has a Surly Moloko bar and it is my absolute favorite as far as hand position goes.

My Trek Rig Single Speed Gravel conversion I am running a Surly Corner Bar (semi-drop) and while I love the bar my back hurts if I ride too far.

So all in all, for longer riding I tend to take the Ogre as I am most comfortable on it and never have pain. The others I am coping with by changing up my position and grips. Much like on my motorcycles it is all about experimenting with seat position, handle bar and grip type and reach.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.